Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 395 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sticker,375x360.png
    297759-i.jpg
    tickertape2[1].jpg
    U.S._Bullion_Depository.jpg
    image.jpg
    Screenshot - 10052014 - 11:46:40 AM.png
    image002.gif
    image-708.jpg
    you-know-nothing.jpg
    classic car storage.jpg
    image-103.jpg
    deadhorse.jpg
    this.gif
    in-the-year-2000.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 395 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
    #301 9 years ago
    Quoted from misfitdart:

I agree with this post, congrats for knowing how to live and not apologizing for it.

If you are gonna throw it out there, don't cry about it if you get smacked down……….No apologies, agreed…..

#302 9 years ago

It's not paying hypothetical 25% more than a guy who waited half a year that's keeping people from buying NiB. It's not getting any good code sooner than that guy. Why buy new when the game is only going to be done months later?

#303 9 years ago

For everyone who says the value doesn't matter...what if stern ran a tron premium VE that plays exactly like the LE?

#304 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

My retirement account is all mutual funds.
    My muni-bond account is like watching paint dry.
    My investment account is my trading account.

Doesn't anyone have a defined benefit pension plan for retirement?

Let's not bring up Bethlehem Steel or some of the airlines. At least the PBGC protects annual payouts to about $59k/year. That's why there is a PBGC these days. Unfortunately, a lot of retired pilots who lived in Hawaii with $125k/yr pensions had to move back to the mainland.

#305 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

For everyone who says the value doesn't matter...what if stern ran a tron premium VE that plays exactly like the LE?

Because if you buy an LE it's a limited edition. End of story. "Out of the vault" means it existed already. There was never a Tron Premium so therefore it cannot come out of the vault.

Trekkie - Ask yourself if you really want to be a useful part of the pinball community or an annoying troll. So far your contributions consist of whining about prices/resale and Tron LE's exclusivity. Broader your scope or you'll just be "that guy"

#306 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Let's not bring up Bethlehem Steel or some of the airlines. At least the PBGC protects annual payouts to about $59k/year. That's why there is a PBGC these days. Unfortunately, a lot of retired pilots who lived in Hawaii with $125k/yr pensions had to move back to the mainland.

Defined benefit won't be around too much longer.

It is an unsustainable retirement. That's what is it bankrupting NJ and it bankrupted GM.

#307 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Because if you buy an LE it's a limited edition. End of story. "Out of the vault" means it existed already. There was never a Tron Premium so therefore it cannot come out of the vault.
    Trekkie - Ask yourself if you really want to be a useful part of the pinball community or an annoying troll. So far your contributions consist of whining about prices/resale and TRON LE's exclusivity. Broader your scope or you'll just be "that guy"

But it doesn't matter.

Didn't you see the way I got hammered in this thread??? It has been brought to my attention that taking bath on a pinball machine is the way things should be. So why protect LE owners if they are only expected to take a bath??? I'm only using everyone else's logic.

Call me that guy all you want.

I'm still waiting for someone to tear my argument apart. Instead, I've been ridiculed all the while prices are falling.

#308 9 years ago

Healthcare was a bigger part of GM's problems and retired employees of the old GM still get their pension money every month. Old General motors was a healthcare provider that also happened to design, develop and build automobiles.

I plan on collecting two pensions until I kick the bucket.

#309 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

But it doesn't matter.
    Didn't you see the way I got hammered in this thread??? It has been brought to my attention that taking bath on a pinball machine is the way things should be. So why protect LE owners if they are only expected to take a bath??? I'm only using everyone else's logic.
    Call me that guy all you want.
    I'm still waiting for someone to tear my argument apart. Instead, I've been ridiculed all the while prices are falling.

You constantly combine different things with different contexts into the same argument.

Stern makes Limited Edition games because they want buyers to believe they're buying something with collector value. Whether it goes up or down in value is besides the point. It may go up. It may go down. It may go up after it goes down. Who knows! Who cares. To expect them to make more LE games because LE values are down is asinine.

Your argument has been torn apart many times in this thread and you've ignored it all. In any case -what IS your endgame of this discussion? What happens if "you're right" and we agree with you? Everyone ceases to buy NIB games? You pop up in other threads with your "take a bath" and "wait and get it for 25% less" logic...very trollish. To try to make people feel like they're dumb for buying new games is just a dick thing to do. Do you go on, I dunno - Dyson Vacuum forums and tell people they're stupid for buying new vacuums for $500 when they can get a used one for $200? Some people LIKE buying NEW things for NEW prices and DON'T CAAAARE or feel shitty about it! Stop trying to make people feel shitty about it! It makes you a useless troll on Pinside. Sorry you made a "mistake" and paid more for your STLE than the rest of us...seems like you're now on a mission to stop people from making your "mistake".

People are going to buy new shit. Get over it. There's nothing wrong with it. Buy used games from now on if that's your thing. Nothing wrong with that either...but you can do it without insulting NIB buyers.

#310 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Some people LIKE buying NEW things for NEW prices and DON'T CAAAARE or feel shitty about it! Stop trying to make people feel shitty about it!

Like you said, people like buying new stuff, and don't feel shitty about it. He, or whomever else can try all he/they wants to get people to feel like shit. If you don't care buying the new stuff, then you really shouldn't care about the opinions of other people anyway. Aslong you're happy that's what matters.
    They really can't insult me because i buy NIB.

Opinions are just what they are, opinions. You either agree or don't. And then move on.

#311 9 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

buy low...sell high

yep, perfect the fine art of flipping.

#312 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Not many of those left in the US that aren't frozen unless you work for the Gov't (no politics, it's just the reality given changes in accounting law that apply to public companies but not the Gov't).

#313 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Healthcare was a bigger part of GM's problems and retired employees of the old GM still get their pension money every month. Old General motors was a healthcare provider that also happened to design, develop and build automobiles.
    I plan on collecting two pensions until I kick the bucket.

In 2003, GM issued $13 billion in bonds to pay for pensions.

In NJ, police are retiring with pensions paying $100,000+...when they turn 55. That is not sustainable.

#314 9 years ago
    Quoted from goodgameslover:

Like you said, people like buying new stuff, and don't feel shitty about it. He, or whomever else can try all he/they wants to get people to feel like shit. If you don't care buying the new stuff, then you really shouldn't care about the opinions of other people anyway. Aslong you're happy that's what matters.
    They really can't insult me because i buy NIB.
    Opinions are just what they are, opinions. You either agree or don't. And then move on.

I love buying new stuff.

If I can buy something 98% new at 25% off...that'll change my buying habits.

BTW, your picture thingy is f-ing awesome!!!

#315 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You constantly combine different things with different contexts into the same argument.
    Stern makes Limited Edition games because they want buyers to believe they're buying something with collector value. Whether it goes up or down in value is besides the point. It may go up. It may go down. It may go up after it goes down. Who knows! Who cares. To expect them to make more LE games because LE values are down is asinine.
    Your argument has been torn apart many times in this thread and you've ignored it all. In any case -what IS your endgame of this discussion? What happens if "you're right" and we agree with you? Everyone ceases to buy NIB games? You pop up in other threads with your "take a bath" and "wait and get it for 25% less" logic...very trollish. To try to make people feel like they're dumb for buying new games is just a dick thing to do. Do you go on, I dunno - Dyson Vacuum forums and tell people they're stupid for buying new vacuums for $500 when they can get a used one for $200? Some people LIKE buying NEW things for NEW prices and DON'T CAAAARE or feel shitty about it! Stop trying to make people feel shitty about it! It makes you a useless troll on Pinside. Sorry you made a "mistake" and paid more for your STLE than the rest of us...seems like you're now on a mission to stop people from making your "mistake".
    People are going to buy new shit. Get over it. There's nothing wrong with it. Buy used games from now on if that's your thing. Nothing wrong with that either...but you can do it without insulting NIB buyers.

You misunderstood what I meant. I'm being told that resale prices don't matter. If that is truly the case, then Stern should just rerun the high priced LEs. But if LE owners don't want their LEs rerun, because it will hurt their value...then resale price does matter. So which is it? Do resale prices matter or resale prices don't matter?

If my opinion is making people feel shitty, then I suggest they need to see a mental help professional immediately.

I gave my OPINION, backed up with economic THEORY, and used HISTORICAL EXAMPLES. And what happens? I get attacked and not my message.

I actually have people blasting me for saying that pinball machines are not assets...not assets? The basic definition of an asset is: valuable person or thing; something that is owned by a person, company, etc.

The sad thing, is if I end up being right...that means NIB LE prices of $8,000 will drop down do $6,500 (just a guess). Cheaper prices for everyone and that makes me the bad guy.

#316 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

BTW, your picture thingy is f-ing awesome!!!

How can a pic of Optimus Prime be anything less then f-ing awesome?

#317 9 years ago

"Entertainment can mean a lot of different things. Basically, anything that you do for pleasure that is not a required expenditure. Big ticket items in this category include such costs as boats, campers, snowmobiles and ATVs, as well as the costs that go along with them such as insurance, gas, maintenance, and any trailer costs. The day to day entertainment expenses that you’ll want to add to your budget include such things as movie theaters, dinner theaters, social events, parties at home or away, going out with your friends, trips to museums or sporting events, and anything else that you do for pleasure that isn’t a vacation. Other expenses that fit this category include your TV, satellite, cable, Netflix, or Hulu subscriptions, as well as any video game costs."

#318 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Defined benefit won't be around too much longer.
    It is an unsustainable retirement. That's what is it bankrupting NJ and it bankrupted GM.

Contractual and promised defined-benefit pensions are "unsustainable" for the average worker, while $20 million salaries for CEO's are never questioned. I'm so tired of hearing this nonsense. As long as the average American keeps barking downhill instead of uphill while his/her standard of living continues to be diminished, things will continue to get worse and worse for the vast majority of us.

#319 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Contractual and promised defined-benefit pensions are "unsustainable" for the average worker, while $20 million salaries for CEO's are never questioned. I'm so tired of hearing this nonsense. As long as the average American keeps barking downhill instead of uphill while his/her standard of living continues to be diminished, things will continue to get worse and worse for the vast majority of us.

If you don't believe me, do the match on social security. I need to live to 120 in order to break even on social security.

Paying someone 30 years of retirement is not sustainable. Don't get mad at me, get mad at math.

Defined pensions worked great when people were dying at 65. Now people live till 80.

As for CEOs making $20 million, only a few do and only a few can do what they can do. It's no different from sports players. The reason why the greeter at Walmart makes $8/hour is because everyone can do that job.

#320 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If you don't believe me, do the match on social security. I need to live to 120 in order to break even on social security.
    Paying someone 30 years of retirement is not sustainable. Don't get mad at me, get mad at math.
    Defined pensions worked great when people were dying at 65. Now people live till 80.
    As for CEOs making $20 million, only a few do and only a few can do what they can do. It's no different from sports players. The reason why the greeter at Walmart makes $8/hour is because everyone can do that job.

And several large corporations like Viacom, Disney, Time Warner, CBS, Comcast, CVS, Exxon, Marathon, ATT, Ford, etc. pay much more than the $20,000,000 I mentioned. The point is as the middle class continues to get squeezed, be ready for some major social upheaval that could come knocking on your door one day. I'm not going to continue on as this is marching dangerously toward politics, but it's definitely difficult to talk economics without politics coming into play.

Based on your post, you seem to support Law of the Jungle, laissez faire economics. That works well for the privileged and connected. But we're talking about people here. And when they can't feed their families, their "free market" is to come take it from those who can. That's not the society that I want to live in, thank you very much.

#321 9 years ago

basically the problem here is you are a self-descried a-hole but can't take it when other people call you one.

#322 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You misunderstood what I meant. I'm being told that resale prices don't matter. If that is truly the case, then Stern should just rerun the high priced LEs. But if LE owners don't want their LEs rerun, because it will hurt their value...then resale price does matter. So which is it? Do resale prices matter or resale prices don't matter?
    If my opinion is making people feel shitty, then I suggest they need to see a mental help professional immediately.
    I gave my OPINION, backed up with economic THEORY, and used HISTORICAL EXAMPLES. And what happens? I get attacked and not my message.
    I actually have people blasting me for saying that pinball machines are not assets...not assets? The basic definition of an asset is: valuable person or thing; something that is owned by a person, company, etc.
    The sad thing, is if I end up being right...that means NIB LE prices of $8,000 will drop down do $6,500 (just a guess). Cheaper prices for everyone and that makes me the bad guy.

Historically most assets drop in value unless demand exceeds supply. Is remaking games disrupting the old value system yes (it's setting the high at least in the short term). Companies are going to remake games if there is enough profit. Easier to remake a known quantity and customer desire than risk on a new one. Low hanging fruit you might say.

New customers have a desire for 90's machines from their childhood or young adulthood. Supply got constrained and prices rose. Manufacturers saw an opportunity to make money and increased supply thereby lowering prices. Free Market 101.

Bubble burst on ponzi spouting flippers who pumped the idea of constant rising value. Now things seem to be returning to just higher than normal prices. Only high quality complete games will see demand in the new buyer savy highly demanding consumer who would be I got to shell out $8000 for a game.

So the biggest thing I see is risk that used to be bourne by the flipper is now on the manufacturers and distributors. If a title busts then they take the loss. I got a WOF that way others got a CV. Funny how opinions changed on those titles even though they sold for blowout prices.

Biggest risk I see to boutique builders is not mechanical and build quality. It is will the code be complete and awesome. We will see soon.

#323 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

shouldnt this be the expectation when you buy something new? The alternative is to wait and save.

I would also like to say difference of opinion is not necessarily an attack, nor does it make anyone "bad"

Finally, I think the issue is that we keep talking like pinball is some sort of investment/retirement plan with an expectation. Granted pinball overall has done well financially, it seems the classics/collectible models like AFM, TAF, MB (like a 67 camaro) may be considered somewhat of an investment, at least for now. but never would I buy a brand new machine and expected it not to drop some in value. In fact, many drop first, then come back up once they become collectible.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

This is absolutely an option for Stern, and if they see it as profitable and can secure again the license, it can be done. It is what it is..... And because there are so many buyers for TRON, prices continue going up, Stern can identify where there is demand (they can add supply).

Ultimately the best model for Sterns bottom line is to raise the price on LE's so it takes 2 weeks to sell out, instead of 2 days, and re-release non-limited games that have a strong demand. For example if a game is bringing $5k used, stern can sell them new for the same and capture the revenue. They are in business to make money. It's not the best for "investment collectors" that's for sure. When MMR hits the ground and future Williams releases come out, same goes for the classics.

THEN YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO BUY FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME, it will no longer be about the money, or how the "investment" is doing

#324 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If I can buy something 98% new at 25% off...that'll change my buying habits.

When you describe it like that it all sounds logical. Only one problem, humans aren't logical.

When emotions get involved logic takes a backseat. Example? Just look at the crazy stuff many have with Apple. Look at the madness for the latest iphone 6. People camping days on end for a phone?
    A friend of mine works in a phonestore, and sold the last model. They opened at night, and had hundereds of people lining up for it. They sold their iphone 5s for 300 euro, even though some had just purchased that phone like 6 months ago for 700 euro. The needed to have that latest model so bad they took more then 50% hit for it. And i can names many many more examples. What about the ps4 launch or any other launch of consoles or some games? Or back in the old days people camping before a store that sold tickets for their favorite band. I know people who did this way back to get the chance to see Michael Jackson live.

Every human has stuff takes makes them forget this basic logic and let the heart and desire take over. Humans are like that, and will always be like that. Having such emotions is a big part that defines us as a species.

#325 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

And several large corporations like Viacom, Disney, Time Warner, CBS, Comcast, CVS, Exxon, Marathon, ATT, Ford, etc. pay much more than the $20,000,000 I mentioned. The point is as the middle class continues to get squeezed, be ready for some major social upheaval that could come knocking on your door one day. I'm not going to continue on as this is marching dangerously toward politics, but it's definitely difficult to talk economics without politics coming into play.
    Based on your post, you seem to support Law of the Jungle, laissez faire economics. That works well for the privileged and connected. But we're talking about people here. And when they can't feed their families, their "free market" is to come take it from those who can. That's not the society that I want to live in, thank you very much.

I disagree, it is very easy to talk economics without politics. Economics isn't political, it is what it is. When people put their personal feelings into it, they ignore what economics is and they make it political.

Let's look at Bob Iger (CEO if Disney). His salary is $2 million per year. In 2013, Disney had revenues of $45 billion with a profit of $6 billion. The rest of his compensation, is all based on company performance. If the company does well, he does well. Under his leadership, from 2011 to 2013, he increased profit $1.8 billion, while increasing revenues $5 billion. The stock has reacted accordingly, by doubling in that time period...which, happens to be own by practically everyone who has a mutual fund...thus, benefiting you. Because the company did well, he did well and made almost $40 million last year. To reiterate, he's running a worldwide company, with I don't know how many different subsidiaries, that brings in $45 billion or revenue and $6 billion of profit. Seems like fair compensation to me.

To prove that it is fair compensation...the stockholders have said nothing about it. Disney is a private company (meaning not government owned). The only people who have a voice in how the company is run, is the stockholders. If one doesn't have any shares, then one has zero say in how Disney is run. I personally own 0.000001% of the company, so that is how much say I have in how the company is run.

This country became the most powerful in the world because of laissez faire economics...which is another word for freedom. Free people can live the life they dream. We are all better for it today. Imagine if Thomas Edison had to go to some government bureaucrat to ask for permission and/or funding to invent the lightbulb? Or the Wright brothers to invent an airplane? Bell for the phone? Those men lived in a much more free society than we have today, and it has improved all of our lives. Imagine the Wright brothers trying to invent the airplane today with OSHA all over their back. Would never happen.

Can anyone point to a society that has a higher standard of living their ours? None. Nada. Zip. Our poor in this country have TVs, cars, air conditioning, cell phones, etc. Same can't be said for other countries.

If we're gonna live in a world where we don't value freedom, but rather equality in results, then people who have more pinball machines than me, should be forced to give me their machines to make us equal. That isn't freedom, that is oppression.

Now in regards to the privileged and connected. Crony capitalism is not freedom, it is oppression..that's why it is crony. 100 years ago, business and politics were separate. Today? Nope, not anymore. I am against this 100%...it is taking the power of freedom from the people and giving it the few...the connected. That's why big business loves politicians. Those politicians can create a regulatory environment to keep other businesses out. That's why big business donates to both republicans and democrats.

#326 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

In 2003, GM issued $13 billion in bonds to pay for pensions.
    In NJ, police are retiring with pensions paying $100,000+...when they turn 55. That is not sustainable.

I agree, Police who barely made 100k/yr with 100k annual pensions are not sustainable.

My pensions are not government related. One is limited due to a company spinoff, the other was frozen a few years ago. But I plan to draw on both of them.

#327 9 years ago
    Quoted from goodgameslover:

When you describe it like that it all sounds logical. Only one problem, humans aren't logical.
    When emotions get involved logic takes a backseat. Example? Just look at the crazy stuff many have with Apple. Look at the madness for the latest iphone 6. People camping days on end for a phone?
    A friend of mine works in a phonestore, and sold the last model. They opened at night, and had hundereds of people lining up for it. They sold their iphone 5s for 300 euro, even though some had just purchased that phone like 6 months ago for 700 euro. The needed to have that latest model so bad they took more then 50% hit for it. And i can names many many more examples. What about the ps4 launch or any other launch of consoles or some games? Or back in the old days people camping before a store that sold tickets for their favorite band. I know people who did this way back to get the chance to see Michael Jackson live.
    Every human has stuff takes makes them forget this basic logic and let the heart and desire take over. Humans are like that, and will always be like that. Having such emotions is a big part that defines us as a species.

PlayStation 3, I'll never forget when that came out. I went to Best Buy on a Monday to go get something...I pull up and what do I see? A line of people about 150 deep. Now, in this line, I saw PARENTS with their CHILDREN!!!! Parents, who are taking off of work and their children out of school, in order to get a video game system (not blasting video games, I still play them). To me, and probably a lot of others, that is just wrong. If I had kids, I would never take them out of school for days in order to get a video game...life saving drug is one thing, but a video game??? I'm ignoring the fact that the launch games for PS3 were weak.

That's why the stock market has violent swings, people let their emotions get the best of them.

I have the 5S, everyone asks me when I'm getting the 6...I tell them I'll probably get the 7 or 8.

There will come a time when Apple is no longer the cool product. When? No clue. I just know everyday that passes, means we are one day closer to that. For full disclosure, I own Apple stock and their products. So I am a fan of the company. Unless Apple falters and Microsoft picks up their game, I can never see me using another Microsoft product (excluding Xbox...I really like that).

#328 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I agree, Police who barely made 100k/yr with 100k annual pensions are not sustainable.
    My pensions are not government related. One is limited due to a company spinoff, the other was frozen a few years ago. But I plan to draw on both of them.

Please tell me that you don't just have empathy for those you can relate to. That's like the guy who says that he was against gay marriage until he found out that his daughter was gay. So, public employees should be screwed out of their promised pensions?

#329 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Crony capitalism is not freedom, it is oppression..that's why it is crony. 100 years ago, business and politics were separate. Today? Nope, not anymore. I am against this 100%...it is taking the power of freedom from the people and giving it the few...the connected. That's why big business loves politicians. Those politicians can create a regulatory environment to keep other businesses out. That's why big business donates to both republicans and democrats.

I agree. The problem is that it is so entrenched now that it has ruined our democracy. But, this is capitalism gone wild, where the corporate world actually owns the government with lobbying and and political contributions. The already slanted table goes a total 90 degrees in their direction when that happens.

#330 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

But if LE owners don't want their LEs rerun, because it will hurt their value...then resale price does matter.

Don't you want to get it? While the value drop might be shit that's not the point. LIMITED EDITION is the point ffs. The whole prestige is gone when you don't own number 125 of 500 anymore but 125 of 500 of production run number 1 of 20.
    You would rob it of it's inherit SUBJECTIVE value of being a LIMITED EDITION.

I own a Warlok. Only 412 have ever been made and that was 1982. It is very limited, yet still not super expensive. The value of it being seldom is not directly connected with it's monetary value but with the very subjective prestige of owning a rare pin.

Likewise the premium I would have to pay for a NiB right now as to 6 months later for an almost mint pin might be totally worth it to me, just so I can enjoy a great game that much sooner.
    What's hurting NiB is the coding being incomplete for most of that time.
    That, again, is subjective value. Others don't mind at all to play the game along the code being updated but it sure is a reason for a decend amount of people to cancel their order.

Stern needs to get their stuff together with their software developement. Get the code out quickly and people will order LEs NiB faster than you can announce them.

#331 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Please tell me that you don't just have empathy for those you can relate to. That's like the guy who says that he was against gay marriage until he found out that his daughter was gay. So, public employees should be screwed out of their promised pensions?

I don't blame the employees who were promised the pensions. It isn't their fault.

The fault is with the politicians, who made these promises when they knew they couldn't deliver. At the end of the day, they made them to get voted in. They gave our more promises to keep getting reelected.

Back in the day, public workers had pensions because they were underpaid for their services. That is no longer the case today. Cops and firemen in my area, make over $100k. $100k is top 10% of all wage earners in the country. At that level, they can afford to save for their own retirement.

At the end of the day, politicians made promises with other peoples' money. When spending other peoples' money, responsibility isn't something that is considered.

#332 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kugelhagelfisch:

Don't you want to get it? While the value drop might be shit that's not the point. LIMITED EDITION is the point ffs. The whole prestige is gone when you don't own number 125 of 500 anymore but 125 of 500 of production run number 1 of 20.
    You would rob it of it's inherit SUBJECTIVE value of being a LIMITED EDITION.
    I own a Warlok. Only 412 have ever been made and that was 1982. It is very limited, yet still not super expensive. The value of it being seldom is not directly connected with it's monetary value but with the very subjective prestige of owning a rare pin.
    Likewise the premium I would have to pay for a NiB right now as to 6 months later for an almost mint pin might be totally worth it to me, just so I can enjoy a great game that much sooner.
    What's hurting NiB is the coding being incomplete for most of that time.
    That, again, is subjective value. Others don't mind at all to play the game along the code being updated but it sure is a reason for a decend amount of people to cancel their order.
    Stern needs to get their stuff together with their software developement. Get the code out quickly and people will order LEs NiB faster than you can announce them.

I understand what you're saying, I really do. But here's the problem with the argument being made against what I'm saying. If monetary value is meaningless (argument against me), then subjective value really has no meaning.

To play devil's advocate about the code having an effect on sales. From what I have read, X-Men has a great code to the game. The code is complete. Those pins are selling NIB less than they were 2 years ago. Yet, distributors still have them. Why?

You're not gonna get an argument from me about Stern's slowness with code. How long did it take from the first time they announced Bones custom speech in ST, to us finally getting that? 8, 9, 10 months or so? I really don't remember, because it was the long ago that his speech pack was announced.

#333 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I don't blame the employees who were promised the pensions. It isn't their fault.
    The fault is with the politicians, who made these promises when they knew they couldn't deliver. At the end of the day, they made them to get voted in. They gave our more promises to keep getting reelected.
    Back in the day, public workers had pensions because they were underpaid for their services. That is no longer the case today. Cops and firemen in my area, make over $100k. $100k is top 10% of all wage earners in the country. At that level, they can afford to save for their own retirement.
    At the end of the day, politicians made promises with other peoples' money. When spending other peoples' money, responsibility isn't something that is considered.

Are you sure that those aren't the salaries of the upper echelon in the force? Traffic cops make 100K? That doesn't sound accurate.

#334 9 years ago

<blockquote cite="#1944009"
    To play devil's advocate about the code having an effect on sales. From what I have read, X-Men has a great code to the game. The code is complete. Those pins are selling NIB less than they were 2 years ago. Yet, distributors still have them. Why?

Why? Let's try:

Xmen is a shooters game. If your not good it gets old. So that's a plus for high end players and a negative for the broader market.

Late to get code done so movie tie in is stale.

Due to the delay more and arguably better pin choices available (MET, ACDC, WOZ) that cannibalize sales of XMEN.

NIB consumers has many choices and is demanding.

XMEN may over time increase in value but the reasons above are causing at least short term pricing pressure.

#335 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Not at all, my late dad was a municipal employee who had a pension. It was nowhere near 100% of his annual pay though. Disclaimer, he also had Social Security. The total of the two was about 60% of his average pay during his final years working.

I'll bet the New Jersey example did not allow contribution to FICA. Thus, their pension should be higher than those with a 40% pension and Social Security draw.

#336 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I understand what you're saying, I really do. But here's the problem with the argument being made against what I'm saying. If monetary value is meaningless (argument against me), then subjective value really has no meaning.

i missed the part where people said monetary value was meaningless. i see a lot of people saying it's not the ultimate and only consideration.

i mean a brand new machine losing significant resale value is hardly unique to pinball. sure, you can if you want be the kinds of person who only buys second-hand furniture, cars, appliances, etc etc, and you can save money that way. go for it. but don't come on here and try to tell people that those choices are the only valid way to live or something.

#337 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

X-men's code isn't really THAT good. Just because it's "better than awful" (when it came out), doesn't mean it's so great that everyone's going to flip around on it. X-Men has a lot of "out of the box" issues...Wolverine placement, bad aux boards, rattley spinning disc - it's possible many that actually want an X-Men would rather get one HUO that's been dialed in. Even with that out of the way, it has some ear-bleedingly horrible voices (Beast & Storm) and rules that some call "deep" but is really just "a lot of stuff". It doesn't have the nuance or polish or excitement of a game like AC/DC or Tron. Sure, there are a few vocal X-Men lovers...but that's not going to turn the tide on its reputation and make people want to run out and buy it new at this point.

#338 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I didn't misunderstand anything and I already explained this to you a few posts up. An LE is an LE. Resale matters to some, doesn't matter to others. It's not for Stern to decide what maters to people, but they themselves have decided Limited Edition MEANS Limited Edition. That concept has kept them in business over the past few years because people will snap them up due to their limited nature. They're not going to destroy it by remaking an LE.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You're coming off as a bully, blaming the victim. You're constantly telling people they're wrong for buying NIB games (even though you've done it yourself). You're like a parent who's done bad things but then tells their kids never to do those things.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

...and your theory has been burst by people who've been collecting pinball and know about pinball for much longer than you. Pinball pricing has been relatively immune to economic factors. This is a fact and makes your historic economic examples irrelevant to this hobby. You've been attacked because of your repeated trollish behavior on this topic.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Sure, but they're not STOCKS. Their value doesn't behave like stocks.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Once again, you're combining two entirely different things. NIB games & their subsequent value, and "the price of games" overall. And once again, you keep using that $8000 number...because that's what you paid for your STLE. Sorry, you paid too much. Sorry, you seem to be super hurt about it, and that seems to be what's driving your trolling on this topic. Sorry, people will continue to buy NIB games, regardless of "instant value drop", just like every product on the planet. People like new stuff. Get. Over. It.

You're obsessed with STLE and it's value within the first year of its release. You're new to pinball, so I can see why you look at it in a very short term way. Games need to be around for a long time to get a reputation for its demand to rise. That's now a game will go up from its NIB price...but that WILL NOT happen within the year it came out...or maybe even 2 or 3. Or ever! But the STLE scenario you've glommed onto is ONE GAME...with a context. That doesn't represent the state of ALL GAMES. Some go up, some go down, it's game specific.

#339 9 years ago

Life is good. I just went hiking and now I'm playing pinball

#340 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Not at all, my late dad was a municipal employee who had a pension. It was nowhere near 100% of his annual pay though. Disclaimer, he also had Social Security. The total of the two was about 60% of his average pay during his final years working.
    I'll bet the New Jersey example did not allow contribution to FICA. Thus, their pension should be higher than those with a 40% pension and Social Security draw.

I am a public school teacher here in Michigan. I can tell you that our pension is calculated by taking the average of your 3 highest consecutive years in terms of salary X Service credit (years) X 1.5%. In the end, that amounts to about 40% of your highest avg. compensation after 30 years. There might be some instances of overly generous pensions, perhaps in some municipalities, but that is not the case with the teacher pension system. I can tell you that. Couple that with wages and job security going down, while red tape, responsibilities, healthcare, and personal contributions to the retirement system skyrocketing, it's not looking very good long-term. Luckily, I still like the core of the job. But it's becoming less and less desirable. That's for certain.

#341 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

I am a public school teacher here in Michigan. I can tell you that our pension is calculated by taking the average of your 3 highest consecutive years in terms of salary X Service credit (years) X 1.5%. In the end, that amounts to about 40% of your highest avg. compensation after 30 years.

State plans are certainly variable and getting tighter but they are typically still far better than most private industry. I'd love to have the option to retire after 30 years of service at 55 with 40% of my salary and annual cost-of-living increases. Opening a pinball bar could actually happen. Not begrudging any public employee getting this type of reasonable pension after so many years of service. But just having a DB pension plan these days is a very attractive benefit.

#342 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Are you sure that those aren't the salaries of the upper echelon in the force? Traffic cops make 100K? That doesn't sound accurate.

Traffic cop??? New Jersey isn't NYC.

Cops in NJ make $100k. That is the norm here, not the exception.

#343 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Can anyone point to a society that has a higher standard of living their ours? None. Nada. Zip.

Ummm....yeah, Sweden.

#344 9 years ago

Don't know about future values, but apparently current prices are pretty high still.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-4-of-11-restored-or-huo-pins-then-sale-is-over

#345 9 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

I'd love to have the option to retire after 30 years of service at 55 with 40% of my salary and annual cost-of-living increases.

Yup. My brother had a state job and retired with more like 65% of his salary at age 55. Sweet deal. I expect to work until I am 67, and it is unlikely even then that I'll match his income. He's extremely fortunate to have gotten that deal when he did. My parents, too, were the beneficiaries of a generous but now disappearing retirement system. Luckily, I enjoy my job, but it's hard not to be a bit envious of those who have substantial guaranteed retirement income.

#346 9 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

Don't know about future values, but apparently current prices are pretty high still.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-4-of-11-restored-or-huo-pins-then-sale-is-over

Those are all at I don't want to sell it price. I would be curious as to what actually sells and for how much.

#347 9 years ago
    Quoted from Imeh:

That's the funniest for sale thread we have seen in a long time.

#348 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The "labor participation rate" is declining every month and is the lowest in history. Yeah, things are great. The market was down 250 the day before. Wages?

http://cr4re.com/images/PopDist.gif

#349 9 years ago

By x-mas, LE prices will be...image.jpgimage.jpg

#350 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Mustang, Avengers, x-men, Transformers, Avatar....clear trend has formed.

I think the fact you have only been exposed to the hobby for 2 years has given you a limited amount of data to draw your opinions from. I say exposed because you stated you were not in the hobby, even though you own 3 games.

The immediate drop in price for Stern NIB games has been occuring since 2000, with Tron being the exception. The normal cycle is Stern promotes the hell out of a game, people buy in without ever playing the game, they realize that they do not like the game, and 3 to 6 months later they want to sell. The problem is that NIB games are still available for the price they paid, and potential buyers want to pay $1,000 to $1,500 less for their HUO. Once other buyers see those lower sale prices, they begin to believe that is all the game is worth, and at least temporarily the value of the game has been depreciated.

The better Stern games like SM, LOTR and TSPP did recover and even appreciate, but many others including Striker Extreme, Sharkeys Shootout, Big Buck Hunter, Transformers and Avatar did not recover due to lack of demmand.

The point is taking an initial loss on a NIB Stern is nothing new, and supply and demmand always corrects the pricing in the long run. With the wild card being the Vault Editions.

There are 395 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-of-pinball-prices/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.