Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 395 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sticker,375x360.png
    297759-i.jpg
    tickertape2[1].jpg
    U.S._Bullion_Depository.jpg
    image.jpg
    Screenshot - 10052014 - 11:46:40 AM.png
    image002.gif
    image-708.jpg
    you-know-nothing.jpg
    classic car storage.jpg
    image-103.jpg
    deadhorse.jpg
    this.gif
    in-the-year-2000.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 395 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
    #1 9 years ago

Here is my prediction, now, before I go into it, I want to give you a little bit of background. I graduated college with a finance degree, I worked in the financial field for a few years, before switching to my current field…which still involves some finance. For fun (besides pinball), I watch youtube videos of Sowell & Friedman. I read about finance & markets as much as I possibly can. And as my friends put it, I'm the best investor they know. Not to pat myself on the back, I wanted to put my background out there to give some weight to my prediction, and not having anyone think it is just some off the cuff idea.

Here it is: We are in the first leg of a pinball correction (possibly crash). Throughout human investing history, people make a lot of stupid mistakes. Flowers, beanie babies, dot com stocks, housing. There's been corrections (crashes) in non investing markets as well, video game crash of 83, Rock Band 3.

What I see happening today, is a combination of over investing and over supply. Buy a pinball machine, put away, sell it in a few years and you can't lose. Sounds just like housing. Now, we are getting an oversupply of machines (video games 83) and not enough people to support it.

Looking at some pins for sale, you can see the "hot" ones have now started to sit for sale. Some other recent releases, which should've held their value, no longer will.

In 3 years, I see Stern being the last man standing. I do see NIB LEs still having a high price, but they truly will be more limited. The days of 500+ LEs being produced, IMO, will soon be a thing of the past. I can see in 3 years, LEs being limited to 300.

Sorry that my post isn't too precise in my thoughts, trying to write this in under 3 minutes at work.

#2 9 years ago

Pinball machines are a luxury item, and as such, there is going to be market volatility.

Anyone who things it is an investment opportunity, rather than a hobby, is going to be in for a surprise.

#3 9 years ago

How many threads can we have on pinball prices before the server crashes? Anyone???

Enough with this stuff. Seriously. You can spend days browsing other threads on this.

#4 9 years ago

But mine is based on a historical concept.

Whenever someone says "it's different this time", it ends up being the same.

#5 9 years ago

I hope you are correct. The only people that wouldn't want to see this are the ones that are in this for the profit, which in my view does not make them hobbyists or enthusiasts. Lower pricing will not expand the market, just as this "pinball boom" hasn't. I say that with confidence because I deal with a lot of people who would be the target income group for pins and literally none of them have brought a pin into their home in the last 3-5 years. Pinball is and will always be a niche hobby, which summarizes most hobbies.

I don't indulge into the hobby more simply because I have better things to do with the money (family events, education, vacations, etc.). I would love to be able to more in the hobby and lower costs would make that a reality.

#6 9 years ago

ya except your totally wrong. there is not over supply, most people collect older machines and there is only so many of them out there. the market is good for buyers and sellers right now. the aftermarket parts production is driving the market. this topic has come up many many times here.
    the video game collector market is strong too.
    i would not use a hobby as a sole investment but there is money to be made if games are bought right.

#7 9 years ago

Trekkie, While I am not an old school forum person from the rpg days, my understanding is that the sayers of nay have been predicting the downward spiraling of pinball and prices for as long as there has been the internet.

The pinball buying community is pretty sound financially. I know of none buying machines on margins or credit. If they have cash, they buy. If the mortgage is due, a machine is not purchased.

While yes, there are a few that purchase LE's on speculation, that has nothing to do with the health of pinball.

Spooky Pinball for instance has very controlled overhead and a self contained infrastructure. Short of a Zombie Apocalypse , they can weather any storm. And even if there were Zombies, they will have a pinball machine for it.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

In 3 years, I see Stern being the last man standing. I do see NIB LEs still having a high price, but they truly will be more limited. The days of 500+ LEs being produced, IMO, will soon be a thing of the past. I can see in 3 years, LEs being limited to 300.

Agree with most everything as a Cpa/lawyer/finance guy myself.

Except that it won't be Stern doing the LE's.

The boutique guys will have that market cornered. Sorry, but they simply don't have the fixed overhead to spread and can truly create a "limited" pinball experience. See Jpop, Spooky, Dutch, etc…...

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

I hope you are correct. The only people that wouldn't want to see this are the ones that are in this for the profit, which in my view does not make them hobbyists or enthusiasts.

I don't agree with this. Just because you are an enthusiast doesn't mean you don't care about the value of things you own. I'm not in this hobby for the money, but I'd be pretty depressed if a month from now my entire collection was worth half of what it is now.

#10 9 years ago

I wonder whats gonna happen to people in my price bracket (1-2.5k). Those machines are not necesarily "hot" but still good quality. Id love to be able to have a TS or RBION for that price b/c those games have been rising lately. Will STTNG come up a year from now for 1500? I feel like these topics always center around the high end when the majority of machines out there are middle to low cost

#11 9 years ago

low prices = yay
    high prices = boooo

guess that about sums it up for me

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I don't agree with this. Just because you are an enthusiast doesn't mean you don't care about the value of things you own. I'm not in this hobby for the money, but I'd be pretty depressed if a month from now my entire collection was worth half of what it is now.

As long as everything moves evenly it shouldn't matter. If all games value drops by 50% you still maintain the same relative value.

#13 9 years ago

i put a reminder on my phone to come back and revisit this thread in 3 years. see you then!

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

As long as everything moves evenly it shouldn't matter. If all games value drops by 50% you still maintain the same relative value.

Pinball wise, yes, but my net worth would go down. If for some reason I had to get out of the hobby and liquidate my pins, I would be substantially worse off. I can afford the hit if all my machines become worthless, but that doesn't mean I'd want them to.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

but I'd be pretty depressed if a month from now my entire collection was worth half of what it is now

Its all relative though..... you would only be depressed if you were "cashing out" and getting out of the hobby. If you were just looking to switch up titles, it wouldn't matter because whatever you were buying would have gone through the same recession.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Worth to sell is different than worth to trade...unless you need to get rid of a machine due to space constraints then to me as long as I can trade a MET for a ST or a Shadow for a Congo or Adams Family for TOM then I don't feel bad...as long as games depreciate evenly across the board I'm good with that, like I said unless I had to downsize

EDIT: looks like the last three posts beat me to the same point as I was typing

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

i put a reminder on my phone to come back and revisit this thread in 3 years. see you then!

3 years? You will be out of this hobby in 3 weeks... Or is it 3 days? I can't keep track

#18 9 years ago

The future is now. It's always now. Or just a tad after now. Look around, the market is correcting. It will continue to do so, until it's just a market again. We survived the bubble and most will survive the correction. Some won't, of course.

How about some investment tips if you're so good at it?

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

How about some investment tips if you're so good at it?

buy low...sell high

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Smurrill1:

I wonder whats gonna happen to people in my price bracket (1-2.5k). Those machines are not necesarily "hot" but still good quality. Id love to be able to have a TS or RBION for that price b/c those games have been rising lately. Will STTNG come up a year from now for 1500? I feel like these topics always center around the high end when the majority of machines out there are middle to low cost

I would say no to STTNG. Sure 1 or 2 maybe had for cheap but they will get snapped up quick.
    Pinball needs to really move into a completely different concept before multi ball dmd 90s themed pinball games takes a serious tumble. But by then STTNG may become so that much rarer. That you will have to pay for it. It's a proven winner

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

3 years? You will be out of this hobby in 3 weeks... Or is it 3 days? I can't keep track

he actually sold his entire collection last week and then bought them all back this week.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballophobe:

I would say no to STTNG. Sure 1 or 2 maybe had for cheap but they will get snapped up quick.
    Pinball needs to really move into a completely different concept before multi ball dmd 90s themed pinball games takes a serious tumble. But by then STTNG may become so that much rarer. That you will have to pay for it. It's a proven winner

Agree. I think games like STTNG, TZ and Indiana Jones will maintain their current values and likely go up in value due to the high prices of NIB games as well as the rarity of finding those games in good to excellent condition. People will look at a Stern, JJP or DP game for $5k-$9k and wonder what else they can get for the same price if not cheaper.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

he actually sold his entire collection last week and then bought them all back this week.

hey now, i am very deliberate about buying and selling. I was sick of my TAF before it even was in my house but it's still here.

#24 9 years ago

still fun to give you a hard time

LMK when you want to sell IMVE. Maybe I will give it a whirl or put it on location>> I think it would do well.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

In 3 years I see Stern being the last man standing.

If so, then the 2 or 3 JJP games that manage to make production (WOZ, Hobbit and possibly the Lawlor game) will be oddities like the two P2K games. And Stern will continue making pins with no competition driving them to innovate beyond the conversion to LEDs.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

still fun to give you a hard time

i've noticed.

Quoted from Whysnow:

LMK when you want to sell IMVE.

need taf traded/sold first. that might get me off the ledge.

why is this emoticon humping a pinball machine?

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

If so, then the 2 or 3 JJP games that manage to make production (WOZ, Hobbit and possibly the Lawlor game) will be oddities like the two P2K games. And Stern will continue making pins with no competition driving them to innovate beyond the conversion to LEDs.

I'll guess that JJP is around for a long time making one high quality title a year that people will buy due to it offering a lot of features for your money as well as deep complete code.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Why is this emoticon humping a pinball machine?

Maybe there is a part of an emoticon's anatomy that fits into a coin slot?

Quoted from cosmokramer:

buy low...sell high

I tried that. Only purchased games from people's basements and then re-sold them from the second floor of my two-story home. Didn't work for me and too much trouble going up and down all those stairs.

#29 9 years ago

My investment portfolio is now 50% cash, January 1, it was 5% cash. The past 3 months, I've been selling calls.

I don't see any growth in the stock market the next 2 years.

25% of my portfolio is in Johnson n Johnson. When the market first hit 17k, I figured I should go conservative, so I bought in around 95...currently trading at 104.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

My investment portfolio is now 50% cash, January 1, it was 5% cash. The past 3 months, I've been selling calls.
    25% of my portfolio is in Johnson n Johnson. When the market first hit 17k, I figured I should go conservative, so I bought in around 95...currently trading at 104.

so where is the best place to park my 401k for the next 2 years?

#31 9 years ago

I would rather lose money buying pinball machines than losing it on a piece of paper like in the stock market.

But actually I don't pay much attention to either as far as gains and losses.

#32 9 years ago

To me, owning a pinball machine is a luxury just like owning a hobby car. Note: A car today is a necessity, but hobby cars are the one's we store in the garage and drive on weekends or to car shows or to dinner. There will always be a demand for them and there will always be a limited amount of people who can afford those types of vehicles.

Now, there are all types of hobby cars. High end luxury cars, muscle cars daily drivers, classics, antiques and fixer uppers. Just like a pinball machine, some cars appreciate in value, while others slowly loose value. Some go WAY up in value while others drop like a rock. Some are restored to CQ while others are fixed up to stay running and are driven all the time.

So, if you want to buy a machine as an investment, there are plenty out there and you can buy those. If you buy one hoping it will raise in value, you are "playing the market". It may or may not go up in value. For those of us who buy machines to play the heck out of them and have fun, making money isn't the issue. We just want to have fun and if they go up or down a little, it's no big deal. We may even trade games for another title we'd enjoy more. But no matter what, the most important thing in this or any hobby is to have fun. You can have fun playing them. You can have fun fixing them. You can have fun restoring them. Just so long as you're having fun.

As for where the market Is headed, I think (like anything) some machines will slowly dip in price and settle in at there basic "sweet spot" price. Just like you basically know what games you can find between $1-$2K or $2 to $3K or $3 to $4K etc. Once they settle in, depending on the quality of the machine. That's where they'll basically stay. The pinball machine world will not have a housing market type crash IMO. But either way, enjoy what ya have and have fun. If you're afraid or worried about losing money on your machines, you probably shouldn't be in the hobby to begin with. My respectful $0.02 anyway.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

so where is the best place to park my 401k for the next 2 years?

I have no clue.

What is your age? Financial status? Income? Assets?

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I would rather lose money buying pinball machines than losing it on a piece of paper like in the stock market.

Well said brothah. I've lost more money than I care to remember on stocks. Once it's gone, you have nothing to show for it but a little tax write off. At least with a pinball machine, if it loses all it's value, you'd still have a great machine to enjoy for years to come.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That doesn't make any sense. Stock market is a ton more liquid than pinball is.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

How many threads can we have on pinball prices before the server crashes? Anyone???
    Enough with this stuff. Seriously. You can spend days browsing other threads on this.

I'll keep posting this in ever price thread. It may become monotonous as the threads themselves, but at least it's funny.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

what do you think about this rumored 50% market crash that's supposed to happen any day now?
    http://www.moneynews.com/MKTNews/Market-Collapse-Finance-Stocks/2013/03/01/id/492699/

Quoted from Rarehero:

I'll keep posting this in ever price thread

I love that tim&eric skit "there's no meat on it, throw it back! I'm not gonna feed it to my family"

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I have no clue.
    What is your age? Financial status? Income? Assets?

too old, poor, not enough, 16 pinball machines

#39 9 years ago

Just like housing, pinball price increases has way outpaced income increases.

I said the same exact thing to my friends in march of 2000 and through out all of 2004.

Remove all emotions when it comes to investments.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here is my prediction, now, before I go into it, I want to give you a little bit of background. I graduated college with a finance degree, I worked in the financial field for a few years, before switching to my current field…which still involves some finance. For fun (besides pinball), I watch youtube videos of Sowell & Friedman. I read about finance & markets as much as I possibly can. And as my friends put it, I'm the best investor they know. Not to pat myself on the back, I wanted to put my background out there to give some weight to my prediction, and not having anyone think it is just some off the cuff idea.
    Here it is: We are in the first leg of a pinball correction (possibly crash). Throughout human investing history, people make a lot of stupid mistakes. Flowers, beanie babies, dot com stocks, housing. There's been corrections (crashes) in non investing markets as well, video game crash of 83, Rock Band 3.
    What I see happening today, is a combination of over investing and over supply. Buy a pinball machine, put away, sell it in a few years and you can't lose. Sounds just like housing. Now, we are getting an oversupply of machines (video games 83) and not enough people to support it.
    Looking at some pins for sale, you can see the "hot" ones have now started to sit for sale. Some other recent releases, which should've held their value, no longer will.
    Sorry that my post isn't too precise in my thoughts, trying to write this in under 3 minutes at work.

I have no degree in finance and I predicted this influx of over supply and saturation a year ago coming to a head. There's a post or thread about it but I'm not wasting time digging it up.

LE market is done. JJP has stated no more limited editions.

A limited edition should be one that has proven itself in standard sales to justify being made.

#41 9 years ago

If you really want to make money on your 'investments' route em.

As far as future prices (5-10 years from now) too many variables to guess.

#42 9 years ago

As stated in my will.....
    My pinball collection must not be sold and will remain in the family for no less than 4000 years.

At that time my pinball machines will be priceless artifacts.
    This is truly bubble proof investing.
    My plan is perfect, I win.

#43 9 years ago

O sweet another pricing/prediction thread! I was thinking to myself this morning we need a bunch more pricing threads and Hitler reaction video threads.

#44 9 years ago

I don't see this as a clear-cut either/or (either a hobbyist [good guy] or an investor [bad guy]). I don't expect to make money when I sell a pin, and, indeed, I never have. At the same time, I wouldn't be thrilled about losing, say, $25k when I eventually downsize, which I assume I'll do when I retire. Would a sustained downward trend in the price of used pins make me more conservative about buying? Yes, especially since I expect to have to sell most of what I have within ten years. Losing some money is perfectly acceptable since I have to factor in the value of playing the pin for however long I own it. On the other hand, I doubt very much that I will play an $8k pin enough times to be happy selling it for $3k. I cannot see how the market can sustain such high upfront costs if resale values drop that dramatically.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Flowers, beanie babies, dot com stocks, housing

Flowers: if you're referring to the dutch tulip thing, that's a bad example since you can make as many tulips as you want. You can't make more old pinballs without a lot of work and "adjusted for dollars" for materials and tooling. Whether you build a medievel madness or a space shuttle, the retail price of $8k isn't likely to vary by more than a couple thousand dollars.

beanie babies: dumb hobby where people got caught up in the profit. Nobody really cared about them, they only cared about buying them and reselling them. Most pinball collectors care about collecting and playing, not flipping

dot com stocks: that's because it's a very risky market. You could have the next facebook or twitter app, or you could have a failed idea that isn't marketed well.

housing: This was inflated by a rush of poor people getting loans they couldn't afford. When hundreds of loans failed, Of COURSE this is going to cause a rift in home values. Why would I buy home A. for $180k when I can buy a foreclosed home down the street for $130k?

Quoted from ryan1234:

As stated in my will.....
    My pinball collection must not be sold and will remain in the family for no less than 4000 years

I don't have one written officially yet, but my wife knows if I die first to contact all my local friends and let them fight it out with prices. At least I know they'll pay honestly.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You just lost 2.24% of your investment in a few hours on JNJ! Stocks are a Ponzi scheme rigged against the average investor. I will take hard assets any day (including pinball machines) over this corrupted over inflated/unsustainable stock market.
    If one of the company's you own stock in goes bankrupt you get nothing, on the other hand if my pinball machines drop in value I still win! cause I will play my value out of them.

Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) -NYSE 

104.20 Down 2.39(2.24%)

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

You just lost 2.39% of your investment in a few hours on JNJ! Stocks are a Ponzi scheme rigged against the average investor. I will take hard assets any day (including pinball machines) over this corrupted over inflated/unsustainable stock market.
    If one of the company's you own stock in goes bankrupt you get nothing, on the other hand if my pinball machines drop in value I still win! cause I will play my value out of them.
    Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) -NYSE 
    104.20 Down 2.39(2.24%)

The problem is, the average investor is always wrong. They invest with emotion. They want stocks after they've gone up, not before. Then after a correction, they don't buy back in until the market has bounced back.

The oine trading companies is the worst thing for people who don't know what they're doing.

#48 9 years ago

Ok here's another question: Is the current "hotness" of pinball something that will be maintained for a long period of time or just a temporary fad? I pretty much got into this hobby b/c of pinball arcade. 5 years from now that simulation wont be a shiny new video game anymore. Doesnt this have a lot to do with the prices bubble?

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That doesn't make any sense. Stock market is a ton more liquid than pinball is.

Jack Daniels is a ton more liquid than the stock market. Now THAT makes sense!

#50 9 years ago

Every example I listed have the same thing in common with pinball machines: they are assets.

The increase in pinball prices has way outpaced the increase in wages.

One of 3 things must happen.

1 - pinball prices remain the same until wages catch up to them.

2 - wages dramatically increase in growth to match the pinball prices.

3 - pinball prices drop in order to match wages.

I'm going with number 3.

There are 395 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-of-pinball-prices and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.