Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jjsmooth
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3565 (resized).JPG
    barchart-poll_results (resized).png
    hologram-3d (resized).jpg
    hologram-image-hot (resized).jpg
    hologram-identity_disc (resized).jpg
    Noetikon_of_Science_Hologram (resized).png
    laser_7_output (resized).jpg
    IMG_5201 (resized).JPG
    aaaaaaa (resized).jpg
    laser war (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    laserCAt2 (resized).jpg
    laser_cat_by_dilbert92-d5zmtml (resized).jpg
    tumblr_lg3i47epIK1qght7mo1_500 (resized).png
    tumblr_ndel3b4S0Y1qaaccio1_500 (resized).png
    sharks-with-frickin-laser-beams (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Recent advances in laser technology promise to render LCD obsolete. 2000 times more efficient than LCD, these lights are ready, waiting for buyers.
    Lasers were already cheap, require very little power. I got a laser on my keychain. Powered by a watch battery. Cost ,$1.
    A linear laser beam is not really visible without fog. Three types of fog machines are available.
    The normal fog machines are safe enough. Concerts using high voltage have tons of fog and no problem has occurred. Fog based on cold air are safe. Another type removes oxygen, making fires less possible..
    Pinball generally keeps up with technology. Profits arent always as important as aesthetic value. Most machines make no profit.

#2 6 years ago

Did you just activate a sleeper cell..?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malform11:

Recent advances in laser technology promise to render LCD obsolete. 2000 times more efficient than LCD, these lights are ready, waiting for buyers.
    Lasers were already cheap, require very little power. I got a laser on my keychain. Powered by a watch battery. Cost ,$1.
    A linear laser beam is not really visible without fog. Three types of fog machines are available.
    The normal fog machines are safe enough. Concerts using high voltage have tons of fog and no problem has occurred. Fog based on cold air are safe. Another type removes oxygen, making fires less possible..
    Pinball generally keeps up with technology. Profits arent always as important as aesthetic value. Most machines make no profit.

All great points.

#6 6 years ago

Why not just beam it straight into my brain man.................

#7 6 years ago

While advancing display technology is nice I think it's the more traditional aspects of the game that people respond to.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malform11:

With fog how are you not going to have dust and rust?

#9 6 years ago

There are so many awesome things that can happen in pinball technology speaking.

So many ideas unexplored. More clever mechanism design and gameplay. Hopefully much more instore.

#10 6 years ago

I think someone beat you to it

cb137d82fac58196409d023d41ed47f9--sharks-with-lasers-the-shark (resized).jpgcb137d82fac58196409d023d41ed47f9--sharks-with-lasers-the-shark (resized).jpg

sharks-with-frickin-laser-beams (resized).jpgsharks-with-frickin-laser-beams (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

With fog how are you not going to have dust and rust?

Um he said the latest fog tech removes oxygen. What do you think the O is in H2O? I'd like to hear his thoughts on using something other than copper wire. Really looks messy.

#12 6 years ago

Laser cats lead the way.

There are fog machines that only use cold air, as I said. They could not harm electronics.

This is about future pinball, the traditional things about pinball are not going to be replaced.

Think about the evolution from simple bagatelles to jets, flippers, ramps, electronics, LCD displays, digital sound....

Some say that "The Wizard of Oz" is the future. A high definition display makes you watch lengthy scenes from a 1933 movie.

A house spins...
    Mechanical toys, clocks, and other objects were far more complicated 200 years ago..

These things stop action. Pinball wizards prefer more continual action...

#13 6 years ago

Before somone insults my abilty to play pinball. I set high scores on machines.

My 510 million grand champion score on "The Walking Dead" has been on the machine for more than a year now.

The way to set high scores, besides continually hitting money shots, is to get to multiball as often as you can.

Further research has shown that no one has experienced any problem with electronics even with the simple water/glycol fog machines...

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malform11:

Laser cats lead the way.
    There are fog machines that only use cold air, as I said. They could not harm electronics.
    This is about future pinball, the traditional things about pinball are not going to be replaced.
    Think about the evolution from simple bagatelles to jets, flippers, ramps, electronics, LCD displays, digital sound....
    Some say that "The Wizard of Oz" is the future. A high definition display makes you watch lengthy scenes from a 1933 movie.
    A house spins...
    Mechanical toys, clocks, and other objects were far more complicated 200 years ago..
    These things stop action. Pinball wizards prefer more continual action...

Air by definition has oxygen.
    Are you going to pump this supposed non-oxygen fog into a vacuum? Anything you pump into a closed compartment such as a pinball machine is going to bring in fine particles of debris.

#15 6 years ago

Fog machines use water based solutions to create the fog. How would this not ruin the mechs if one was inside the game?

Why would fog inside the game be an advancement?

#16 6 years ago

This guy has been looking directly into the laser and the "fog" is him hotboxing his mom's minivan at the same time

#17 6 years ago

Weed can make a a thick fog also. It's then that lasers look even better.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malform11:

The way to set high scores, besides continually hitting money shots, is to get to multiball as often as you can...

I'll be sure to try this line with my wife tonight.

#19 6 years ago

Are you adding lasers this time?

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malform11:

Laser cats lead the way.

These are the laser cats you are referring to?
    tumblr_ndel3b4S0Y1qaaccio1_500 (resized).pngtumblr_ndel3b4S0Y1qaaccio1_500 (resized).pngtumblr_lg3i47epIK1qght7mo1_500 (resized).pngtumblr_lg3i47epIK1qght7mo1_500 (resized).pnglaserCAt2 (resized).jpglaserCAt2 (resized).jpglaser_cat_by_dilbert92-d5zmtml (resized).jpglaser_cat_by_dilbert92-d5zmtml (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

LASER CATS LEAD THE WAY!!!

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malform11:

Laser cats lead the way.

Haha good one. Laser cats with cat armor!

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago

I see this is the thread where all the drunks congregated last night :-p

#24 6 years ago

The way of the future....

#25 6 years ago

Flipper buttons will be much lower on the cabinet so our insect overlords can play them.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Flipper buttons will be much lower on the cabinet so our insect overlords can play them.

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords !

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I see this is the thread where all the drunks congregated last night :-p

No. Just one drunk.

#28 6 years ago

I can't wait to see this innovative new laser show display

when that REO Speedwagon pinball machine comes out.

#29 6 years ago

Paper and cardboard combine to create fusion. Crows can be trained to catch fish. High scores are made.

Sunday is reserved for senior citizens? The crows are back but this is not
    how you catch fish. Only when pinball becomes viable will it achieve fruition. This way to high scores.

Technology. Gordon Ramsey. Pinball high scores lasers.

#30 6 years ago

Light saber battles are fun for the whole family.

#31 6 years ago

Air by definition has people breathing it, and making up their own truths. If you paid attention, or done your own research, you would find the no one had ever experienced problems with electronics from fog machines. Concerts have fog machines and thousands of volts of electricity, tons of elecronic equipment..no problems

A closed system doesnt introduce particles.

Think about electronics in autos, do they self destruct from air or water vapor?

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malform11:

Air by definition has people breathing it, and making up their own truths. If you paid attention, or done your own research, you would find the no one had ever experienced problems with electronics from fog machines. Concerts have fog machines and thousands of volts of electricity, tons of elecronic equipment..no problems
    A closed system doesnt introduce particles.
    Think about electronics in autos, do they self destruct from air or water vapor?

Dude, we get it. You like fog.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

Dude, we get it. You like fog.

...and layyyyyyzuuuuuuures.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

...and layyyyyyzuuuuuuures.

Who doesn't?!

#35 6 years ago

Lasers and fog replacement of an LCD screen....uh I don't think the future of Pinball will be decided upon what display they will be using.

#36 6 years ago

laser war (resized).jpglaser war (resized).jpg

Not mine. Took it from the laser war alt translite thread.

#37 6 years ago

This is my new favorite thread. Informative and drama free!

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malform11:

Cars are impervious to air+water vapor. This car just needs a new fuse probably.

aaaaaaa (resized).jpgaaaaaaa (resized).jpg

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Cars are impervious to air+water vapor. This car just needs a new fuse probably.

That rusty shit will just buff right on out.

#40 6 years ago

Fog effects would fit right in on the Alice Cooper pin.

IMG_5201 (resized).JPGIMG_5201 (resized).JPG

#41 6 years ago

Is this TheBlackKnight's brother?

#42 6 years ago

The future of pinside trolling.

#43 6 years ago

I guess you're hinting at the idea of volumetric displays.

I agree, if open-air volumetric displays ever become realistic, they'll have all kinds of applications in pinball. It'll be like Pinball 2000, only good.

...however, the state of the art for open-air volumetric displays is pretty primitive so far. I think I've only ever seen one that could actually project in mid-air in an arbitrary location like in Star Wars. Sadly, it worked by turning the air into plasma, so I wouldn't exactly describe it as "safe". (It was also super loud. It sounded like an electrical arc.)

(Link : http://www.burton-jp.com/en/product.htm The guy in that photo is not wearing 3d glasses. He's wearing safety glasses because the display puts out too much UV.)

#44 6 years ago

The op might be onto something.. however you can't hook it up without at least a laser 7 output

laser_7_output (resized).jpglaser_7_output (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago

My favorite strain for not moving from the couch... unless you meant the CIA mind control project...

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Are you adding lasers this time?

...and future pinball must have holograms that appear and disappear in a few different locations on the playfield controlled by software and switches. Please implement cool images, and not some lame crap like a corn dog or an office chair.
    hologram-identity_disc (resized).jpghologram-identity_disc (resized).jpg
    Noetikon_of_Science_Hologram (resized).pngNoetikon_of_Science_Hologram (resized).png
    hologram-image-hot (resized).jpghologram-image-hot (resized).jpg
    hologram-3d (resized).jpghologram-3d (resized).jpg

#47 6 years ago

Future pinball will implement displaying poll results on backglass after game ends showing how the machine feels you played that game by analyzing different metrics. For example, if you machine gun both flippers at the same time during each ball, then you can expect some unfavorable poll results for at least one or more metrics.

barchart-poll_results (resized).pngbarchart-poll_results (resized).png

#48 6 years ago

This thread went from total nonsense to hey that would be cool.

IMG_3565 (resized).JPGIMG_3565 (resized).JPG

#49 6 years ago

why do you think they call it dope...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-of-pinball-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.