Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Taxman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pin2DMD (resized).jpg
    familyguy (resized).png
    shipping (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomh52722.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I have not yet bought a color dmd, but know that they cost $300+. As more companies make electronics, prices usually drop over time (ex. A 55" led tv that used to cost $800 can now be bought for $350 around the holidays). I was just wondering what everyone thinks about color dmd pricing and whether other companies will get into this market, making them much less expensive in the coming years.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You aren't paying for the tech as much as the work goes into colorizing the dots.
    The price is unlikely to drop. If you are waiting for that, you'll be waiting for a long time.

Ok maybe I don't understand it then. Are you saying they can't be mass produced then?

#6 7 years ago

Ok I have officially been educated in the topic! Thank you

#12 7 years ago

Ok, how about the new games though? For example, I bought a met pro this week and would love to get a color dmd. I know they make them regularly for the premium, but am guessing that if I bought one it would be $400. All that I am asking is for someone to tell me that I can buy color dmd's for all my games next year for $200 each

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

You seem not to know things on this subject that are readily known and knowable. Or I have no idea what you're talking about with the Pro vs. Premium thing.

Yeah I was kidding about that but if you would like to share your knowledge about what is readily known or knowable related to met pro versus met premium, I would love to hear it.

#20 7 years ago

Ok now I got it I thought premium came with color dmd. Now I see where you are coming from. Thanks

#27 7 years ago

Ok, reading through this thread again, it sounds like one reason that pricing is where it's at is that there is a lot of labor that goes into colorizing each game. There is also the point that mass producing items with relatively small market for each title (ex. Even if all were still in existence and every owner wanted one, there were only something like 7,000 demolition man pinball machines produced).

Here is what I don't understand though. If the color dmds are interchangeable and you just download the new ROM (for free, I'm assuming), then why wouldn't other manufacturers get into this business? It sounds like the work is in writing the code for each title, but that code is then just downloaded from the website.

Maybe I am missing something here, but this is interesting for sure.

Similar to whysnow, I would probably buy them for all of my (five) games if they ever dropped to a lower price point.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomh52722.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-of-color-dmd-pricing?tu=tomh52722 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.