Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Taxman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pin2DMD (resized).jpg
    familyguy (resized).png
    shipping (resized).png
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

Wrong and wrong..

Pin2DMD color editor allows basically unlimited colors on WPC...it is not just limited to the 4 color\shades. You can have up to 16 colors per frame...and then change those 16 colors in the next frame if you want to. You can also add and replace animations..single frames...etc with custom clips or drawings. You can build an entire new graphics library in ANY color if you wish.

The best thing about it you can change the color of every pixel to ANY color your want..and not limited to what the WPC ROM displays. My HS2 will soon have a Countach instead of a Diablo among other custom scenes

What is 'stupid' is telling someone it's limited '4 color mode palettes'...which is a flat out lie

It is cute..I had color in my Family Guy 3 years before ColorDMD did. I also have custom scenes that aren't possible with colorDMD.

Quoted from Taxman:

Because there is no comparison.
    Sorry, those 4 color mode palettes look like garbage. Maybe it makes some screens a little more interesting than orange but many screens it just looks stupid because the 4 color pallet just does not fit what colors should be there.
    To save a few dollars and have to go through the hassle of pretty much building it yourself rather than a nice plug and play system. ColorDMD also offers nice blending modes on the LCD version, a massive library of full colored supported games and support that can't be beat.
    It is cute to tell someone how wonderful it is to program it yourself. But from the questions I see from people about trying to get them to work I think many of these things have been abandoned and tossed in a drawer out of frustration.

familyguy (resized).pngfamilyguy (resized).png

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Wrong and wrong..
    Pin2DMD color editor allows basically unlimited colors on WPC...it is not just limited to the 4 color\shades. You can have up to 16 colors per frame...and then change those 16 colors in the next frame if you want to. You can also add and replace animations..single frames...etc with custom clips or drawings. You can build an entire new graphics library in ANY color if you wish.
    The best thing about it you can change the color of every pixel to ANY color your want..and not limited to what the WPC ROM displays. My HS2 will soon have a Countach instead of a Diablo among other custom scenes
    What is 'stupid' is telling someone it's limited '4 color mode palettes'...which is a flat out lie
    It is cute..I had color in my Family Guy 3 years before ColorDMD did. I also have custom scenes that aren't possible with colorDMD.

That is one frame. How many games are completely colored? Where are these available for people to see and download? I see people struggling in those threads trying to get stuff to work like hardware, editors and custom stuff. Bits and pieces of games. People hear they can do these great things but when it comes time to do it they have no idea what they are getting into. They think they are saving a few dollars when they are just thrown money away.

Still waiting to see the library of completed games

(P.S. I do like that frame. I would love to see some full animations from what you did)

#53 7 years ago

Here you be

The hardware is easy now. You can buy a LED 'kit' for $180 and just plug it in...or piece it together yourself and get it below $100ish

There's quite a few Stern games completed...probably a dozen or so...check the VP forum. If you poke around the Pin2DMD thread..you'll see them about a half dozen WPC games in the works..way more info on the VP Forum

My games where is storage for 3 years while the basement remodel was in the works..I just got them set up a few weeks ago and they still aren't all set up. Thus the delay coloring more titles

I just started HS2 last week...stay tuned!

How am I throwing money away when it cost me $100 for the hardware and I color games at work and I really enjoy doing it?

FYI the video isn't edited...so it 'might' be NSFW. I also made quite a few more changes with custom scenes since the video. 'Happy Hour' now has my arcade name as a banner over the bar. I haven't taken video of the new stuff ...way to lazy

Quoted from Taxman:

That is one frame. How many games are completely colored? Where are these available for people to see and download? I see people struggling in those threads trying to get stuff to work like hardware, editors and custom stuff. Bits and pieces of games. People hear they can do these great things but when it comes time to do it they have no idea what they are getting into. They think they are saving a few dollars when they are just thrown money away.

#54 7 years ago

So much white text. And you lose the shading, unless you burn palette slots to draw it back in. I guess that might be acceptable to some.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

(P.S. I do like that frame. I would love to see some full animations from what you did)

Not sure how many titles constitutes a library, but, AC/DC, Mustang, Spiderman and Avengers have all been done and look really good to me. Shrek and POTC have also been done as I understand but I haven't played them. There is a lot of white text in them but I think they still look light years better than the orange. I think it is a perfect solution for a Virtual Pinball machine, I can't comment on the effort to get it working on a real pinball. The PIN2DMD also plays the colour dots on CCC perfectly.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Not sure how many titles constitutes a library, but, AC/DC, Mustang, Spiderman and Avengers have all been done and look really good to me. Shrek and POTC have also been done as I understand but I haven't played them. There is a lot of white text in them but I think they still look light years better than the orange. I think it is a perfect solution for a Virtual Pinball machine, I can't comment on the effort to get it working on a real pinball. The PIN2DMD also plays the colour dots on CCC perfectly.

I had only heard of MET being finished. I thought Shrek was pretty far along but abandoned before complete. I thought Spiderman was close but ran into a memory limitation that had recently been overcome. But this is the wrong thread for that.

What I had mostly seen was the 4 color pallet stuff that, well, see below.

Pin2DMD (resized).jpgPin2DMD (resized).jpg

#57 7 years ago

Here you be
    » YouTube video
    The hardware is easy now. You can buy a LED 'kit' for $180 and just plug it in...or piece it together yourself and get it below $100ish
    There's quite a few Stern games completed...probably a dozen or so...check the VP forum. If you poke around the Pin2DMD thread..you'll see them about a half dozen WPC games in the works..way more info on the VP Forum
    My games where is storage for 3 years while the basement remodel was in the works..I just got them set up a few weeks ago and they still aren't all set up. Thus the delay coloring more titles
    I just started HS2 last week...stay tuned!
    How am I throwing money away when it cost me $100 for the hardware and I color games at work and I really enjoy doing it?
    FYI the video isn't edited...so it 'might' be NSFW. I also made quite a few more changes with custom scenes since the video. 'Happy Hour' now has my arcade name as a banner over the bar. I haven't taken video of the new stuff ...way to lazy

How did I miss this one over at VPU? I need to go home from work now and play this Last update on the site says April 2016, any chance you may update it if there is new work in it?

#58 7 years ago

I think if you have a title that is your grail, or you got a DMD machine so cheap that if you colorized it and you still can come out ahead if you were ever to sell it, purchasing one is a no brainer. That's how I was able to come to my decision on colorizing the majority of my machines.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Ya, draw the line after the ColorDMD!

Lol.! ....yup

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

WORST. THREAD. EVER.

Why, because a guy is asking a question about something? On a message board? Related to pinball?

How ridiculous.

#61 7 years ago

Wrong and wrong..

Dude, please set me up with your color files for getaway when done!!

Also to add to the discussion, when Pin2dmd came out about a year ago the first beta version of the editor only allowed color pallette switches. If you look on YouTube you tend to see mostly this simple logic. During the last year the editor has matured to be capable of almost anything you would want to do as far as creating full color animations and even replacing animations with other content(if you would want). At this point in time, people like you and me need to start working on projects to create color files for more pinball machines using pin2dmd. I hope to see at least a few 90s games colorized well in 2017 but that's up to the community.

Some of the problem i see is that many people that would be interested in spending the time to colorize games have already decided to work with colordmd, so their work is locked up in proprietary colordmd software for the financial benefit of colordmd. Up until this point there really wasn't another option but now there is. I purchased the hardware to build 3 pin2dmds and the total cost was less than 1 colordmd. I have not yet done much work to actually colorize a game but I am working on it. It's not super simple or fast but I know that the tinkering type of people, like me, are interested in doing it mostly for the fun and satisfaction of it.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from tjc02002:

I have not yet done much work to actually colorize a game

For someone who hasn't "done much work to actually colorize a game", you seem to have it all figured out.

After 7 years, 53 titles, and 3 dedicated hardware platforms (requiring custom FPGA designs for highly parallel graphics processing), I'm still struggling to make improvements and add features needed to overcome new challenges on almost every title.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from tjc02002:

so their work is locked up in proprietary colordmd software for the financial benefit of colordmd.

While in most situations I would agree with you, this is one I don't. Sure I may have been willing to color a game for free but who knows when it would have been done or if I would have finished. Randy and Chris provided financial incentive and technical support to help keep me chugging along till it was done. If this helps them sell a few more displays then I'm happy.

#65 7 years ago

For me it is all about the fame and glory. So when people ask me what does it take to color a game I can just say "narcissism".

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-of-color-dmd-pricing/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.