5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SteveinTexas
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

All,
    So what are we going to do after the generous person that is '82 trooper' uses up his stash of carbon rings and has none left to share?

Steve Fury was going to make some somehow until '82Trooper' came to his aid. I know if Steve had to, I would not have to ask this question because he would have solved the issue.

I had this issue a while back and replaced them with a spoon type bumper solution. lets call this solution #1 and is an excellent idea but we are losing the original mechanism. I was able to do this with 'Ken Layton's' expert assistance. The tutorial topic link is as follows;

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/upgrading-williams-impulse-flippers-and-carbon-ring-bumpers-temporary

But what about replacing the ring? We need the second final solution. I can try to make them, cost them to replace and prepare a tutorial at least, If some more electrical savvy person tells me where to get the 'correct' material i.e. is it carbon or graphite or is this all the same. I will make them on my lathe as one way. possibly the solution is to press them and we need a die maker assistance.

What to you all think?

Regards
    Steve J.

#2 5 years ago

The problem is that the original design sucked badly. The carbon ring and skirt-with-nail and tone arm wire was very primitive. Even in 1945 the design was still crappy. When I first saw that stuff on pinball machines I thought to myself, "Boy that is stupid".

I favor converting over to modern spoon switches and pop bumper skirts.

#3 5 years ago

Ken

I agree, but if you have only one ring missing do we convert it to a more modern bumper? I did following your guide and changed all no regrets. If I remember the guys at PBR asked me did I really want to this? So there are people that want a more original change and a method to get alternate carbon rings seems a good solution.

That all said as no one is feeling like adding a comment i an probably dealing with a rarer problem than i thought and will forget this idea for now.

Regards Steve J

#4 5 years ago

Thanks for the kind words.
    It is a good idea to look for alternative solutions....I am working on securing 50 more rings as we speak!!!
    However, these are likely to be the last of them....

I will share what I have as soon as this deal comes thru.
    Mike

#5 5 years ago

You are so welcome. To me and others here this is the best part of the forum when we help each other.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 750.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 259.99
    € 4.20
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    The Flipper Room
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    $ 229.99
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 5,999.99
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 28.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 21.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 35.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside