By Seamlesswall

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-3-2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Seamlesswall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

If a stepper coil is drawing 1.9 amps, what is a good value fuse to protect it? I put a 1.5A SB and yes the fuse popped, but that was after the coil bit the dust.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from edednedy:

You would probably need some sort of thermal fuse rated at a predetermined temperature.

That idea had crossed my mind and I will look into that option.

Quoted from wayout440:

The fuse is more to protect circuit and wiring, and from a fire, in the event of a catastrophic failure. Not really meant to protect the stepper coil.

The only upside is that the coil fries then fuse blows, but no smoke to frighten customers and Marco makes money.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

Might be a good idea to name the game and what the stepper is for.

Paratrooper as listed at top.
Paratrooper has been problematic from day one, if it were not such an interesting and forward thinking game, I'd suggest it gone. All of the problems have been sporadic thus hard to isolate and most issues lead to (because of the design) burned coils. I don't remember all of the fixes I have done but I recall at least a couple of issues were carbonized contact buttons on leafs and magnetized coils in relays. This latest issue was on the 100,000 unit in the upper right. (notice how crispy the stepper coil is in this pic from the database and the missing bell coil as that must have gone up in smoke, these two coils are related and always fry together.) Our Paratrooper can run for months with no issues, then the dreaded "Don't flip out" sign ends up on it. So, this latest was an easy find, I hand activated the advance coil, the crispy one, and would not get far enough to go to the next cog. That turned out to be a worn pivot point (upper left on the unit) which shows a screw there. We have a stamped rivet. Right now it's McGivered and working. I believe we have a call into PBR to
see if they have a part otherwise it's Zen time to come up with a permanent solution.
image-3-2 (resized).jpgimage-3-2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Seamlesswall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fuse-value-to-protect-coil?tu=Seamlesswall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.