(Topic ID: 177190)

Fuse under playfield blows after playfield swap eight ball deluxe --Fixed!

By membername

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi all, I just finished a playfield swap of eight ball deluxe, plugged it in and it came up, but none of the switched lights were on. I went into the test mode and started cycling thru the tests, the free game knocker fired but no other solenoids. The fuse under the playfield was out (1amp MDL slow) which is for the solenoids I believe, and there was a smell. I replaced the fuse but it blew again immediately after starting. I checked all the coils for resistance and they were all above 2.5 except the coin door coil, which is at 0.5. Can this coil cause a problem if it gets shorted?

Thanks,
Karen

#eight-ball-deluxe

#2 7 years ago

my guess is that something is touching something that shouldn't be touched

#3 7 years ago

So the only solenoids working are the knocker and coin door. Knocker works and I can hear the coin door trying to fire. What could I have done wrong during the swap?

Hold on I just saw I wired one of the slingshots wrong. Be right back...

#4 7 years ago

Ok so I had one of the two wires that should be together on the wrong lug of the solenoid. Stupid since they are both clearly yellow and belong together. I fixed that wire, replaced the 1amp slow blow under the playfield and tried it. It slowly blew the fuse, acted like it was going to fire that slingshot and then went dead. The solenoid was slightly warm. Could I have screwed something else by putting that wire on the wrong lug? The coil reads 10.7 ohms across the lugs.

K

#5 7 years ago

It may have blown the driver transistor for that slingshot on the Solenoid Driver Board (SDB).

First thing I would do is eliminate the slingshot from the equation by disconnecting the wires from one of its lugs and taping over the loose wires so it doesn't short on anything.

If the solenoid fuse still blows then you've also got other problems elsewhere to find first.

If the fuse stays alive, then time to check the driver transistor for that solenoid (transistor Q6 for left slingshot on the SDB, or Q7 for the right slingshot). Also check the diode on that slingshot solenoid hasn't gone open/short circuit and is oriented the right way.

#6 7 years ago

I replaced Q6 with a Tip102 and it works! Fuse not blowing!

Now I just need to figure out why my switched lights are not working. All of the numbers are not lighting. I did use copper foil tape for the common as suggested by vid, not sure if that is the problem.

K

#7 7 years ago

Cool.

Are the feature lamps working behind the backglass?
With your multi-meter, do you measure around 6.5VDC at the common connection of the playfield feature lamps?
Doess Fuse 1 (20 amp fast blow) on the power-supply board test ok?

#8 7 years ago

It was the copper tape. I tore it all out and used wire and now they all work. Next time I won't try to get fancy. Thanks for your help!

Karen

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 90.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fuse-under-playfield-blows-after-playfield-swap-eight-ball-deluxe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.