• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Chrisbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hello there.

I have a fuse question about my DataEast MNF. I blew F5 fuse which knocked out my flippers. I am having trouble finding a Buss MDX4 125V fuse. Question 1: Are MDL and MDX fuses interchangeable on pinball machines if the amperage (4) and voltage (125) is the same? If not, where can I find an MDX 4 125v fuse? I am also having issues with the gutter switches that I think is related. All three switches pass the continuity test with the volt meter but the game is registering missing ball(s) when turned on. (I did have a 4Amp 32V fuse in when trying the switch test but it blows when a flipper is pushed, obviously). Question 2: Does anyone know if the gutter switches would also be affected by the blown F5 fuse installed or 32v fuse in its place? I ask because if I need to order parts I was thinking I could get them all at once. BTW, the switch test failed on the gutter switches and all other switches pass testing. Thank you in advance so much for any guidance!

#2 5 years ago

MDL and MDX both basically mean "Slow Blow" and should be interchangeable.
You do not want to switch those with AGC "Fast Blow" fuses.
The voltage really shouldn't matter. Most sold for pinball purposes seem to be 250 V. The amperage is the critical value you want to match.

Doesn't seem like the fuse being out should affect the trough switches. But I might be missing something there.
Are you testing the switches with balls, or your finger? Sometimes a ball acts slightly differently than pushing a switch with your finger.

Also, you probably wanted to post this question in: Tech - Alpha Numeric for DE MNF, rather than over here in EM Tech.
EM is for older Electro-Mechanical games, with score reels and relays, not electronic control and scoring.

#3 5 years ago

Thank you so much for your response and the correct place to put the post. For now I can get the correct fuse installed and move on to the switches. That explains why 250V is so popular, as with MDL. I was testing with my finger, not the ball or anything metal. However I did check to make sure the switch was activated by the ball, listening for the faint click sound. THANKS AGAIN!

#4 5 years ago

Thread moved to Tech - Alpha Numeric (out of EM Pinball Tech)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Manchester, NH
2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cupertino, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fuse-question-6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.