(Topic ID: 8646)

Fuse Question (got that fixed thanks, but now a new problem.)

By mojozone

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by mojozone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

My buddy is have trouble with his new pin. we pulled the fuses and looked at them with our eyeballs and they looked fine. If they "look" fine could they still be blowen. I guess we were looking for the usual black burnt stuff. He does have a volt meter, but we can't figure out what setting it needs to be on. thanks for any help.

#2 12 years ago

Yes a fuse can look good but still be bad.Put the meter setting on continuity and place one lead on one side of the fuse and the other lead on the other side.You should here a beep if no beep means the fuse is bad.

#3 12 years ago

I'm really not sure, but try with ohms if it gives no reading, might be bad fuse. thats how I detected my blown fuse last time.

#4 12 years ago

thanks pinmike...ill give it a go.

#5 12 years ago

You cannot determine a fuse by looking at it. Like mentioned above, use a multimeter and set it for continuity. I think thats a basic function on all meters. The audio feature is not on all meters. Mine has the audio feature but you must select it on the meter. Place the meter's leads on each end of fuse. With the audio feature you get a tone, if no audio feature you look at the display to see a reading thats not 0. Get a tone or numbers fuse is good. No tone or a 0 reading=fuse bad.

Many times you can check a fuse while its seated but I had instances where I had to remove the fuse before checking. A bad fuse can check good sometimes if you leave it seated.

#6 12 years ago

Another random thought: would it make a difference if the machine is plug in and turned on while doing this? right now only the GI is working and no LED on the MPU board.

#7 12 years ago

No don't try to check the fuses under load! Turn machine off and pull each one out and check them individually.

#8 12 years ago

Power off! Take the fuse out of the holder and test it.Never try to test the fuse while it's in the holder with the power on.

#9 12 years ago

Thank you pinmike and RWH. I havn't done this yet, i am glad i asked

#10 12 years ago

Thanks for the help with the fuse problem, but now a new one has shown its ugly face. The game is a Stern Meteor. The game will play the first ball, but when it drains, it will not kick out another ball for ball 2. All the coils are fine. The score display flashes, like the computer knows ball one is done, but its like it not telling the game to reset to ball 2. Any ideas? thanks for the help, not trying to be a pain in the butt with all these questions.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from mojozone:

The game will play the first ball, but when it drains, it will not kick out another ball for ball 2

Check the switch in the ball through and check the switch in the drain hole.

#12 12 years ago

Thanks for the help tonight pinmike, i will check those switches and make sure they are working correctly. I am home now from my buddies house, so im sure we will dig into it again tomorrow night. thank again to everyone for there suggestions and help troubleshooting.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

No don't try to check the fuses under load! Turn machine off and pull each one out and check them individually.

You cannot check the fuse for resistance while installed but you can check for voltage. I do that all the time.

Instead of setting the meter the ohms and putting a lead on each side, select volts on the meter. Then put the black lead to ground and the red lead on one side of the fuse and read voltage. after reading one side then move the red lead to the other side of the fuse and read voltage. If the voltage is the same on both sides the fuse is good. If one side has power and the other does not the fuse is bad, simple.

I do this at times because I want to know the voltage so I can learn two things at once.

#14 12 years ago

I don't see any reason that you cannot check for fuse continuity while the fuse is installed. It should still show whether the resistance is zero or infinite with the fuse installed. I always use the ohm setting on my meter. I would not do this with the machine plugged in though, because you do not want to risk shorting out something.

I am and electrical engineer, so if I am wrong then tell me why that is. Thanks

Also, the voltage method between each end of the fuse and ground is a legit way to test fuse contunuity, but the machine probably needs to be on and you have to be careful not to short something as I said before.

#15 12 years ago

hope this gets resolved, please let us know how the fuse problem works out too mojozone, would love to learn.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

hope this gets resolved, please let us know how the fuse problem works out too mojozone, would love to learn.

Well we noticed that the person who had the pin before had put in the wrong size/amp for the fuses on the rectifier board, so we replaced all of them anyway. $13 for a new and some extras just in case. But now there is still the problem of the pin not realizing that its time for ball 2.

#17 12 years ago

You can check the fuse for continuity while it is in the holder. However, I've had a lot of fuses that were fatigued - some the end caps fell off of when removing them, some that tested good until they were flexed etc.

I remove them because I like to make sure they are the correct value.

#19 12 years ago

I am guessing that the optical sensor (or mechanical switch) in the ball trough is not seeing the drained ball. The machine probably does not activate the next ball until the last ball is sensed. I am still somewhat new to pinball work so it is my guess based on my limited understanding of how the parts work together.

By the way, very good advice John. Those fuses are pretty cheap and can easily come apart as a physical failure rather than an electrical failure. After I bought my machine NIB I had one fuse failure and decided to buy a 5-pack of every size the machine uses through pinballlife just so I could fix the machine quickly anytime a fuse went out. They are very inexpensive to keep spares on hand.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fuse-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.