5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by baldtwit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Door switch (resized).JPG
    Door & switch (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

I have a Bally Surf Club which plays just fine but pops the 10amp 30v fuse when the back door is closed fully. I found some bare wires in the main harness in the back under a metal strap which had corroded, it eat right through the cloth covering on the wire. I though for sure this was my problem (a problem but not the problem). Looked all over for a little burn mark maybe where something was shorting out but found nothing so far. It seems like the fuse pops as soon as a coin is dropped when the coin divert (?) coil pulls in on the coin door. Only does it when the back door is fully closed. I am thinking there is something just a little too close to something else and I am getting a dead short when this circuit is energized. Does anyone know if there is something to look for in the back which is close to something else that might touch if it loosens, gets bumped, falls out of adjustment etc.?

#2 5 years ago

I'd open it up, slide a yardstick or something long and flat across the back, and look for things close to the yard stick. That could be what your door is hitting or pushing into something else.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Don’t close the back door then....

#4 5 years ago

Seriously tho, LTG has a great idea. Try that.

#5 5 years ago

I don't have a Surf Club but it should have a switch that closes when the door is shut, located on the back door at the top left. Does disabling this switch correct the problem? It isn't necessary for operation of the machine.

#6 5 years ago

My "Bikini" machine has a switch near the top right.
    It turns on a light to get a look at all MY money in
    the coin box.
    The door holds the switch OPEN when it's closed.
    I guess you could call it NO.
    It was not working when I got the machine, but I
    thought it would be neat to get it working, like your
    refrigerator light; but in THIS case you KNOW that the
    light goes out when the door is closed

Door & switch (resized).JPGDoor & switch (resized).JPGDoor switch (resized).JPGDoor switch (resized).JPG
    #7 5 years ago

I used to have a shuffle alley that would do the same thing. It had a hinged back door with wiring loom attached. Over the years the constant flexing of the loom near the door edge caused some wiring insulation to fray. When the door closed a couple bares spots in the wiring would touch. Sounds like what your on to but don't dismiss any wiring deeper in the loom. You may need to inspect a by spreading more of the loom to see if there are any more frayed wires hidden inside.

#8 5 years ago

I don't recall there being a switch at the top left but I will take another look.
    LTG, there is some merging of things within the back box with some things mounted on the back door. Nothing sticks out quite that far but like I said they do merge within the cabinet. So I think it is this merging of things or like AlexF says there may be more damage in the loom that I have missed. I did remove all the metal strap since even though there is a coating on them they were still corroded and starting to eat the wire coating. So the harness was repair in two places.

1 week later
    #9 5 years ago

the most common things when the back door is closed is:
    - trip relay bank wiring shifting/rubbing against the head
    - twisting of the main harness within the cable clamps like you already found

try removing the backglass and flipping down the lamp panel. You can then look around the edges of most of the back door and see if any wiring harnesses are hitting the head wood and see if any units are hitting the CU switch wiring.

also look to see if the CU wiring that should be supported above the metal shelf is drooping due to broken plastic clips. The units on the door bottom need to go into the space below the metal shelf.

the switch on the back door lock on many games disconnects the meters so they don't do anything when the doors are open (there's a switch on the front door too in addition to the light switch). Don't think surf club has those switches.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fuse-pops-when-back-door-is-closed?hl=baldtwit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.