• Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

circuit breaker fuse.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Been trying to get a friends T2 up and running. He had to take it back tot he guy he bought it from for problems with the left flipper. Those issues seem to be resolved, but now that they have goten into an argument over the phone, my friend is stuck with a right flipper issue. That's where I came in to do my best.
I've rebuilt the flipper, installed a new EOS switch, re-soldered connections, and generally spent a good amount of time staring at the machine looking for any obvious shorts and/or problems.
What I've learned is this: Fuse 102 (the dedicated fuse for the right flipper) blows after a very short time playing. Sometimes within one button hit, sometimes it will last half a game. Somebody suggested I start checking diodes and transistors, but didnt really clue me in on which ones I should be checking, but the ones I did test seemed to be fine.
So I'm at a bit of a loss. Does anybody know what transistor(s) I need to be looking at? Is it possible the capacitor on the flipper is bad? Could the EOS be wired wrong? I've tried so many things and have blown what feels like one million fuses.
Any help would be great, thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Just a stab but are you sure you don't have an underrated fuse installed? It is rated for the correct amperage right?

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from spd303:

I've tried so many things and have blown what feels like one million fuses.

Job #1, make these and quit wasting money on fuses:

circuit breaker fuse.jpgcircuit breaker fuse.jpg
#4 10 years ago
Quoted from spd303:

Been trying to get a friends T2 up and running. He had to take it back tot he guy he bought it from for problems with the left flipper. Those issues seem to be resolved, but now that they have goten into an argument over the phone, my friend is stuck with a right flipper issue. That's where I came in to do my best.
I've rebuilt the flipper, installed a new EOS switch, re-soldered connections, and generally spent a good amount of time staring at the machine looking for any obvious shorts and/or problems.
What I've learned is this: Fuse 102 (the dedicated fuse for the right flipper) blows after a very short time playing. Sometimes within one button hit, sometimes it will last half a game. Somebody suggested I start checking diodes and transistors, but didnt really clue me in on which ones I should be checking, but the ones I did test seemed to be fine.
So I'm at a bit of a loss. Does anybody know what transistor(s) I need to be looking at? Is it possible the capacitor on the flipper is bad? Could the EOS be wired wrong? I've tried so many things and have blown what feels like one million fuses.
Any help would be great, thanks!

Just a shot in the dark: Did you replace the coil when you rebuilt the flipper?
and another: It does sound a bit like the EOS is not always opening up like it should. If you press and hold the button in you should be able to see the gap well...every time. If it's too close it may not be opening up every time. Depending on how much the flipper is held during a game, could be why it last short time on some and long on other games.

#5 10 years ago

Can you take some good pics of that flipper assembly and post them?

RM

#6 10 years ago

-EOS switch?
-are you using SB fuses?
-check the amperage it's drawing, hook up a mulitmeter to the fuse holder and see what it's drawing.

I had a similar problem with my TOM last week. It was drawing 7AMPs on a 3 A SB fuse. tried everything…solenoids etc.. finally put a new board in to test it and it was only drawing 2-3 amps. changed out some transistors on the original board put it back in and boom…worked perfectly, no more excessive amperage draw.

#7 10 years ago

Ck the ohms on that coil and compare it to the coil on the working flipper. Could be bad coil drawing too much current.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Job #1, make these and quit wasting money on fuses:
circuit breaker fuse.jpg 262 KB

Vid, can we get a parts list/supplier to make those?

Thanks,

RussMyers

#9 10 years ago

First, double check the wiring on the flipper coil. It may be wired up incorrectly. Look in your manual for the wiring. If you replaced the flipper coil, you may have reconnected the wiring wrong. Or, it's possible that it was wrong when your friend got the game.

#10 10 years ago

I'll try address all of these in one post so I don't flood the thread:

>Just a stab but are you sure you don't have an underrated fuse installed? It is rated for the correct amperage right?<
2.5A Slo-Blow fuse is what is called for and has been used each time. I think it was initially a 3A fuse installed when he bought the machine, but that blew equally as quickly.

>Just a shot in the dark: Did you replace the coil when you rebuilt the flipper?<
I did not. My understanding is that coils don't go out very often, but I will get a price on one and perhaps rebuild with a new coil.

>and another: It does sound a bit like the EOS is not always opening up like it should. If you press and hold the button in you should be able to see the gap well...every time. <
The EOS absolutely opens every time.

>Can you take some good pics of that flipper assembly and post them?<
I will do that the next time I'm under the playfield, perhaps tomorrow if everything works out.

>First, double check the wiring on the flipper coil. It may be wired up incorrectly. Look in your manual for the wiring. If you replaced the flipper coil, you may have reconnected the wiring wrong. Or, it's possible that it was wrong when your friend got the game.<
Judging from pictures I've looked at online and the way the (working) left flipper is wired, I don't think this is the issue, but I will post a good pic and let the senior pinheads decide!

#11 10 years ago

thanks, by the way, to everybody! I've vowed to get this machine working and with your help and maybe a little solder, I will accomplish that!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Vid, can we get a parts list/supplier to make those?
Thanks,
RussMyers

It might be too easy for anyone to make commercially, although we could ask GPE and see.

All you need is a circuit breaker, some solder and a blown fuse.

Grab some on your next GPE order:

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Category-56.asp

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fuse-on-t2-keeps-blowing-im-at-a-loss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.