New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 148802)

Fuse for every coil

By L_satan

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6530_(resized).JPG
IMG_6529_(resized).JPG
IMG_6528_(resized).JPG

#1 4 years ago

Something strange with the Williams Flash I am restoring for a friend. It works fine, needs the basic board care, mechanical updates, but one very unusual thing; every coil has a fuse. I'd like to clean it up and get rid of them and the excess wires, but is it possible there is an issue upstream; if so,what might that be?
Curious to know if any one has seen this before.

Thanks, folks.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from L_satan:

Something strange with the Williams Flash I am restoring for a friend. It works fine, needs the basic board care, mechanical updates, but one very unusual thing; every coil has a fuse. I'd like to clean it up and get rid of them and the excess wires, but is it possible there is an issue upstream; if so,what might that be?
Curious to know if any one has seen this before.
Thanks, folks.

It's possible that there *was* an issue where the main solenoid fuse was blowing at some point. And to address the issue, a previous owner probably fused each coil so that the game would still operate for the most part--probably while on location so it could still earn, even if one coil was out of commission.

It's entirely possible that the original issue was fixed when the owner found out which coil(s) was causing the main solenoid fuse to blow. When there's only one main fuse for all the coils, it can be an annoying trial-and-error process to try to track down which coil is actually causing the main fuse to blow.

Before you start taking out those extra fuses, make sure all the factory-installed fuses are correct according to the manual and see if you have a problem with it blowing. Also, make sure that the original wire on the harness is still long enough to reach the coil's lug.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's possible that there *was* an issue where the main solenoid fuse was blowing at some point. And to address the issue, a previous owner probably fused each coil so that the game would still operate for the most part--probably while on location so it could still earn, even if one coil was out of commission.
It's entirely possible that the original issue was fixed when the owner found out which coil(s) was causing the main solenoid fuse to blow. When there's only one main fuse for all the coils, it can be annoying trial-and-error process to try to track down which coil is actually causing the main fuse to blow.
Before you start taking out those extra fuses, make sure all the factory-installed fuses are correct according to the manual and see if you have a problem with it blowing. Also, make sure that the original wire on the harness is still long enough to reach the coil's lug.

Good advice. Will do.

#4 4 years ago

If done correctly a fuse for each solenoid is not a bad idea, and can save a lot of board repairs. The factory didn't do it for cost purposes.

#5 4 years ago

I'd like to see a picture.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

If done correctly a fuse for each solenoid is not a bad idea, and can save a lot of board repairs. The factory didn't do it for cost purposes.

That's what I would think too.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd like to see a picture.

lol. Me, too.

#8 4 years ago

I'll post some pics in the morning.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is quite to the point. Thought I would try and get a consensus leaving the fuses, or cleaning up anything unnecessary.

#10 4 years ago

I would do this when doing a restore, screw the fuse holder to the P/F along side of the coil. Then unsolder the power wire and solder it to the fuse holder. Add a 4 inch wire from other side to the coil and insert a 1 amp fuse. It doesn't have to be a birds nest.

#11 4 years ago

I had a comet that someone had done the same thing the only problem is the fuses they installed were to big at 5 amp . I think the added fuse is a good idea it could save from burning up. Coils and transistors if correctly fused

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from pintime:

the fuses they installed were to big at 5 amp .

Yea a 3/4 or 1 amp slow blow is plenty big enough.

#13 4 years ago

Here are some pics. Please forgive the resolution--it's the best I can do, and clear enough. As you can see, it's not terrible, but I do like to keep a very tidy house. I'm not above pulling the fuses and replacing them in a very close proximity to the coil attached.

Don't mind the flipper I am rebuilding.

IMG_6528_(resized).JPG
IMG_6529_(resized).JPG
IMG_6530_(resized).JPG

#14 4 years ago

Well that's not bad at all Zach. I'd keep it.

#15 4 years ago

I'm with Paul on this, not that bad.

#16 4 years ago

I was picturing something real bad in my head. This was done pretty good. I'd leave it.

#17 4 years ago

Yup, I was imaging something way worse and hacked to oblivion. That's actually fairly neat and tidy. I'd leave it alone and then just label the holders with the fuse values to use.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's actually fairly neat and tidy. I'd leave it alone and then just label the holders with the fuse values to use.

+1

Fwiw, on Gottlieb System 80's, prior to the 'ground mods' I use to add these to most coils. .50 cent fuse is a lot easier to replace that $5 coils when the machine locks on....

#19 4 years ago

Sounds great, guys. That'll save me some time. I'll check the fuses, and switch out to 1 amp as needed, and just tidy it up with some zip ties.

#20 4 years ago

Hey Zach, when you get done tiding up your game come on over and fuse all my coils. That's a good lad.

#21 4 years ago

For your Space Station!?! You got it, Paul!

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from L_satan:

For your Space Station!?! You got it, Paul!

I was just kidding, I know how busy you are with acting and stuff.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
New Kensington, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, SC
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 11.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 218.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
$ 44.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 209.99
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside