• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0163 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0164 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

All of a sudden a my shoot 1 and shoot 2 coils stopped working in Fastbreak. These are for shooting the basket in position 1 and 2. They share a common wire red/vio. I traced it to a blown F118 fuse. If I replace the fuse it immediately blows again when either of those 2 coils attempt to fire. I removed the connector supplying power to the coils and when I run the coil test the fuse doesn't blow. I assume this means the board is ok and it's a problem with one of the coils or wiring. I can find no shorts or cut wiring or anything wrong with the wiring to those two coils.

Any ideas what to try next?

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Any ideas what to try next?

Disconnect one of the coils and try. If it blows that is the bad coil, if not, it's the other coil.

Check that their lugs aren't close to metal of any kind.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Disconnect one of the coils and try. If it blows that is the bad coil, if not, it's the other coil.
Check that their lugs aren't close to metal of any kind.

Thanks for the tip. I just got around to working on this again this morning after Thanksgiving. If I disconnect the Shoot 1 coil. The fuse blows and Shoot 1 and 2 don't fire. If I disconnect Shoot 2 the fuse doesn't blow and Shoot 1 fires.

Does this mean the Shoot 2 coil is bad and should be replaced? I can see nothing wrong with the wiring of that coil or metal near the tabs.

Thank you.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Does this mean the Shoot 2 coil is bad and should be replaced?

I'd start there.

Quoted from SimplePin:

I can see nothing wrong with the wiring of that coil or metal near the tabs.

Could be shorted internally.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd start there.

Coils ordered. I'll report back in a few days.

Thanks again.

#6 2 years ago

My new coil will be arriving later today. In anticipation I opened up the cabinet and decided check the suspect coil with my multimeter. All four of the shoot coils measure the same 3.9 ohms. Does that mean that the coil is not shorted?

Thanks

#7 2 years ago

I replaced the coil and it still blows the fuse. Not sure what else to check for or test at this point.

#8 2 years ago

You need to test the transistors associated with those coils. Manual will tell you which transistor goes with each coil.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Transistor_.22Quick_Check.22

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

You need to test the transistors associated with those coils. Manual will tell you which transistor goes with each coil.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Transistor_.22Quick_Check.22

I pulled the board and tested both the TIP-102 and TIP-36c transistors associated with the Shoot 1 and Shoot 2 coils. The TIP-102 at location Q86 is showing continuity or bad. I'm guessing I should replace this transistor as my next move? Love Marco . I only need $2.29 part and it will cost me $9.99 shipping. I'll have to throw a bunch of other random spares into my order including more of both of these transistors.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

I'm guessing I should replace this transistor as my next move?

You guessed right. You also want to double check the new coils (resistance) and any diodes on the coils. Don't think those coils call for diodes, but if they do, test them. Shorted transistors sometimes destroy diodes.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

I pulled the board and tested both the TIP-102 and TIP-36c transistors associated with the Shoot 1 and Shoot 2 coils. The TIP-102 at location Q86 is showing continuity or bad. I'm guessing I should replace this transistor as my next move? Love Marco
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"7409f148f54cc323155f727698415c0683dc1e80-1638235450-1800"};
//]]>

. I only need $2.29 part and it will cost me $9.99 shipping. I'll have to throw a bunch of other random spares into my order including more of both of these transistors.

Replace both of them.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

You guessed right. You also want to double check the new coils (resistance) and any diodes on the coils. Don't think those coils call for diodes, but if they do, test them. Shorted transistors sometimes destroy diodes.

Yep. No diodes on those coils. I will test the coils as well. By the way, I'm guessing you are a Phish fan. I caught both of the Hershey Park shows this summer!

#13 2 years ago

I'm happy to report that I have fixed my Fastbreak. I ended up replacing both the TIP102 and TIP36 C associated with the affected coil and fuse. Machine is playing great after being down for over week.

Everyone of you was instrumental in troubleshooting and offering the solutions.

Thank you!

IMG_0163 (resized).jpegIMG_0163 (resized).jpegIMG_0164 (resized).jpegIMG_0164 (resized).jpeg
#14 2 years ago

Looks like I got ahead of myself. Everything worked perfectly for 10 games or so and then the Shoot 1 and 2 coils stopped working. Blown fuse again at F118. Quick test of the replaced transistors shows that they were ok. Any ideas?

The saga continues.

Thanks

1 month later
#15 2 years ago

So I'm still stuck on this problem. Something is frying the transistors associated with shoot 2 coil. After the above repairs fixed my problem the problem came back after a few games. I pulled the power board and tested the transistors and the TIP102 was again dead. I replaced that transistor and swapped the board into my NGG. NGG plays fine and doesn't blow the fuse.

I put the board back into FB and ran the coil tests on shoot 2. The coil fired 20 times or so then started buzzing. I immediately turned off the machine and the fuse was blown. The quick test on the TIP102 says it's still good. I will pull the board later today and do the full test of that transistor by placing the probes on the legs and measuring.

I've used my DMM to test the wiring from the board to the coil and from the jumper to the coil and it doesn't seem like there is a short in the wiring between the board and the coil.

Not sure if this additional info is useful to anyone here who may have an idea of what to try next. I am at my wits end and with this machine.

Thanks

#16 2 years ago

Did you check diode D88 on the powerdriver ?

NGG uses this for the "flipper hold" and has a diode on the coil.
NBA:FB uses this for a coil without installed diode.

When diode D88 has failed, transistor Q86 will eventually blow

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Did you check diode D88 on the powerdriver ?
NGG uses this for the "flipper hold" and has a diode on the coil.
NBA:FB uses this for a coil without installed diode.
When diode D88 has failed, transistor Q86 will eventually blow

I couldn't find a diode labeled D88 but if it's the one directly to the left of Q86 then it's reading .532 which is think is normal?

Thanks

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

if it's the one directly to the left of Q86 then it's reading .532 which is think is normal?

Yes and yes.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Yes and yes.

Any other ideas? I was hoping this was the culprit.

Thanks

#20 2 years ago

If the board did work in the NoGoodGofers then it must be something in wiring or coil.

The only difference between NGG and NBA:FB is the diode situated on the flippercoil.

4 months later
#21 1 year ago

So it turns out it was the power driver board. I built two different test harnesses to rule out the wiring or the coils. One of the harnesses I built was wired directly from the board to the coil and I was able to still blow the fuse. Swapped out the original board for a new Rottendog board and all is well. Sending the original board out for repair. Now I'll have an extra board for testing or as a backup. Can't believe I can finally play again.

Now NGG needs a little love.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Robbinsville, NJ
5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fuse-f118-blowing-on-coil-fire-nbafb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.