Sure Shot Tilt light (resized).JPG
Sure Shot H relay (resized).JPG
247F9A3F-84EE-436F-8F67-E2103635958E (resized).jpeg
6DEB5B8B-EF5B-4FD3-88B4-8C32148DBB81 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2933 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2932 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2929 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

I just purchased my first pin, 1976 Gottlieb Sure Shot. I was having an issue where the game would not come off tilt but figured out quickly it was a blown fuse, specifically the 25 volt/15 amp fuse. I replaced the fuse and it was playing great again. Then I noticed one of the stand up targets was not reacting well, thinking it was it's sensitivity. Then when it was finally hit hard enough, the gameplay stopped and it went into tilt again - the fuse blew again.

Any ideas on how to diagnose the issue further so I do not have to keep replacing the fuse?
I heard one option is to get a fuse with a circuit breaker.
Should I replace/repair the stand up target?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

IMG_2929 (resized).jpegIMG_2929 (resized).jpegIMG_2932 (resized).jpegIMG_2932 (resized).jpegIMG_2933 (resized).jpegIMG_2933 (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from ElJefeSherpa:

Any ideas on how to diagnose the issue further so I do not have to keep replacing the fuse?

Get out your schematic, find out what else is connected to the wires the stand-up target uses. There is a short somewhere. Use your multimeter to find it.

#3 1 year ago

The switch is probably related to a relay which would run on the 25V circuit; as stated, you need to schematic to diagnose (unless there is a clearly burnt coil somewhere).

#4 1 year ago

If that lamp socket lead is making contact with your target mounting bracket it will blow a fuse. Looks very close in the picture.

#5 1 year ago

And definitely by a cheap circuit breaker and some alligator clips. I like to clip the wires to it to both ends of the fuse holder. It will save you a lot of fuses and aggravation till you locate what’s causing the short.

#6 1 year ago

Is it me or is that an unusual switch for a stand-up?

On my Bank Shot, the #8-#14 stand-up is a single N.O. switch with the red+wh wires both running to the rear blade and an or+red to the target blade.

6DEB5B8B-EF5B-4FD3-88B4-8C32148DBB81 (resized).jpeg6DEB5B8B-EF5B-4FD3-88B4-8C32148DBB81 (resized).jpeg
#7 1 year ago
Quoted from AndrewP:

Is it me or is that an unusual switch for a stand-up?
On my Bank Shot, the #8-#14 stand-up is a single N.O. switch with the red+wh wires both running to the rear blade and an or+red to the target blade.[quoted image]

Must be a different rule set for lighting the lower pop bumper on Bank Shot than Sure Shot would be my guess.

My Sure Shot switches look like the OP’s.

247F9A3F-84EE-436F-8F67-E2103635958E (resized).jpeg247F9A3F-84EE-436F-8F67-E2103635958E (resized).jpeg
#8 1 year ago

So I got a slow blow fuse, and that has fixed the fuse from blowing. I tested everything on the playfield and it is definitely the #8/14 stand up causing the game to go into tilt.

#9 1 year ago

I bent the light away from the switch and that seems to be working so far. Tested it 5x! Fingers crossed! THANKS FOR THE HELP ALL!!!!!

#10 1 year ago

Everything is working well but I have an issue I wanted to know if I should be concerned about...

When I power on the machine the tilt light is lit. I press the start button and I need to send the ball down the playfield once for it to register and reset everything before I play it. Once I do it the game plays fine until the next time I turn the power on again.

Thanks for any help or advice!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from ElJefeSherpa:

Everything is working well but I have an issue I wanted to know if I should be concerned about...
When I power on the machine the tilt light is lit. I press the start button and I need to send the ball down the playfield once for it to register and reset everything before I play it. Once I do it the game plays fine until the next time I turn the power on again.
Thanks for any help or advice!

I think I have had the exact same issue on my Sure Shot. It seems like the ball ejects into the shooter lane before the score reels completely reset, therefore the Ball Count Unit does not step up to Ball 1, so you have to place it back into the outhole again and it steps up to ball 1 and it plays correctly.

On mine it doesn’t do that every time but more than half the time. Sometimes the score reels reset more quickly and it works fine. I was just getting ready to break out the schematics to see if I can figure it out. Maybe someone else will weigh in.

#12 1 year ago

I think the tilt light is supposed to be on when you first power on the machine. The tilt light being on or off depends on the state of the H relay. The schematic is drawn with a game started and the machine unplugged, so the H relay switch here is the state it's in when the H coil is unpowered.

Sure Shot Tilt light (resized).JPGSure Shot Tilt light (resized).JPGWhen you power on the machine, but haven't started a game, the switches on the AX relay as shown on the schematic. So as you can see in the snippet below, the H relay will not be powered until you start a game and AX relay changes state while the reset process is happening, providing a path to power on the H relay.

Sure Shot H relay (resized).JPGSure Shot H relay (resized).JPG

So don't worry about it.

#13 1 year ago

Yes tilt light is normally on, on power up.

#14 1 year ago

Hey seawolf - if your ball is being kicked out too early, it looks like the Motor 4C switch should be looked at. There are only 2 switches involved in energizing the Ball Return relay - a switch on the O relay and the Motor 4C switch. Look at it closely, maybe widen the gap a bit, make sure the switch dog is in the correct position.

Sure Shot Ball return (resized).JPGSure Shot Ball return (resized).JPG
#15 1 year ago
Quoted from paulace:

Hey seawolf - if your ball is being kicked out too early, it looks like the Motor 4C switch should be looked at. There are only 2 switches involved in energizing the Ball Return relay - a switch on the O relay and the Motor 4C switch. Look at it closely, maybe widen the gap a bit, make sure the switch dog is in the correct position.
[quoted image]

Ah, thanks paulace I'll look at 4c tonight. It’s a minor inconvenience but it sucks when you nail the 1 Ball rollover on the first plunger shot only to see that the Ball Count Unit didn’t advance to ball 1.

#16 1 year ago

I had some weirdness with a Quick Draw once where the trough switch was closing too early, causing some problems. I widened the trough switch so that it just made contact when the ball passed over it....fixed that problem. Just a thought.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fuse-blown-when-stand-up-target-hit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.