(Topic ID: 30747)

Fuse blowing after a while, shake your PCBs...

By stangbat

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jrrdw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I've been helping Gobster with a Corvette he picked up over a month ago. We've been slowly going through everything and last Thursday we thought we finally had everything taken care of. After I leave, Gobster contacts me and says after 10-15 minutes of playing the fuse for the 50v coils blows. Everything works fine, but after playing for a while, it blows.

We go through everything. Nothing looks out of place, coils measure fine, connections good, transistors seem fine. Only thing I can figure is a transistor is flaky, or maybe a coil is damaged and its windings are shorting when the game is being played. We're thinking about removing every 50v coil and inspecting it for damage. But before doing so, I take another look at the driver board. I look at everything on top, then turn the board over and something falls off. Gobster picks it up and asks what it is. It is a small piece of a clipped lead from a transistor. Someone who did board work in the past left a little souvenir. It had been hanging out somewhere on the driver board.

So now we're hoping that maybe this little piece was resting somewhere and causing all our grief. We put the board back in the game and it has been playing fine, no blown fuses. So the moral of the story is, watch where those little pieces go when you clip off a lead. I'm also going to be sure that I shake a board before I reinstall it whether I've done any work on it or not. You never know what might be hanging out and stuck somewhere.

#2 11 years ago

Well I told you about this before, did you forget? (I'm lying) You should really pay better attention to the advise I offer. (Now I'm lying even worse, snicker snicker).

Hay Stangbat, thanks for all the great advice you give and the time you take to give it because without it a lot of us would be lost.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, TN
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kenosha, WI
$ 37.50
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fuse-blowing-after-a-while-figured-id-share-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.