(Topic ID: 190270)

Fuse 25 Blowing - Street Fighter 2 - Ramp Solenoids

By statictrance

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statictrance.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I saw a post a few weeks ago on here regarding this same issue, but haven't been able to quite get a fix based on the somewhat erratic behavior of my ramps. My machine is blowing the fuse that controls the ramps (F25). Below is everything I've noticed/tested/etc and any help would be greatly appreciated. Street Fighter II

- Ensured the coil wiring is correct to the schematic
- Ensured the EOS is properly gapped for both on and off operation
- Replaced coils with the PBR recommended lower hold power variant
- Played games of various lengths (short games to 15+ minute games - dozens of ramp movements both left and right)
- Game is smart enough to function without ramp movement (Ramp shots count as Sagat and Vega, but regular Sagat and Vega shots do not occur in the course of play. I doubt this has anything to do with the issue, but was impressed there is error handling in the code.

The fuse seems to blow somewhere around the game over/game start sequence. One game the ramps will be working, game ends, then you start a new one and the ramps quit working because F25 is blown. But it doesn't always happen. I can sometimes play a number of games in a row - multiple players, over the course of a few days, etc. It does feel that turning the game off and on tends to pop it more than just game or game, but I have seen both scenarios. (for example a 1 in 2 change if I turn the machine off and on vs a 1 in 5 change if I just start a new game).

Thoughts/Questions...

- I doubt it's the MOSFET because the coils fire fine when the fuse is working - thoughts?

- Does anyone know what steps a sys 3 goes through during initialization?

- I haven't tested the EOS capacitor, but would assume that if the capacitor was bad, it would risk blowing F25 on ANY coil fire, not just during the game over/game start sequence

- Think doing the ground mod could solve my problem? Other than this the game runs perfectly and I would love to finish this issue off.

3 weeks later
#4 6 years ago

I'm going to try replacing the disc capacitors on the EOS (which I think is what Coco was referring to) - I don't have the right size on hand, so I'm ordering tonight... will likely install next week... I'll update here once I do and see if that does anything.

I'm really just at a total loss for what is actually wrong with it. It seems like a lot of people have very similar issues with the ramps. Quality Gottlieb construction.

3 weeks later
#6 6 years ago

So - I did a little more testing before replacing the caps last night (finally, I know... I have young twins; my free time is non-existant)

Anyway... I was testing to see if it was the left or the right ramp causing the issue so I could replace only one capacitor. I narrowed it down to the left ramp and tried firing it quickly in test mode. No issues. Then I power cycled the game a few times and bounced the ball around to trigger it up/down a few times... no issue.

Finally on starting a new game, I heard the coil hum, then kick off once the fuse blew. i hadn't heard it previously because I only tested with the glass on (again, kids... now moved 2 floors up away from the pins) I took the playfield up, grabbed a flash light and did some tinkering. I found the screws holding the metal bracket in place on the left ramp were using the wrong screws and must have been replaced at some time. They weren't quite the right size and gave the bracket some play it in. That must have caused the coil to occasionally bind and keep firing hot since it wouldn't depress the EOS. it was barely noticeable when the field was up - but once I replaced them and tightened everything up - so far, so good.

Also explains why the self test never had an issue, cause that's on/off regardless of the EOS.

3 years later
#9 2 years ago

Chun-Li is definitely unrelated. Make sure the fuses are good and the switch on the coils is making good contact. It's a 2 stage coil like a FLipper coil - and if that switch is misaligned it wouldn't have enough gusto to raise the ramp. If it isn't either of those 2 - then I'd be checking the driver board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statictrance.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fuse-25-blowing-street-fighter-2-ramp-solenoids?tu=statictrance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.