Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bagdad
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

asf (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

my who dunnit is blowing my fuse 116 after about 7-8 minutes of being on , i had just installed a pinball led kit and installed the led strip across the top . What i have noticed is my amp draw goes from average 2.1 amps to 2.7 just with the led strip installed . Is there any other place to install this strip so that i don't blow my f116 fuse anymore ? As in another source of 12v power not going through f116 or is that the only place to get 12v from ?
What are my options , the strip adds a nice glow across the top of the play field where its normally quite dark .

#2 2 years ago

What other mods do you have on your machine? Any?

#3 2 years ago

Install a brick power supply to power your mods and leds. Don't stress you PDB any more then needed. Under 10 bucks and free shipping on EBAY.

#4 2 years ago

sorry , no other mods , and was thinking the same thing Grumpy , like a pc power supply , or is there something less bulky ?

#6 2 years ago

excellent ! thanks !

#7 2 years ago

I am surprised an led strip would jack the Amps up enough to blow the 12v fuse.. are lots of people having this issue?

#8 2 years ago

i was surprised it draws .6-.7 amps . during game play it can pop up over 3 amps for a couple seconds , enough to blow that fuse , usually lasted about 7 mins before it popped , with the led strips disconnected i played for over an hour tonight , everything's perfect. the led strip is at the flippers and at the very top of the playfield .

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

ebay.com link » Dc 12v 5a 60w Regulated Switching Power Supply Adapter For Led Strip Light

is there a thread or page somewhere on how to install one of these? I am considering this method for my TAF. I'm assuming it turns on when the game is turned on.

-Rev

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I am surprised an led strip would jack the Amps up enough to blow the 12v fuse.. are lots of people having this issue?

Same thing I was wondering, what kind of LEDs did you use throughout the game? I would have expected them to bring the current draw way down from what the incandescents used, leaving plenty of current for the light strip!

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

I'm assuming it turns on when the game is turned on.

Not unless you move the black wire on the service outlet to the switched side of the switch. Currently service outlets are on all time.

Quoted from revmex:is there a thread or page somewhere on how to install one of these?

Not that I know.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I would have expected them to bring the current draw way down from what the incandescents used, leaving plenty of current for the light strip!

The incandescent bulbs that were replace with LEDs are 6.3 volt not 12 volts. The current reduction on the 6.3 volt line has no effect on the 12 volt UR line which run optos, motors, mods and displays. Now he has added a 12 volt LED strip on top of everything else and its just to much. The only fix is another 12 volt power supply or to purchase a 6.3 volt LED strip and connect to the GI circuits. But I think the OP wants this to be lit all the time so the GI circuit wont work as there turn on and off with game play.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

is there a thread or page somewhere on how to install one of these? I am considering this method for my TAF. I'm assuming it turns on when the game is turned on.
-Rev

Pinball Bulbs, CT, MezelMods, LerMods and others have 12V as does Ebay and Amazon.

Im fond of the ones I made in 6.3V and Frosted, in Matrix.
Taps off of GI, can be dimmed without a remote, and also allows split colors.
In addition, One can mount a white strip for Illumination, and other colors from Features, like Jackpot, Extra Ball, or to Flash
from a flasher connection.

#14 2 years ago

i will wire it to turn on when the power switch is turned on .

#15 2 years ago

If you need help with that just let me know.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

i will wire it to turn on when the power switch is turned on .

Please unplug the game when you do this.

LTG : )

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The incandescent bulbs that were replace with LEDs are 6.3 volt not 12 volts. The current reduction on the 6.3 volt line has no effect on the 12 volt UR line which run optos, motors, mods and displays. Now he has added a 12 volt LED strip on top of everything else and its just to much. The only fix is another 12 volt power supply or to purchase a 6.3 volt LED strip and connect to the GI circuits. But I think the OP wants this to be lit all the time so the GI circuit wont work as there turn on and off with game play.

I really have to learn to stop posting after a certain amount of Bourbon has been consumed!

#18 2 years ago

You could probably increase the fuse size to include the light strip (obviously to a very specific amount), as if anything actually went awry it would still be the same kind of safety at the proper level, just plus accounting for the light strip, if that is easy to understand - the range between "healthy" and "there's a problem, fuse needs to blow" would still be the same as long as the light strip was pulling a load and taking any of the extra free space you've given that a malfunction could abuse without it. You'd just have to remember to change the fuse back if you ever removed the light strip from the cabinet.

That being said though, not sure how the power supply, connectors, or wiring would like that though - so the external power supply is probably your best bet.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please unplug the game when you do this.

i'm well aware of how electricity works Lloyd lol , thanks though.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

You could probably increase the fuse size to include the light strip (obviously to a very specific amount), as if anything actually went awry it would still be the same kind of safety at the proper level, just plus accounting for the light strip, if that is easy to understand - the range between "healthy" and "there's a problem, fuse needs to blow" would still be the same as long as the light strip was pulling a load and taking any of the extra free space you've given that a malfunction could abuse without it. You'd just have to remember to change the fuse back if you ever removed the light strip from the cabinet.
That being said though, not sure how the power supply, connectors, or wiring would like that though - so the external power supply is probably your best bet.

i was just concerned about the connectors on the board drawing a little more that way .

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

i'm well aware of how electricity works Lloyd lol , thanks though.

Glad you are. A lot of people think turning the game off is enough when working with AC at the on/off switch.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

i was just concerned about the connectors on the board drawing a little more that way .

And the circuit board traces.

1 month later
#23 2 years ago

I purchased the additional power supply for my TAF - similar to the one mentioned above from eBay. How did you set this up? Does it turn on when the pin turns on? How did you connect that?
Or did you add a power switch?
Only other set up is to open the coin door and conenct it every time you play.

-Rev

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from revmex:

How did you set this up? Does it turn on when the pin turns on?

I move the black wire that is on the service outlet to the other side of the switch. If you need more help just let me know.

11 months later
#25 1 year ago

I have a similar issue with my Hurricane kit. When the light strip is plugged, fuse 116 blow instantly when the machine is turned on...

Any idea what could be wrong?

#26 1 year ago

You have a short on the light strip. You gotta find out what is shorted and fix it.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

I have a similar issue with my Hurricane kit. When the light strip is plugged, fuse 116 blow instantly when the machine is turned on...
Any idea what could be wrong?

LED strips take too much current for the WPC games to use off of J116. You need to add an external power supply for them.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Pinball Bulbs, CT, MezelMods, LerMods and others have 12V as does Ebay and Amazon.
Im fond of the ones I made in 6.3V and Frosted, in Matrix.
Taps off of GI, can be dimmed without a remote, and also allows split colors.
In addition, One can mount a white strip for Illumination, and other colors from Features, like Jackpot, Extra Ball, or to Flash
from a flasher connection.

we use both 12v and 6v strips depending on the application. For backboard lights, it’s 6v, runs off GI. We use the 12v strips for flasher mods and backbox mods. A 15” 6v led strip should not blow any fuses.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

A 15” 6v led strip should not blow any fuses.

To be clear, above statement is referring to this one below?

Quoted from Lermods:For backboard lights, it’s 6v, runs off GI.

So you do not really have any LED strips tied into the 12Vunregulated, correct?

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

To be clear, above statement is referring to this one below?

So you do not really have any LED strips tied into the 12Vunregulated, correct?

No, we do not

#31 1 year ago

LED strips take too much current for the WPC games to use off of J116. You need to add an external power supply for them.

They are going to send me another strip as there might be a problem with this one. If it still don't work, I'm going to look for other options...

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

They are going to send me another strip as there might be a problem with this one. If it still don't work, I'm going to look for other options...

Where did you have it wired? If it is connected to GI, there is no way it should be blowing the F116 fuse.

Can you leave all the LED light strips out and make sure that the F116 does not blow for a different reason?

#33 1 year ago

Where did you have it wired? If it is connected to GI, there is no way it should be blowing the F116 fuse.
Can you leave all the LED light strips out and make sure that the F116 does not blow for a different reason?

It's a 12v LED strip connected in one of the J117-J116-J118 12v connectors. I tried two of them and the fuse always blow. Without the strip everything is working fine.

But like I said, they are replacing the strip. We shall see then... This time I'm going to test it before going through all the installation...

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

It's a 12v LED strip connected in one of the J117-J116-J118 12v connectors. I tried two of them and the fuse always blow. Without the strip everything is working fine.
But like I said, they are replacing the strip. We shall see then... This time I'm going to test it before going through all the installation...

test the strip off a 9v battery. if it lights, it's not the mod. if it doesn't light, it's internally shorted and is your issue. surprised the people you got it from didn't suggest this.

2 weeks later
#35 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

test the strip off a 9v battery. if it lights, it's not the mod. if it doesn't light, it's internally shorted and is your issue. surprised the people you got it from didn't suggest this.

Well, they sent me another strip and everything was working perfectly when I tested it.

But now I played for 10 minutes and the fuse pop... Guess the solution is external supply then...

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Well, they sent me another strip and everything was working perfectly when I tested it.
But now I played for 10 minutes and the fuse pop... Guess the solution is external supply then...

Where did you have the new strip plugged in?

#37 1 year ago

Where did you have the new strip plugged in?

Same place as before, in J118 12v connector.

It work well when I turn the game on, do solenoid Test or leave the game idle for a while. But I think when I play, the backbox motor runs at the same time as the ferris and everything else, there is just too much juice pulled.

asf (resized).jpg

#38 1 year ago

Another new strip will not do any good connecting to this same connector (12vunreg). You are going to have to add the external power supply if you want to use those light strips.

#39 1 year ago

Yep, this is the plan.

The first strip had an internal issue tho, it was not working at all. The new one they sent is working fine, but it blow the fuse during gameplay. So yeah, external power supply incoming.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 119.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 16.00
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fairbank, IA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 26.50
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside