• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

183603745_518046706221992_858020641236910009_n.jpg
184765827_810114916281852_6052518118802018128_n.jpg
#1 3 years ago

After having fixed the wiring issues on my PDB I now have proper voltage at all test points and the machine is booting into game.

new issue is no play field lights or solenoids

the first couple times I powered on the machine I had no playfield lights or solenoids. I checked all the connections against the schematics and I have everything plugged in correctly. about the third time I was checking the machine started to boot with playfield lights. it did this a couple times then they stopped coming on again. although none of the solenoids ever work in test mode.

I have two wires for what I suspect was a coin door switch. however when I put a micro switch on it in the NC position it has no effect other than telling me the coin door is open when using the menu buttons, so I took it off so that it doesn't tell me the door is open when I try to go to the menu.

the reel worked when the play field lights worked, and when they stopped working so did the reel.

made extra sure all connectors are plugged in all the way. reseated all of them 4 or 5 times actually.

I have toned out all but 4 wires going from the PDB plugs J127 and J130 to their respective solenoids with no issues.

I have also verified 50V at the solenoids as well.

no fuses blown, no magic smoke escaping

It seems like something is loose somewhere but I'm not seeing it.

#2 3 years ago

You should grab the manual, this way you'll be able to identify loose wires.. The coin door switch doesn't do much in fish tales besides blocking you from accessing the settings menu if the door is closed. In newer machine this interlock is used to cut off high voltage under the playfield. In your case, the switch needs to be opened so you can use the settings buttons.

Such intermittent issues might be caused by dirty/corroded connectors on the CPU board, dirty/corroded header pins on CPU, incorrectly connected connectors.. Or worse,battery acid corrosion (very common).

Can you provide a pic of the CPU board from battery holder down to the connectors, so we can verify the integrity of the board and verify for corrosion.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Roamin:

You should grab the manual, this way you'll be able to identify loose wires.. The coin door switch doesn't do much in fish tales besides blocking you from accessing the settings menu if the door is closed. In newer machine this interlock is used to cut off high voltage under the playfield. In your case, the switch needs to be opened so you can use the settings buttons.
Such intermittent issues might be caused by dirty/corroded connectors on the CPU board, dirty/corroded header pins on CPU, incorrectly connected connectors.. Or worse,battery acid corrosion (very common).
Can you provide a pic of the CPU board from battery holder down to the connectors, so we can verify the integrity of the board and verify for corrosion.

I've got the manual and everything is plugged in per the schematics included. I guess loose wire is not the correct term more so possibly an open in a wire somewhere. I assumed it would be off the PDB, and hadn't even considered the CPU board. glad to verify that isnt a high voltage cut off in the coin door though.
as requested pics of the CPU board from batteries down. no corrosion from leaky batteries that I can see.

184765827_810114916281852_6052518118802018128_n.jpg184765827_810114916281852_6052518118802018128_n.jpg183603745_518046706221992_858020641236910009_n.jpg183603745_518046706221992_858020641236910009_n.jpg
#4 3 years ago

Have you tried unplugging the ribbon cable a few times at each connector? Or even better, to use a new one? It could also be a possibility. The pictures are small but the board does like clean.

Did you verify all voltages again just to rule that out ? You mention the reel and the playfield lamps both stopped working at the same time , but they are on different power lines with different fuses. TP1 in 12V unregulated, used for the reel, TP8 is 18v for the lampe columns but also feeds TP3 for the regulated 12v. All these voltages are present ?

Do all the boards have a good connection to ground ? Are they all screwed in tight ?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Roamin:

Have you tried unplugging de ribbon cable a few times at each connector? Or even better, to use a new one? It could also be a possibility. The pictures are small but the board does like clean.
Did you verify all voltages again just to rule that out ? You mention the reel and the playfield lamps both stopped working at the same time , but they are on different power lines with different fuses. TP1 in 12V unregulated, used for the reel, TP8 is 18v for the lamp columns but also feeds TP3 for the regulated 12v. All these voltages are present ?
Do all the boards have a good connection to ground ? Are they all screwed in tight ?

I've unplugged and plugged in all the connectors multiple times while troubleshooting as well as making sure all the wires were secure in the crappy stock connectors, but I can definitely go over them all and make sure I don't see any that are dirty or corroded . I'm not sure I have any ribbon cables around anymore, since everything when SATA, to try different ones. I'll make sure the connectors are as clean as I can though and check continuity on the pins.

I did verify voltage on all test pins and all were with in 1v of the target voltage if not spot on.

as far as I can see they are all grounded via the screws to the back plate and the ground ribbon is connected at all the places along its path to the power box.

not sure why the pictures came out small I told it to upload the original size which are pretty large.

#6 3 years ago

Playfield lights and solonoids are controlled by the CPU via the ribbon cable. Your ribbon cable looks new but that doesn't mean its good. I would simply try flipping it over and see if that has any effect; if not, pull your CPU board and put it on a hard surface (like your workbench) and press down on all the socketed chips...especially the ASIC.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Playfield lights and solonoids are controlled by the CPU via the ribbon cable. Your ribbon cable looks new but that doesn't mean its good. I would simply try flipping it over and see if that has any effect; if not, pull your CPU board and put it on a hard surface (like your workbench) and press down on all the socketed chips...especially the ASIC.

I cleaned all the pins on the ribbon cable as well as the connectors along the bottom as there was some corrosion on the wire side connectors. One of those did the trick, and its back up and running 100% now.

thanks for all the help and things to keep in mind for my next pinball machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

4,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 149.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.