3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jgaltr56
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
    16a5a5de2bea65a5eaac5fa482a0ee9a (resized).jpg
    522563_3749262487351_1578965442_n (resized).jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago

I suggest that regardless of what or when you find for a new furnace that you at least have a CO2 detector on each floor of the house. some are integral to smoke detectors while some other wall mounted units have a digital readout of ppm which are very helpful.

I advise against installing your own unit unless you really know what you are doing with codes pertaining to gas line and venting. As an electrician I see shoddy DIYS electrical often.

#52 3 years ago

Last year I paid $5500 for a new (middle of the road) furnace, ac, and I had the ac moved to a different area outside so they had to do electrical as well.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from kuelman:

Well maybe in CO they give natural gas away but in my area you would be a fool to have a 80% furnace installed.
    Spend the extra upfront for a 96% furnace unless you like paying more for heat over and over and over every winter.
    Would you buy a new vehicle that gets 8 miles to a gallon? Of course not at least the average person would not.
    The average payback between the two is around 2-3 years could be less depending on your old furnace.

Wow! A 2-3 year payback is amazing so yeah I'd be a moron not to go that route. Care to share your math? I'm genuinely curious.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Wow! A 2-3 year payback is amazing so yeah I'd be a moron not to go that route. Care to share your math? I'm genuinely curious.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm close to that as well. I was paying about $900 per delivery for oil and filling it almost once a month. Estimate $4500. Bought my new furnace, I'm down to just over $200 per delivery for propane and filling up every 60 days. Figure $1000 last winter.

Plus my energy bill was down as well. My original furnace used 2-50 Amp circuits. The new one uses 1-20 Amp (might even be a 15A). So it's possible. My original furnace was such a mess from the previous owners piecing cheap parts together on it instead of getting it properly repaired. Obviously, it's going to be different in each situation depending on how bad off the current furnace is, where you live, cold/warm winter.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jason1413:

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm close to that as well. I was paying about $900 per delivery for oil and filling it almost once a month. Estimate $4500. Bought my new furnace, I'm down to just over $200 per delivery for propane and filling up every 60 days. Figure $1000 last winter.
    Plus my energy bill was down as well. My original furnace used 2-50 Amp circuits. The new one uses 1-20 Amp (might even be a 15A). So it's possible. My original furnace was such a mess from the previous owners piecing cheap parts together on it instead of getting it properly repaired. Obviously, it's going to be different in each situation depending on how bad off the current furnace is, where you live, cold/warm winter.

$900 a month! Yikes, that's a no brainer. Natural gas costs are much lower for sure. A 10% difference in efficiency would only equate to maybe $20/month in my case from NOV-MAR, so $100/yr. If it costs $3000 more for a HE furnace then my payback is 30 years! Of course the front range of Colorado is pretty mild with average high temps from 41 to 53 for NOV thru MAR and we get a lot of sun.

Again, I'm genuinely curious to see how others math works out. My furnace is nearly 20 years old and I will need to replace it soon.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

It's not hard to figure out for your own situation.

Lets say that the heating portion of your gas bill is $400 in the 6 months out of the year you heat your home.

Lets say your old furnace is 80% efficient (worst case), and the new one is 96% efficient.

That would be an instant savings of $64 a month (or $384 a year)!

If your new furnace is $5000/$384 = 13 year payback.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

$900 a month! Yikes, that's a no brainer. Natural gas costs are much lower for sure. A 10% difference in efficiency would only equate to maybe $20/month in my case from NOV-MAR, so $100/yr. If it costs $3000 more for a HE furnace then my payback is 30 years! Of course the front range of Colorado is pretty mild with average high temps from 41 to 53 for NOV thru MAR and we get a lot of sun.
    Again, I'm genuinely curious to see how others math works out. My furnace is nearly 20 years old and I will need to replace it soon.

The big problem is that natural gas lines are not ran everywhere. Even in the USofA

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The big problem is that natural gas lines are not ran everywhere. Even in the USofA

That's true.

If you're on Propane or god forbid, Electric heat, and your city has a vote to allow Natural Gas to be piped in - VOTE YES!!

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I'll admit, I did some roof work on my garage with a few people to save quite a bit of $. Even rebuilt a car transmission one winter. But there's no way I'm going to trust myself with installing a furnace. I just don't want to risk blowing up the house.

Furnace is easy.

I'm the same way. Less you spend on repairs, the more you have for toys, or whatever.

Pinion bearing went out on the truck, quoted $2k, screw that. Google the problem, find several good YouTube videos and well documented procedures for my exact axle, plus the lists of required parts, tools and equipment. Spent $2k on tools instead. Put in a better, stronger aftermarket posi while at it. It's been running fine for 6 years now. And I have the tools to do more axles, and more importantly, the experience and pride of defeating that problem. Same for engines, transmissions, plumbing, electrical, everything. Very few jobs will I pay for as long as I'm healthy enough to do it.

As for the furnace, the neighbors thought I had issues when they saw me welding on the furnace in the driveway mid October. That was about 8 years ago. I didn't like where the builder put it, so redid the filter box, and patched some new metal in. Took it all apart and inspected the heat exchangers, fixed some leaky gaskets. Flipped the furnace 180 degrees, moved it to a new location and moved all the return plenums in the basement so I could get the home theater room just the way I wanted and without a furnace in the middle of it. All the other utilities were spread around the basement like a blind man designed it, such a poor usage of space. I moved everything, water heater, furnace, water softener, pressure tank, etc. Too bad I sold that house and now get to do it all over again.

No disrespect to the skilled trades guys, but I'm so grateful for the internet. We really are spoiled nowadays. All it takes is a few good documented repairs and most anyone can save tons of money. We will put a new furnace and AC in this house come spring, the old one is a mess. The previous homeowner left no manuals for the furnace. That stupid draft inducer sounded like a cat suspended over a deep fryer when I kicked it on this season. No way something making that much noise will keep working until spring. Look up the part number on the inducer, $480.00 plus shipping. HELL NO!

It took several days of searching the web to find the right furnace, but one person did the job and posted the OEM part number for his inducer, $99.95 shipped from Amazon. Dimensions were similar, the configuration looked correct, so I ordered one. It is the same exact part, just a different color. It took 10 minutes to swap it, most of that was for splicing the wires. The dude that posted his repair, was originally quoted $1150.00 for that job.

So please, when you defeat a problem such as this, post your results for others to follow!

#60 3 years ago

It is pretty easy honestly. The hardest part for a newbie might be wiring up the thermostat. But it's easy to hook up the gas line. Every furnace comes with installation instructions so just check them for the recommended clearance of the PVC vent pipe if that's needed. Patching it into the supply and return is as easy as getting some metal, tin snips, screws, metal tape, and silicone depending on how close it matches the existing supply and return.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

It is pretty easy honestly. The hardest part for a newbie might be wiring up the thermostat. But it's easy to hook up the gas line. Every furnace comes with installation instructions so just check them for the recommended clearance of the PVC vent pipe if that's needed. Patching it into the supply and return is as easy as getting some metal, tin snips, screws, metal tape, and silicone depending on how close it matches the existing supply and return.

Get a permit and get it inspected. It's for your own safety and you may be asked if you try to sell the house.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Get a permit and get it inspected. It's for your own safety and you may be asked if you try to sell the house.

No doubt you should follow whatever rules your county has. Over here in Daviess and Greene County, IN we don't need any permits or inspections.

2 months later
    #63 2 years ago

I didn't want to start a new topic on this question so I'm posting in this semi-relevant thread in the hopes that one of you experts know this. What is the approximate heat output of a modern (DMD era) pinball machine when it is on and being played? My HVAC guy is asking so he can put what we have into his calculations for the basement load.

TIA

#64 2 years ago

How many machines do you have?

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I just don't want to risk blowing up the house.

Or killing the whole family with Co2 poisoning.

I just got a quote last month from a tech who said the motor was burning out. It was $2000 for an 80% and $5000 for a 95% furnace of a quality name brand installed. Part of the cost of the high efficiency is that it uses a different exhaust vent and has to be installed separate from the original venting. It also has the variable motor which sounds like a real benefit.

Turns out, I just needed a new run capacitor to make the old furnace 100%... a $5 part.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolv3:

How many machines do you have?

12 DMD era pins, 4 sit down drivers with 25" monitors, a MAME, Skeeball, EM bowler, and a 57" plasma TV would seem to be the primary heat sources we are contending with. In a finished basement with 9' ceilings. My HVAC guy says 20 people alone require about 2 tons of cooling, we have a 5 ton system. Just trying to make a guess if we even have enough capacity to do this if we redirect a lot more of the airflow into this space. We already went with a zoned system but have found we are not putting enough airflow into this area when we need it.

#67 2 years ago

I am not an expert, but it's a fact that any electricity consumed by the games will eventually turn into heat. Looking at your game list, I would guess that their total average power consumption is about 6 kW. The internet says 1 ton of cooling is about 3.5 kWh, which means the games should require nearly 2 tons of cooling. Another 2 tons for people, 1 ton for whatever else, and you're good to go.

This is a very rough estimate, but it's how I would look at it.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

12 DMD era pins, 4 sit down drivers with 25" monitors, a MAME, Skeeball, EM bowler, and a 57" plasma TV would seem to be the primary heat sources we are contending with. In a finished basement with 9' ceilings. My HVAC guy says 20 people alone require about 2 tons of cooling, we have a 5 ton system. Just trying to make a guess if we even have enough capacity to do this if we redirect a lot more of the airflow into this space. We already went with a zoned system but have found we are not putting enough airflow into this area when we need it.

It might make more sense to add a fresh air intake for this space. My system turns on a fan that draws filtered outside air into the ducts when the temperature outside is below your set point. Of course this only works in certain climates. Plus with 20 dudes in a small space it begins to smell like the Expo free play room real quick!

#69 2 years ago

Thanks for the answers. Both will help me out. I've always wanted some way to draw in outside air as that would have solved the problem last weekend when the temps outside were in the low 60s. Fact is we would like to have parties in the summer so I need to get more out of the a/c and it looks like that might be possible with the existing equipment. The guy that installed the zoning will be back tomorrow, whatever we come up with I'll post pictures back to this thread showing the new arrangement in case it help anyone else out. From my traveling around to other collector's homes I have found that having enough space to move around, and having adequate electricity for the games and a/c to keep everyone comfortable seems to be way down on the concern list, I'm trying to do better if I can.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

Thanks for the answers. Both will help me out. I've always wanted some way to draw in outside air as that would have solved the problem last weekend when the temps outside were in the low 60s. Fact is we would like to have parties in the summer so I need to get more out of the a/c and it looks like that might be possible with the existing equipment. The guy that installed the zoning will be back tomorrow, whatever we come up with I'll post pictures back to this thread showing the new arrangement in case it help anyone else out. From my traveling around to other collector's homes I have found that having enough space to move around, and having adequate electricity for the games and a/c to keep everyone comfortable seems to be way down on the concern list, I'm trying to do better if I can.

Good luck. Some good info here:
    http://www.aldes.us/images/ashrae_climatic_guide.pdf
    http://www.aldes.us/residential-system-solutions

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    € 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 14.95
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 79.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 239.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.95
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.95
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside