• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SteveP3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hello folks,

Man this hobby keeps you on your toes. Always a new riddle. Love it! Love solving them.

In this episode ...

I have a Theatre of Magic ... and a funny little issue has popped up.

- THIS HAPPENS SPECIFICALLY WHEN ONE BALL IS VANISHED (Locked in the back by the left orbit). At all other times ... the game is behaving normally.

- When a ball has vanished ... the standup target ("Center Ramp Targets") on the left side of the center ramp ADVANCES THE CLOCK. (Normally the right orbit (loop) would advance the clock).

- Also, when the ball has vanished ... 50% of the time ... the LEFT ORBIT RELEASES the Locked ball to start Tiger Saw Multiball. (This is normally only achieved by shooting the Right Orbit)

- Would also like to point out that on the switch matrix ... both Center Ramp Targets (on each side of the center ramp) are on the same box of the switch matrix (Row 2, Column... HOWEVER, only the left target is misbehaving, The "Center Ramp Target" on the Right Side does what it is supposed to.

*** I am assuming this is a diode problem ... however ... I would like to know if there is anything else I should look for. All suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

That Smiley face should be an 8. Not sure what happened there. Ha!

#3 10 years ago

I would go into switch test and see how activating that Ball Vanish lock switch affects the switch matrix. I'd definitely check the diode on that switch and make sure it's not touching anything it shouldn't be.

#4 10 years ago

Check Switches= Could be bad / intermittent, Sticking, Out of adjustment, Obstructed or shorting against something.

Check Wires. Continuity/ Loose at lug or connector or shorting against something

Check Diodes Faulty/ Disconnected or shorting against something.

#5 10 years ago

OK ... in switch diagnostics:

- When you hold both the Vanish Lock 1 switch (83) and Captive ball rest (52) at the same time ... then hit The left "Center Ramp Targets" Target ... guess what happens?

The DMD says that Center Ramp Targets (82) and Right Lane Enter (52) fire at the same time.

Thoughts? 82 and 53 are not on the same row or column.

However (52) and (82) are on the same row. And (52) and (53) are on the same column.

#6 10 years ago

Just tried putting a new diode on one of the center ramp targets. switch (82). Did not help.

Facts:

- There are two targets on either side of the center ramp that feed switch matrix 82.

- During normal play all switches work normally.

- When you hold vanish lock 1 (83) and Captive ball rest (52) ... ONLY ONE of the two center ramp targets misbehaves ... yet the other works just fine???

Anyone got a clue?

Thanks

#7 10 years ago

Bad diode, reversed diode or short on 52, 53 or 83 (most likely 53).

#8 10 years ago

Make sure the switch you are tripping manually matches the correct switch number in the matrix.
Also look for multiple switch closures in the same column / row.

You can test the column / rows at the CPU by unplugging the connectors and this will tell you quickly if its on the PF or the CPU board.

#9 10 years ago

Victory!

First off ... as usual ... thank you all for your wonderful support! The pinball community is so lucky to have you!

Ok ... the verdict:

Just before terryb's post ... My brother in law noticed that the diode on that culprit (the left center ramp targets ... 82) had it's band facing the opposite direction as the other center ramp target. Also ... one of the wires was soldered to the opposite side. So, we reversed the diode and put the wire in the proper place ... and BINGO! Of coarse everything worked!

Terryb ... you were totally right!

Why is this all weird?

Well ... the game worked fine before this problem started. The diode was always in that backward position. Weird. Just plain weird.

Who cares! TOM is flying again!

Once again, many thanks to those who took the time to help us out!

Cheers

#10 10 years ago

I have nothing to contribute other than an enjoyment of your nickname, ya Hoser!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funny-tom-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.