Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by rlevin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

We have been a Stern dealer for about 1 year or so and got a letter yesterday and a call from my rep the I am in a MAP violation which I never heard of. I was forced to raise the price by 200.00 on all our new Sterns or loose my Stern dealer . I had no ideal I could not sell these for what I wanted.

#2 11 years ago

Stoking the fires

#3 11 years ago

Pretty standard clause on most all dealerships, cars, appliances, anything.... It stops a big dealer from tanking a small dealer by selling at a loss long enough for small dealer to fold, then jacking the prices way up because they are now the only competition.

#4 11 years ago

And yeah, a dealer that didn't know that? And a new account? Pass the marshmallows.

#5 11 years ago

Sounds like grounds for an antitrust lawsuit.

#6 11 years ago

I have heard this from several distributors. What's happening is larger distributors that held the majority of market share are getting upset that Stern is setting up smaller distributors that they have to compete with. Some have some clout with Gary and have complained about it. They can no longer make a thousand dollars on a title-Boo Woo. I purchase my machines for a couple hundred over invoice-which is how it should be. Now Stern is becoming the price police and trying to maintain their primary distributors margins. It may be time for Stern to go direct-prices keep going up and up-people are getting upset. MAP pricing is like a car dealers MSRP. OP a way to get around it that some distributors are doing-charge what you need then give away some swag-like a free shaker with purchase(;

#7 11 years ago

You can actually sell them for what ever price you want. It's against the law for Stern to mandate what price you can sell them at. What they can do is tell you what the minimum advertised price (MAP) can be, but you can actually sell it below what you advertise it at.

#8 11 years ago

Obviously an advertised price has to have the rules enforced. You see "Call for price!" all the time for all sorts of things.

#9 11 years ago

Yeah, MAP is an interesting concept. I purchased a TV from best buy a few months back and it was one of those, you cant see the price until you add it to your cart. This is because MAP, they can not advertise it at a lower price, though they can sell it at a lower price.

#10 11 years ago

In all the paperwork I did with Stern never remember MAP in any of them and we have had Sterns price low before and never a problem but I think the Metallica is making Stern take notice. But if it is the rules so be it that is what we will price but I think I will do a free shaker upgrade on all of them good ideal.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from rlevin:

I think I will do a free shaker upgrade on all of them good ideal.

That's adding "value", a good competitive technique.

#12 11 years ago

You do realize that Stern doesn't like to be called out publicly or any little criticism and I would bet by posting this they will retaliate or pull your distributorship. Hell, they even remove little posts on facebook when they don't like the smallest criticisms.

#13 11 years ago

Yeah well, Rlevin ain't exactly a newcomer when it comes to sticking his nose out into a fire... lol..

He may not have many posts here, but is well known on KLOV.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from rlevin:

We have been a Stern dealer for about 1 year or so and got a letter yesterday and a call from my rep the I am in a MAP violation which I never heard of. I was forced to raise the price by 200.00 on all our new Sterns or loose my Stern dealer . I had no ideal I could not sell these for what I wanted.

MAP pricing is everywhere. Some policies get ridiculous. You can "sell" them for whatever you want, you just can't advertise them for whatever you want. That is all the MAP policies mean. It is against the law to force you to sell something at a set price.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

You do realize that Stern doesn't like to be called out publicly or any little criticism and I would bet by posting this they will retaliate or pull your distributorship. Hell, they even remove little posts on facebook when they don't like the smallest criticisms.

Fortunately (if that were even something Dale was concerned about) he didn't call them out or criticize them.

#16 11 years ago

Not sticking my nose in the fire just looking to understand it more.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funny-got-in-trouble-with-stern-yesterday and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.