(Topic ID: 257692)

Funniest Thing To Happen On A Pin Road Trip!

By HoneyBadger

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by grantopia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3539BF82-A013-4A38-8A8A-50B8D79C94E1 (resized).jpeg
    D08C244F-6696-43FA-A8CE-CA8FB3B2217F (resized).jpeg
    C0FFF243-3A8E-473C-BE76-330134003C3B (resized).jpeg

#1 7 months ago

I’d love to hear some funny pin road trip stories. I have a few myself which I’ll share in a bit. Tell me yours!

#2 7 months ago

Pintastic 2019, arrive 8:40pm Friday, lend my friend my Lincoln MKX, 8:50pm, get call from friend, car is totalled. $20k write-off. Rent car to get back to Canada.

Not so funny

3539BF82-A013-4A38-8A8A-50B8D79C94E1 (resized).jpegC0FFF243-3A8E-473C-BE76-330134003C3B (resized).jpegD08C244F-6696-43FA-A8CE-CA8FB3B2217F (resized).jpeg

#3 6 months ago

Damn!!! That friggin sucks!

#4 6 months ago

So went to Allentown in 2016 with two of my my close buddies. Before leaving, another buddy of mine gave me a lead on a Gottlieb Spirit which was located near Atlantic City New Jersey. Contacted the seller and told her I was driving to Allentown in a couple of weeks from Canada for the show and she agreed to hold it for me but the Saturday night after the show was the only time she was available for pick up.

The problem I now had was is the fact that she was an older lady and I would need my buddies muscle power to get the game out. These buddies of mine HATE moving pins and would never go for driving another couple hours past Allentown. I had to devise a plan and fast as I didn’t want to loose out on this deal.

So we get to Allentown on Thursday and my buddies are HUGE drinkers. I convince them both to play in the tournament and not to get wasted Thursday night or Friday so they could focus on the tourney and would be better to get absolutely wrecked on the Saturday.

So Saturday rolls along and they have barely drank the whole trip. I tell them at 9am wake up to make up for lost time and begin drinking right away. It doesn’t take much to get these guys motivated to drink. All day long they are pounding back and get completely wrecked. Show is about to close in a few hours and I tell my buddies it’s time to leave and drive back to Canada. As soon as we get rolling they pass out. I head the opposite direction to Atlantic City to grab the game. They wake up just before getting to the woman’s house and realize at that point we are nowhere near home and in fact gone further in the opposite direction. I tell them we are here cause I’m picking up a pin and they are pissed!!! LOL. They end up doing all the labour of moving the game while the lady and I settle payment as they just wanted to get back home ASAP.

To this day, the 3 of us laugh about this hysterically...well me anyways LOL.

#5 6 months ago

I don't know if it meets the road trip criteria since it was only about 45 minutes away from me, but about a year and a half ago I was at work and I got a Facebook alert for a Mousin' Around posted for $550. I message the guy right away and was actually the first person so he says I can have it, the problem was it was a rare day when we had a meeting I couldn't actually miss so I couldn't just take PTO and leave. He said he would hold it for me but he needs to leave at 6pm...no problem...

Of course an hour later I get a message from him that he's got about 50 offers of people offering him double and triple what he's asking (of course) and wants to know what the game is worth. Since I figured I've lost the deal anyway I tell him he's about 1,500 bucks too low assuming its in decent shape. Karma must have been on my side because he tells me that he appreciates me being honest and he needs the game gone so I can have it for $550 still (cheesy bonus!)!

I'm obviously still half convinced this is going to fall apart, so the second I can leave work I drive over to my buddy's house, grab him, and we head off for the 45 minute ride. When we pull up to the address, the word "house" is a pretty generous description of what we saw. It was basically a foundation, slab, a frame, and some wiring. Immediately we are both like "well we're about to get robbed or murdered" when a very large man that can only be described as a biker looking guy on steroids comes out from the "basement" with a beer and cigar. We decide to get out and he kind of head nods/motions towards the "house" and we go in and down the steps to either what will be or what used to be the basement. The game is there with a sheet on it, covered in empty Jack Daniels bottles. He sat down and handed us a tool box and without even turning the game on we broke it down with him watching in silence in what was probably a world speed record but felt like 4 hours of waiting to be kidnapped.

We haul the game up and out and load it up in silence, the whole time wondering if this is even his house or if he was driving by and just started selling stuff out of some abandoned property. After we load it up, my hands are covered in what I hope is dirt. I ask him if I can use the sink really quick. He replies that there isn't any running water (of course there isn't!) but that he is going to have a hot tub put in soon and "get some naked women in there". I wasn't sure if he already had the women lined up or if they would just see the hot tub and show up, but he seemed confident in his plan.

I handed him the cash, covering the money and my pants in the mystery dirt and pulled out. We got home and unloaded the game and it booted up with no problems at all aside from being covered in 15 years of grime. It's since been cleaned up and looks great. The end.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    $ 30.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 9,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 149.00
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    £ 79.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    € 279.00
    $ 149.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 89.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 36.99
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Stuff
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 89.99
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside