IMG_8913 (resized).jpg
IMG_3905 (resized).jpg
IMG_3904 (resized).jpg
20190215_101124 (resized).jpg
20190215_101206 (resized).jpg
20190215_101213 (resized).jpg
IMG_7524 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Working on a gottlieb funland ,got everything to work ,but can't get the ball in play lights or game over lights to work ,cleaned the ball count unit well ,making good contact with rivits ,checked the bulbs ,but no ball in play lights or game over lights ,in fact the bulb that is there just to illuminate the instruction card on that side doesn't work either ,the last ball in play lights in backglass work properly though ,
Any ideas ?
Thanks

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from jdapolito:

in fact the bulb that is there just to illuminate the instruction card on that side doesn't work either

Start with the socket for that bulb. One side of the socket should go directly to one of the general illumination fuses. The other side should go to one of the transformer terminals.

Unplug the game an try to trace both wires back from that bulb to the fuse and transformer. There's an open circuit somewhere. Maybe at the jones plug?

/Mark

#3 5 years ago

Use a voltmeter and see if you have power at the connection shown in this picture. It is the power feed for the ball in play lights that is attached to the Ball Count Unit. If you do, take a jumper wire and attach one end to this connection, and touch each of the connections at the top of the Ball Count Unit. As each is connected, the ball in play lamp should light as you move from one to the other.
Also make sure the wiper on the Ball Count Unit makes perfect contact with each contact as it advances.

IMG_7524 (resized).jpgIMG_7524 (resized).jpg

#4 5 years ago

Ball in play lights are often a problem with the snowshoes on the ball count units.

#5 5 years ago

We're talking about the white wires connected to the lug on the ball count unit right ?
I'll try it and let you know what happens ,thanks

#7 5 years ago

Not sure I'm getting anything from that lead with the voltmeter ,is that a ground ? It is screwed directly to the frame on the ball count unit ,when I use a light bulb touch that lead ( with alligator clips to the base of the bulb and then get another lead from a source with power ,like the 10 amp fuse the bulb lights .
Would this mean the white wires connected to that lug on the ball count unit is good ?
Where does that white wire come from ? And where does the black and white wire that is soldered to the metal base bracket that the ball in play lights sockets are connected to ,go ?
Could be a bad connection in the Jones plug?
Thanks

#8 5 years ago

First, the white lead at the base of the ball count unit is your 6-10 volt power supply for the lamps. The 5 lamp sockets are the same leads that are at the top of the ball count unit.
Do you have an ac volt/ohm meter?
The five sockets are wired through the playfield harness, and run back to the relay/motor board via the jones plug.
Do you have a schematic? If not, order one from Pinball Resource. A must have investment.

#9 5 years ago

Don't have schematic yet,I touched one voltmeter lead to the white wire and another to a ground ,got nothing then because I want sure if I did it right I touched one lead to the white wire and another to a terminal from the transformer and again got nothing ,didn't do this wrong ,also I wondered about that black and white wire soldered to the metal base that holds the sockets because it is the only other thing they all have in comon

#10 5 years ago

Hi,guys also have funland and schems.if you need pic of schem or certain area of it .just say.happy to post it.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballbrian:

you need pic of schem or certain area of it

Please post the 6v. side/area in question. Thanks.

#12 5 years ago

No problem.glad to help.also I noticed with these old machines.ive had to resoldier my main grounds.gottlieb especially.the ends of there wires are dead ( corroded),after 40 years.(newbies keep this in mind)heres pics though.

20190215_101124 (resized).jpg20190215_101124 (resized).jpg20190215_101206 (resized).jpg20190215_101206 (resized).jpg20190215_101213 (resized).jpg20190215_101213 (resized).jpg
#13 5 years ago

Looks like the make/breaks on X and T could be factors. Check for cleanliness and good contact.

#14 5 years ago

Great thanks ,I hope to go at it this weekend

2 months later
#15 5 years ago

Got back to the game finally I have power going to the ball count unit as the last ball in play lights properly ,checked connections to hen I finally removed the bracket holding the light sockets for the ball on play lights .the sockets where very risty inside and out .I sanded them well inside and out and soldered a new ground to watch socket and a jumper wire from the rivit at the base of each socket to it's appropriate wire that eventually connects to the ball count unit .now finally it all works ,should have looks at this first
Thanks for the help

#16 5 years ago

A good lesson learned. We all have been there...

1 week later
#17 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballbrian:

Hi,guys also have funland and schems.if you need pic of schem or certain area of it .just say.happy to post it.

pinballbrian,
Thank you for the offer. I also have a Fun Land project that I am just starting to work on. I wanted to tag along with this thread because I am also in need of some assistance with the ball count unit. It looks like the points / contacts are not aligned correctly. Would you please post pictures of the disc in the clockwise and counter clockwise positions? It looks as if the disk is out of alignment on my machine by about 1/8 of a turn counter clockwise, none of the contacts line up in any of the six (end of game & ball 1-5) positions.
Thank you,
Matt

IMG_3904 (resized).jpgIMG_3904 (resized).jpgIMG_3905 (resized).jpgIMG_3905 (resized).jpg
#18 4 years ago

In the reset position that wiper has to be centered on the first contact.

1 week later
#19 4 years ago

Hi Hazmatt.is ball count unit not aligning up continuously.if so.that is what those three screws are for.see how it has adjustment slots next to sliding fingers..loosen three screws and alighn it to make contact in its final ball position.see of that helps.

#20 4 years ago

Hi Hazmatt.is ball count unit not aligning up continuously.if so.that is what those three screws are for.see how it has adjustment slots next to sliding fingers..loosen three screws and alighn it to make contact in its final ball position.see of that helps.

#21 4 years ago

#22 4 years ago

Sorry post repeated itself 10 times.what happens when you do not want to sell your property,especially to lowballers.they hack your phone among other things.

#23 4 years ago

I have read about loosening the screws to align the contacts. It is too far off, I will have to loosen the set screw on the collar and rotate the whole disc on it's shaft.

#24 4 years ago

Wow.i did not know that could be done.if you do rebuild unit,would you mind posting pics of different steps of rebuild.i never went that far with mine.would be very interested in disassemble and assemble procedure.as other pinsiders also would.im about to finish my game.everything works except score reels resetting on start up.but that's another day.please keep us informed of progress or problem.

#25 4 years ago

Ball count unit. Remove 3 screws holding wiper board, remove spider by loosening the 2 set screws, flip over to remove remaining parts. (For full breakdown and cleaning)

IMG_8913 (resized).jpgIMG_8913 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funland-ball-in-play-lights-don-t-work?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.