• 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pintechev
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

starbase (resized).jpg
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

So other then playing it a bunch on pinball arcade app iI've never played one on location.

As a bigtime fan and former owner of a few Lawlor titles, I am left wondering if it's worth adding or will it be one I bore fast of. Seems to have some nice feeling shots but you can only get so much of a feel without the real thing.

Main concern is no dmd to speak of and it may be a little shallow compared to the newer titles I've previously owned.

My other issue is price but price of the whole hobby seems insane at the moment. Is 4-5 k really a fair price for a nice non restored game?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

#2 6 years ago

I’d say it’s right up there with Whirlwind as far as replay value.

I don’t think I would pay 4500 for one though... That’s more like wishful thinking. A good friend of mine bought an unshopped one that was ok two years ago for 3k. He sold it after 4 months for exactly what he paid for it and bought a NIB Walking Dead.

I would never sell my funhouse. But it has 100K plays on it and where am I ever going to find another one like that?

It’s the game that really brought a lot of imagination and features in to the industry, leading the way for games like TAF and TZ.

#3 6 years ago

The answer is YES

#4 6 years ago

Had one the nicest ones in existence and got bored after a few months even set up very difficult. It has great theme and toy but the gameplay is just ok imo...mainly bc of the lackluster rules. Also 4-5 is pretty high... i didn't have much more than that in my high end restored very modded fh.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

So other then playing it a bunch on pinball arcade app iI've never played one on location.
As a bigtime fan and former owner of a few Lawlor titles, I am left wondering if it's worth adding or will it be one I bore fast of. Seems to have some nice feeling shots but you can only get so much of a feel without the real thing.
Main concern is no dmd to speak of and it may be a little shallow compared to the newer titles I've previously owned.
My other issue is price but price of the whole hobby seems insane at the moment. Is 4-5 k really a fair price for a nice non restored game?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cool theme but gets boring pretty fast. I wouldn't pay more than 3k for a player's machine.

#6 6 years ago

Never understood why this title commands the price that it does. To each there own I suppose but personally I find it rather boring. The mechanical head is a cool feature though.

#7 6 years ago

For Seattle 4.5k sounds about right, unfortunately. I think stylistically it beats Whirlwind like a rented mule and it has a more clean upper flipper shot. And two upper flipper shots, actually. Ruleset is about equally deep, but perhaps another small advantage to Funhouse.

It's one of two legitimately creepy games. Probably the most creepy. Only Circus Voltaire compares.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Never understood why this title commands the price that it does. To each there own I suppose but personally I find it rather boring. The mechanical head is a cool feature though.

This. playing occasionally on a location or at a friends house once a year is more than enough for this title. In a collection of 20-30 games it might have a place, but will get really old really fast in a small collection.

#9 6 years ago

The "hook" on this game for me is the multiball. Using the the upper flipper to fire the ball in the trap door and relighting it again with the ramp shot and repeating .........Is so satisfying!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from McPin54:

The "hook" on this game for me is the multiball. Using the the upper flipper to fire the ball in the trap door and relighting it again with the ramp shot and repeating .........Is so satisfying!

Plus it freaks Rudy out!

#11 6 years ago

Yes, it is worth it..

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from FlashDaddy:

It's one of two legitimately creepy games.

I enjoyed playing the game several times, but it felt like Rudy was always looking at me where ever I was in the room. Creepy Indeed.

#13 6 years ago

If you are a novice to average player, yes..FH is worth having.

If you are better than average, FH gets a bit repetitive...and there are better titles for the money.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Never really understood this. The game is under the glass, not the DMD. And specific to this title, I find that Rudy replaces the DMD, if that makes sense.

Its a great game. Ultra satisfying shots, and the jackpot is very hard to master.

#15 6 years ago

Like a fine wine, this game requires a seasoned taste. The reason this game is so popular is because it was the first game to really "tell the story" through gameplay. It was completely revolutionary when it came out in 1990. Simple to understand, but difficult enough to entertain better players. The challenge on this game comes from the subtleties. Throw in one of the best sound packages in pinball and one hell of a light show and you've got yourself a winner.

#16 6 years ago

I've always liked this game, and it's one of the first games I remember playing. I have just never been able to pull the trigger on one at the price it commands. I probably should've gotten one a few years ago when they were in the low 3's!

#17 6 years ago

Its the one game I want to buy one day. Repairs scare me. I will buy one eventually. One of the few games I can really do well on all aspects of.

#18 6 years ago

FunHouse is an amazing game. I've owned it since 94'. I own 5 Lawlor titles (TAF / WW / ES / TZ / FH). I would be hard pressed to let it go.

#19 6 years ago

It's a great game... to play on location

#20 6 years ago

Every time I get the opportunity to play a nice funhouse, I can’t resist and I usually play it for at least an hour. I have played the game a lot and I still come back I would not hesitate in the least to own one.

BUT, yes the price of this game has gotten a little out of hand, but it’s not the only one, just that market right now. starbase I grew up in Novato

#21 6 years ago

Same here. Anytime I see a Funhouse I have to play it. Even if there are a bunch of other great games in the room I am glued to Funhouse. There is some nostalgia but overall it is just a fun game to play. Simple rules but I am liking those kind of games more and more. I never seem to get tired of it but every game gets old at some point. I really want to own a Funhouse someday. Price does make it tough. That's a lot of cash to cough up. I think it is worth it but frustrating when all the pins I like are very expensive. Same with new pins. Price just goes up and up. Wish I was aggressive in finding one years ago when I got into the hobby.

#22 6 years ago

FH is a great addition to a medium to large collection. FH as your only game doesn't usually last long. I had one I let go a few years ago in a MM trade. I do miss it. There is a God shot in FH that is very cool to hit. It surprises Rudy!

#23 6 years ago

Great game to play on location but it got pretty boring after playing a month or two.

#24 6 years ago

Go for it!

#25 6 years ago

Funhouse was actually not on my top list of games to buy, but my wife's. I ended up grabbing a sample game from some nice dudes in Fremont. It has actually grown to be the favorite in my collection. The theme is timeless, the action/rules are fairly straight forward but that is why I like it. It's a game I can just hop on and just zone in (without having to go on some huge quest)

It's been a while since I have been to PPM, but they had one last time I was there. I bet golden state pinball festival will probably have one (tho check with them once game signups are in)

As others have said, its not just the price of FH, but all pins lately. That being said, when I was on the hunt for mine, I saw lots of options on price (going from players, project to restored).

Good luck.

#26 6 years ago

Thanks all I think it's a bad fit for my incoming 2 pin collection. The one I am looking at needs Rudy "eye" work and just seems like too much price wise. The light show and shots seem fun but I fear I will miss the goal oriented rules of taf and tz. Probably my main reason to get a funhouse is the current pricing on the titles I really want. Yes I want a taf (3rd time)and or tz(hurts to talk about) again guess I am insane.

#27 6 years ago

It's a fun game and was worth owning before prices exploded. If you can find one under 3k go for it, but at 4k and up there's much better titles out there.

#28 6 years ago

Guy wants 4.5k, which to me puts it at a price point that would be hard to sell and break even at this price. So Ill keep my eye out for a cheaper example but here in the bay area I doubt it would come up.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Guy wants 4.5k, which to me puts it at a price point that would be hard to sell and break even at this price. So Ill keep my out for a cheaper example but here in the bay area I doubt it would come up.

yeah, 4.5k (in CA) for a FH that needs rudy repairs is too much IMHO. If its the one on CL, this is at least the 2nd time that dude has listed it in the past year I believe. Rudy's eyes getting stuck will scare most off on CL, if he comes down a bit in the price though I'd grab it, fixing rudy is not a big deal IMHO if your willing to invest a little time/effort.

However, based on your comments, unless you find an inexpensive project FH, other titles might suit you better.

#30 6 years ago

Funhouse was the first pin I owned and I likely will never get rid of it. IMHO there are still some tricky shots to the game and even though you could argue the ruleset is a little shallow, hitting the trapdoor more than once during multiball is still tough for me. My wife totally blew away my high score hitting the trapdoor like 5 times in one multiball.

Be prepared for a little maintenance, as others have mentioned. I have had to replace the jaw gear and just replaced the eyes open/closed solenoids. Not hard at all if you are comfortable soldering. The other issue very common with FH is most have bubbled mylar, especially around the clock and gangway inserts.

#31 6 years ago

Are any parts in Rudy unobtanium? I've seen other Funhouse games that needed Rudy repairs. Looks like a lot of parts/gears in there so just wondering what one should look for if getting a game that needs work.

#32 6 years ago

Absolutely NOT!! Uh, where did you say this was for sale again... Yeah can you give me his number? Oh, no reason...

4-5k does seem high - real low 4 is reasonable where I live (DC) for a good-not-perfect condition game

#33 6 years ago

I thought Starbase was dead

FH is a timeless classic. Not deep as you mentioned, but deep games aren't the only good ones. I picked up a 2nd hand 2010 HEP a few years ago and am very happy with it. It cost a lot more than 4-5k naturally.

#34 6 years ago

I've owned it before and had the opportunity to buy a nice one at a great price that I passed on to a friend. My answer is no. Just not enough going on in a home environment to stay fun. I think Whirlwind is a 1000x better game personally.

#35 6 years ago

Funhouse is getting harder to acquire every day. The nicer ones dont come up very often and will cost $7k.
If you had any desire to get this game, I would try to get it if the price is sorta fair.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Funhouse is getting harder to acquire every day. The nicer ones dont come up very often and will cost $7k.
If you had any desire to get this game, I would try to get it if the price is sorta fair.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I thought Starbase was dead
FH is a timeless classic. Not deep as you mentioned, but deep games aren't the only good ones. I picked up a 2nd hand 2010 HEP a few years ago and am very happy with it. It cost a lot more than 4-5k naturally.

"Sir we can rebuild Starbase but he seems to have lost his pinball collection and his sanity because he is back posting on pinside."

I am not back, just have a deposit on a new stern and hunting for my second title because you know I am bit crazy. 2 pin limit I promise.

Let me know if you want to sell that nice tz turbo.

Regarding funhouse,yes local one on craigslist. Seems like it would clean up nice but pics are so poor and owner seems to not be any rush to give me a playfield pic. I want to say its too much but it seems not out of line with pricing in the bay area. Just looks like a ton of hours to make it play and look right.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

FunHouse is an amazing game. I've owned it since 94'. I own 5 Lawlor titles (TAF / WW / ES / TZ / FH). I would be hard pressed to let it go.

I’d love to see how you rank them from best to least best...

#40 6 years ago

I remember when I first played Funhouse. Rudy blew me away, and once I noticed that the eyes follow the ball around, and that he "names" each player and keeps the names consistent throughout the game, I liked it even more. The game brims with personality and soul. That's all fine and good, but once you remove the allure of Rudy, the game is pretty lackluster. I feel like it's a bit shallow. A one trick pony. I can see why it's collectable, but I'd never spend the money people are asking for it these days.

That being said, I've always preferred Whirlwind. It may not have the allure Rudy has, but gameplay-wise, I think it's a superior experience.

#41 6 years ago

The GOAT! If I could only have one game it would be this. Just never gets old for me.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im so glad this isn’t true. Haha

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Heh - almost the same here - TAF/WW/Banzai/TZ/FH. I’ve owned all of those except WW since the 90s as well.

I absolutely love FH - putting Rudy to sleep and then cramming a ball down his snotty mouth never.gets.old.

#43 6 years ago

it's a classic for a reason.

#44 6 years ago

Yes, Funhouse is worth owning. Absolute classic.

#45 6 years ago

Pricing is getting a little steep, but I love FH. The music, Rudy's callouts, lightshow, etc.

#46 6 years ago

yep
boston pinball has em over $4200 and pinside $3900 for average. and in person auctions ive seen em sell over 4k easily and not be anything but normal not restored.
its another title that keeps climbing.

#47 6 years ago

All time classic !
I've owned 2, sold them over the years. Bought my third and it's never leaving. Whole family loves this one.

#48 6 years ago

I prefer modern deep rule games and I'm still a sucker for funhouse. It's not a nostalgia thing and the game creeped me out for a long time. Sideways jackpots while cradling on the right flipper for the win.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

I am not back, just have a deposit on a new stern and hunting for my second title because you know I am bit crazy. 2 pin limit I promise.

starbase (resized).jpgstarbase (resized).jpg

#50 6 years ago

they made thousands of funhouses. they are out there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Boards
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-worth-owning?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.