• 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pintechev
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

starbase (resized).jpg

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I’d love to see how you rank them from best to least best...

WOW... that is a difficult challenge; These games are some of my all time favs. But, I'll try to put them in top 5 order (scale 1-10);
TZ 9.8
TAF 9.7
WW / FH (tied) 9.5
ES 9.3

#52 5 years ago

My favorite game of all time. In early 1990, while I was a freshman in college, I still remember the guy who routed all of the pins and video games in our study lounge, rolling in a brand new Funhouse. I patiently waited while he set it up. When he was done, he put a few service credits in it and told me to have at it. Over the next 4 years, I put so many quarters into that thing, that I probably could have just bought one. Years later, after it was removed from the college, I ran into the guy who routed the games and he told me the bar that it was then located at. Got to play that same machine a few more times, but it got pretty worn down over the years.

In 1997, bought my first Funhouse for $800. Several years later, was able to upgrade to a nicer one. Finally was able to upgrade to a HUO game. This game will never leave me. I've played Funhouse thousands and thousands of times and it's still my favorite game. Yes, rule wise it's not as deep as the new games, but I just never get sick of it. Yes, I think it's worth owning.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Never understood why this title commands the price that it does. To each there own I suppose but personally I find it rather boring. The mechanical head is a cool feature though.

I couldnt have said it better !
I have a Hep like restored game,its one of the nicest restored games I own Its stunning. I cant part with it but I have to say for me its ok,love to see it remade with a dmd in color,bigger screen ?

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Never understood why this title commands the price that it does. To each there own I suppose but personally I find it rather boring. The mechanical head is a cool feature though.

I couldnt have said it better !
I have a Hep like restored game,its one of the nicest restored games I own Its stunning. I cant part with it but I have to say for me its ok,love to see it remade with a dmd added in color,bigger screen ?

#55 5 years ago

waaay overpriced game. i think whirlwind and roadshow are both better games if you're looking for a classic game without a crazy- pricetag.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

waaay overpriced game. i think whirlwind and roadshow are both better games if you're looking for a classic game without a crazy- pricetag.

Whirlwind is great. I really wanted to love Roadshow - two heads are better than one, right? The playfield layout is great, but that's about where it stops for me. The main issue I have is the linear ruleset where you ALWAYS play one of the same two modes first. Also, the creepy rudeness of Rudy is gone and replaced by two goofy construction workers with southern accents. A country music song from the 90's (Carlene Carter - also the voice of Red) actually plays during multiball.

Is Roadshow a bad game? - no. Is it anywhere in the same league as Funhouse? - not even close.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Whirlwind is great. I really wanted to love Roadshow - two heads are better than one, right? The playfield layout is great, but that's about where it stops for me. The main issue I have is the linear ruleset where you ALWAYS play one of the same two modes first. Also, the creepy rudeness of Rudy is gone and replaced by two goofy construction workers with southern accents. A country music song from the 90's (Carlene Carter - also the voice of Red) actually plays during multiball.
Is Roadshow a bad game? - no. Is it anywhere in the same league as Funhouse? - not even close.

Totally agree. Roadshow didn’t stay long. Because of the linear ruleset. New York and Miami everytime. There are some cool shots and the country stuff never bothered me, but playing the same cities time after time got old quick. I’d say that game really soured me on Pat Lawlor as a designer for years. I’ve come back around, though, after picking up my second Whirlwind. Also grabbed a TZ. I appreciate his designs much more now. But roadshow was brutally linear. If Rudy wouldn’t creep out the kids and it was cheaper, I might be inclined to pick one up. Passed on a HUO FH for $3500 early in my collecting days to spare the kids of nightmares! Haha!

#58 5 years ago

Play a Funhouse with a brand new Mirco playfield installed and you'll find it plays extremely fast and keeps your interest longer. I love mine.

#59 5 years ago

When we first got Funhouse in 94', it was placed in the spare bedroom, directly across from my 8 yr old son's bedroom. He made us close the game room door every night, because Rudy was looking at him.

#60 5 years ago

Sort of want this game, want to play it and want to fix it. Not sure about the keep it part because I am terrible at that.

But man 4.5 is a tough pill to swallow.

#61 5 years ago

For the hefty price tag of a funhouse you could get a decent fish tales with lots of $ to spare totally different game, but it’s a blast and amazing music

#62 5 years ago

Funhouse is a decent game, but you are paying a large premium for the theme. Just like Bad Cats.

#63 5 years ago

I have been looking for a Fun House, the game the op linked to this thread, for some time, and I get the feeling there are probably less than 10, if that, in existence.

So yes, if you can find one that is salvageable, it is probably worth owning if not just for the collect ability factor.

#64 5 years ago

Torn over this, so many other newish stern pro models in the 5k range. For example a metalicca pro, I had the LE on early code and played it on location and loved it.

But then it's PL his shots are always the feel good kind and it could be a keeper as Kerry and others have mentioned. Love it on pinball arcade.

Only older pin I really have interest in is MMr and those go for double this.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

So other then playing it a bunch on pinball arcade app iI've never played one on location.
As a bigtime fan and former owner of a few Lawlor titles, I am left wondering if it's worth adding or will it be one I bore fast of. Seems to have some nice feeling shots but you can only get so much of a feel without the real thing.
Main concern is no dmd to speak of and it may be a little shallow compared to the newer titles I've previously owned.
My other issue is price but price of the whole hobby seems insane at the moment. Is 4-5 k really a fair price for a nice non restored game?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Yes.

No.

Maybe...depends.

Probably a bit high.

You're welcome!

#66 5 years ago

I would just get it, shine it up a bit, and when or if you get tired of it, sell if for the $6500 (shopped )like everyone else.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Torn over this, so many other newish stern pro models in the 5k range. For example a metalicca pro, I had the LE on early code and played it on location and loved it.
But then it's PL his shots are always the feel good kind and it could be a keeper as Kerry and others have mentioned. Love it on pinball arcade.
Only older pin I really have interest in is MMr and those go for double this.

Theres a nice one for sale here for 4200 which is fair bc it has a nice playfield and cab. To bad your about as far from it as u possibly cld be lol.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Theres a nice one for sale here for 4200 which is fair bc it has a nice playfield and cab. To bad your about as far from it as u possibly cld be lol.

What's shipping now, $400-$500?

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

What's shipping now, $400-$500?

Or more bc it b from mass to ca....

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Or more bc it b from mass to ca....

More than that would kill the deal, I'd rather see it in person anyway.

These prices sound a little high to me, but I bought mine 6 years ago and haven't calculated what I've spent on a playfield swap and full mechanical rebuild. I love the game, but it's very nostalgic for me so I have a hard time not letting that affect my opinion of the game. It was just so different when it came out. It doesn't have a ton of things to do, but the things to do are a lot of fun and have satisfying shots.

#71 5 years ago

I love Funhouse! Clearcoated mine and got new ramps and plastics. Really want to add mirrorblades.

#72 5 years ago

You haven't lived until you start multiball on FH, you hit the trapdoor for jackpot with the first ball kicked out from the Hidden Hallway, meanwhile the ball Rudy spat out bounces just right and you make the ramp with it to reopen the trapdoor, whereupon you hit the jackpot again with the second ball kicked out, making Rudy scream twice inside of a few seconds!

Another game I hit the jackpot six times in one multiball. I was like, how will I ever do that again? I then proceeded to hit it SEVEN times the next multiball! High score!

#73 5 years ago

This is a slippery slope. You could get a newer Stern for the price. The gameplay is very repetitive, but multiball is fun. I'd rather a newer Stern or a few early solid states for the money, with much better replay value. You could get a Meteor, Stars, and a Sorcerer or a Blackout for the cost of a Funhouse

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Funhouse was actually not on my top list of games to buy, but my wife's. I ended up grabbing a sample game from some nice dudes in Fremont. It has actually grown to be the favorite in my collection. The theme is timeless, the action/rules are fairly straight forward but that is why I like it. It's a game I can just hop on and just zone in (without having to go on some huge quest)
It's been a while since I have been to PPM, but they had one last time I was there. I bet golden state pinball festival will probably have one (tho check with them once game signups are in)
As others have said, its not just the price of FH, but all pins lately. That being said, when I was on the hunt for mine, I saw lots of options on price (going from players, project to restored).
Good luck.

There will be one at the show. Check out the "Bring Games" page out at goldenstatepinball.org and there is a nice search feature that makes it easy to verify titles that will be coming.

#75 5 years ago

Yes it's a classic. My neighbor restored his, wow it looks and plays great.

#76 5 years ago

Mine does have some scuffs on the head. Might head down to Lowe’s today because I have the blue paint code (thanks Pinside).

Machine - For Sale
FunHouse Archived
Partially shopped/refurbished - “Recently picked this up from another Pinsider but have had a change of heart. Game looks great and shoots great. Listing for same price I bought it. Feel free to try before you buy...”
2018-04-04
Cumberland, RI
4,200 (OBO)
Archived after: 8 days
Viewed: 911 times

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Sort of want this game, want to play it and want to fix it. Not sure about the keep it part because I am terrible at that.
But man 4.5 is a tough pill to swallow.

At 4500 it should look sweet and play perfect. Otherwise it’s way way overpriced.

Owned one, traded it for a Congo.

Wouldn’t own again.

#78 5 years ago

Rudy has a permanent residence in my home.

#79 5 years ago

Mine is a keeper and isn't going anywhere.

The people who claim Funhouse is overpriced, are the same ones who would pay twice as much if it were on the remake list!

#80 5 years ago

Still waiting on owner to get back to me on a pickup date but knowing me I will buy it if its nice.

I just keep thinking this might be a keeper for me. Never had a system 11 so this is all sort of exciting.

Wife thinks Rudy may be a bit much for our 2 year old girl but I told her not to worry "I'm not buying it for her".

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Still waiting on owner to get back to me on a pickup date but knowing me I will buy it if its nice.
I just keep thinking this might be a keeper for me. Never had a system 11 so this is all sort of exciting.
Wife thinks Rudy may be a bit much for our 2 year old girl but I told her not to worry "I'm not buying it for her".

Funhouse is wpc, although it looks like a system 11.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Funhouse is wpc, although it looks like a system 11.

Yay more pinball knowledge.

#83 5 years ago

funhouse was the second pin i got, still have it. really depends on your lineup. in a small lineup it may grow old, like any pin could. bigger lineup it will last longer. when i first got it, i played it for hours at a time. now, i am done with it after a few games. still love it though!

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

funhouse was the second pin i got, still have it. really depends on your lineup. in a small lineup it may grow old, like any pin could. bigger lineup it will last longer. when i first got it, i played it for hours at a time. now, i am done with it after a few games. still love it though!

Its currently a collection of zero and I have space for 2-4 games. Was thinking of getting a newer stern and a older Williams I've never owned. Seems like its a 50-50 split of people who bore fast and others who say Rudy must stay forever.

I am hoping its like Taf in terms of enjoyment. I've owned it twice and would love to bring it back but pricing is just insane on that title so Funhouse is my cheaper Lawlor replacement.

#85 5 years ago

I love Funhouse. Ive had 3 of them and currently have 1.

I dont think ill ever part with it. People are drawn to it.

#86 5 years ago

Well a WW came up for sale and going to check that out as well.

Funhouse and WW seems redundant.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Both amazing Pat Lawlor games. You wouldn't be dissapointed in either.

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Well a WW came up for sale and going to check that out as well.

Ww is much better than fh imo and its much cheaper ....

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

FH is my 3yr and 5yr olds favorite game

#90 5 years ago

It’s just an okay game for me but my wife and family all seem to gravitate towards it when they come over.

#91 5 years ago

Some say it’s great, some say it’s not. You just have to experience it your self to see if you like it or not. Just buy it, have fun with it for some time, then sell it. It’s not that hard.

#92 5 years ago

FH was my first game way back in 03. Absolutely my favorite game. It was stored for many years in my grandma's basement, and got a ton of play from family. I finally was able to bring it in with the herd, and I still play it every day. Love the theme, the shots are classic, and Rudy.

Rudy. He got me into pinball. Way back when it came out my only goal was to put him to sleep. I wasn't good, so more often than not I didn't get there. Still pumped money in.

It's my favorite, and will be restored soon. Last game to ever leave will be FH.

#93 5 years ago

It takes some special magic to make this list. I consider them to be the masterpiece designs in the solid state pinball industry. Best all time? Not necessarily. Industry changing? Certainly.

Eight Ball Deluxe
High Speed
Funhouse
TAF
AFM
LOTR
Metallica

#94 5 years ago

I bought a junk FH and played it all the time. I restored it with everything new and I never play it. I don't like the way the cleared PF plays on that crowded PF. I would sell it if I could get good money for it but I would love to trade it for a prototype in good condition or one in good original condition.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

mainly bc of the lackluster rules

The rules are there for 1990... It's just way too risky to go for a lot of the shots in the rules.

It's no different than TOM or TOTAN or CV. Great depth but if you are just going for pure score, the rules kind of get in the way. Huge Funhouse scores tend to come from very long ball times.

#96 5 years ago

People who possess a sense of whimsy love it. For them, that aspect never grows old, so neither does the game.

People who do not, don't.

Whoa, that seems profound, right? I think I nailed it.

Myself, I'm on the Twisted end of Whimsical. Even TFTC's Cryptkeeper's laugh would never get old for me.

#97 5 years ago

Starbase, welcome back!!! My best advice is to reach out to pinball league players and any locals you sold to asking them if they know of a fh forsale. You will find a better condition and better price than the local one on cl. Just be patient. You did me a solid years ago and I dont want you burned or ripped off. The group from the east bay, San Fran, Solano and Sac pin group are great resources and just good peeps.
Harley D.

#98 5 years ago

I have Mmr. And just traded my STTNG for a funhouse and xenon. Don't regret it one bit.
Funhouse is a great game. Definitely in my top 10.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

The rules are there for 1990... It's just way too risky to go for a lot of the shots in the rules.
It's no different than TOM or TOTAN or CV. Great depth but if you are just going for pure score, the rules kind of get in the way. Huge Funhouse scores tend to come from very long ball times.

Had my highest game tonight in a LONG time: 73mil and change. Maybe a half hour game?

I've been really working on setting up a frenzy or super frenzy before starting multiball, and I'm getting better at it.

Also: Funhouse led the way in the sudden love of 'interactive toys' on the pf. Williams REALLY nailed it. Yeah, lots of games had spinners and such, but a talking interactive head? Unreal in those days. Rudy got me HOOKED right away, and that addiction still exists

Imma go play right now.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

People who possess a sense of whimsy love it. For them, that aspect never grows old, so neither does the game.
People who do not, don't.
Whoa, that seems profound, right? I think I nailed it.
Myself, I'm on the Twisted end of Whimsical. Even TFTC's Cryptkeeper's laugh would never get old for me.

I think you nailed it, too. There are plenty of games with much more code and features but lacks personality. These games just start to feel the same and nothing memorable. There is just something about these older simpler games where code was simple so developers really focused on details. I was not really into pinball back in the day. I worked at some arcades and would play a little pinball mostly because I could for free. If I was putting quarters in a machine, it was going to be a video game. Still, some of the pins from the 80s and early 90s really stuck with me. Funhouse was one of them. Love the creepy, weird thing going on with a talking dummy head. Even if you never play it, it would just be a cool thing to have.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-worth-owning/page/2?hl=mizary and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.