• Latest reply 5 years ago by Zablon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2654 (resized).JPG

#1 5 years ago

Been sitting for some time (year or more) and worked 100% and came down to play it with it not booting when powered on. Just a hissing sound from speakers. All LED's are on besides LED3 on Power board. Check all fuses and all check out.
Here are the numbers I got from test points.

TP3 11.85
TP2 5.13
TP1 12.79
TP8 18.36
TP6 75.2
TP7 22.2

Any other areas to check? Would like to find root cause before i take out the boards and send them in.

#2 5 years ago

Did the batteries leak alkaline while it was sitting? If so, could be the culprit.

#3 5 years ago

I'd reseat all of the connectors especially the ribbon cables. Just pull 1/2 way up on each and push back down. No need to remove completely.

#4 5 years ago

Rudy is probably just upset you haven't played with him for over a year.

#5 5 years ago

I just posted a few seconds ago about issues with my Funhouse.. must be the night for it. Sorry I can't offer suggestions but I will trade your TP2 voltage (5.13) for mine (4.9) in exchange for the boot up.

Dave

#6 5 years ago

Reconnected all pins/ribbons in backboard. No luck. Pulled all fuses to test for connectivity and all good, except I busted a cap off one of them (F105). New batteries I put in within last few months and no corrosion at all.

Any other ideas?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7 5 years ago
#8 5 years ago

D19 is solid, D20 never comes on, D21 stays on.

#9 5 years ago

Found corrosion on the CPU board.

IMG_2654 (resized).JPGIMG_2654 (resized).JPG
#10 5 years ago

Sending CPU board into Clive. Going to also send in Power board and sound board while I am at it.

#11 5 years ago

Yeah, when my NGG started not booting in the middle of last year, I eventually tracked it down to a bad MPU board due to battery corrosion. The batteries only get used when the machine is powered off. The longer your machine is powered off, the more often you’ll need to change the batteries. That was new information to me at the time.

Battery corrosion is an insidious issue that’s difficult to immediately diagnose and it starts causing all sorts of crazy seemingly unrelated issues, when in fact, they’re all related. The machine usually starts exhibiting some odd error/behavior as the corrosion expands and results in an eventual total shutdown. My battery corrosion was not visible until I pulled the board and inspected the back of the board.

I wound up replacing the board (w/ ASIC chip), transferred over the processor, ROM, and security chips and it’s been solid ever since. On the new board I installed the external battery compartment. I now use lithium AA batteries (not supposed to ever leak), not alkaline.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-good-gofers-test-mode-function-buttons-not-working#post-4502288

#12 5 years ago

While you have the board sent out you should have him just add an NVRAM chip to it then you won't have to worry about batteries. They are only $15-20. It's a bit of a pain to install on this board because the traces are so small so I don't suggest doing it yourself unless you are really comfortable with soldering. In the end though it is very much worth it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-won-t-boot?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.