Funhouse wayyyy to loud

By hocuslocus

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I just got a funhouse that was pretty cheap by today's standards, When I went to the guys house there were two things that he didn't let me know before I drove close to 3 hours to get there (probably wouldn't of stopped me anyway). The outhole coil wasn't working and the sound didn't turn down. he said hadn't turned it on in a while, and seemed pretty suprised that it was acting up (his kid said they had an electrical surge that blew out a few tv's in the house a month back/ not sure if it's related).

fixed the outhole coil by replacing a fried transistor. Had to do a little reading on the sound issue, all I could find was that it would be a good idea to recap the sound board. I ordered the correct cap's from digikey and newark, I'm hoping that will solve the issue. but since I've never dealt with anything like this before I was hoping someone else had some insight on what else to look at. I cleaned and reseated the sound roms. (guess I could re-burn them). to clarify the issue when you turn the game on the sound is on full blast and when you try to turn it down it stays at the same loud volume. Guessing the pot (wherever that is) could be bad.
really dirty also but plays great, just have to unplug the speakers from the sound board otherwise I risk blowing out my eardrums.

#2 6 years ago

Maybe the minimum sound has kicked in?

There is an over ride for minimum volume in the settings.

The machine will revert to a minimum volume setting i it loses battery backup.

This was to prevent site owners from turning the sound completely off back in the day.

#3 6 years ago

If the cpu board batteries have failed, the factory default settings are automatically loaded (volume is loud).

Go into menu -> Adjustments -> Standard Adjustments -> setting 28 "Minimum Volume Override" and set it to YES.

Now you should be able to turn the sound all the way down to zero if desired.

#4 6 years ago

ahhh... ok, I also forgot to mention the batteries really don't do anything. the rom always resets back to factory default settings. I tried installing batteries into the battery holder and it didn't retain any values. so I took the batteries back out and the bottom of one of the clips came with it. so I ordered another battery holder as well. wouldn't of guessed that would fix the issue, Just assumed the batteries were so the rom could retain the values with the power off.

guess I've never tried turning the volume down on any other game with the batteries out. yeah, I already tried the minimum volume override, the sound is turned all the way down to nothing and it's still super loud.

#5 6 years ago

Probably the contact rivets in the old battery holder have fallen apart - very common.

Best to measure the voltage with a meter to be certain.

You should also be getting the battery box OFF the board to avoid future corrosion issues.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

all the way down to nothing and it's still super loud.

Are you sure no battery damage on the CPU ? It gets the diagnostic stuff first. Like you + or - for volume.

LTG : )

#7 6 years ago

the cpu board has no damage that I could see I checked both sides. The power driver board on the other hand has had extensive work done to it, but I don't think that's where the issue lies.

#8 6 years ago

Would you want to bring your MPU over to my house so I can install NVRAM for you? I live about 25 minutes away from Einstein's just north on Hwy 6. We also test out the sound board too. Is the music at the same volume as the other sounds in the game?

#9 6 years ago

Battery holder: No...take advantage of PinballManiac40's offer or otherwise install an NVRAM. If you do the work yourself, be very, very careful. Traces and through holes are delicate. And, I've had a lot of boards with 62256 RAM installed. You'll need to remove the jumper and install R93 (1.5K, 1/4W resistor).

Sound way too loud: If the sound is full blast and you are unable to adjust it, then almost certainly the X9C503 digital POT on the sound board has failed. I see that fairly often these days. Again...be careful if you attempt that repair yourself.

LMK if I can help (see contact line below) or again, contact PinballManiac.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#10 6 years ago

I have installed over 130 NVRAM, if that helps to make a decision.

#11 6 years ago

yeah, I've installed one in CP. was kinda of a pain, but not horrible. mainly since one of the traces lifted. going to check it out today and I'll get back with you. thank you for the offers.

#12 6 years ago

I have 20 NVRAM here if you want to stop by and pick a couple of them up and play some games.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I have 20 NVRAM here if you want to stop by and pick a couple of them up and play some games.

I actually bought two a while back. Just installed the second one in funhouse, ( bought a pace solder pump a couple months back, finally got a chance to see what it can do. Think I'm in love).
sadly, this did not solve the loudness issue. The game is no longer resetting to factory defaults every time. It would be cool to check out your collection some time though.

to answer you other question about the loudness, since I've never actually played anything other then the virtual pin version, I'm going to guess and say it seems like everything is the same loudness.

#14 6 years ago

Then the X9C503 digital POT on the sound board will be the next thing to go after, juat as Chris suggests. I actually just purchased a few from mouser.com today and should have them Tuesday.

#15 6 years ago

ok, yeah I was curious and checked out the sound board schematic. really hoping that that's the issue.
I really appreciate the help from everyone. let me know about the pot.

thanks again.

#16 6 years ago

I tend to think the batteries leaked and corroded the legs of one of the chips under the battery holder. That will cause the test buttons to become inoperative and allow the sound to become very loud. I have seen that multiple times. Can you use the test buttons to go through the menus? If not, its the MPU board.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I tend to think the batteries leaked and corroded the legs of one of the chips under the battery holder. That will cause the test buttons to become inoperative and allow the sound to become very loud. I have seen that multiple times. Can you use the test buttons to go through the menus? If not, its the MPU board.

yup, the buttons work fine. the batteries weren't even in the game when I received it. there was very very minor damage on the top side of one of the battery terminal holes. I've already removed the old battery holder and cleaned up the area. now you were be hard pressed to find any corrosive damage. think it was mainly on the leg of the battery clip that broke off in the board.

#18 6 years ago

The digital pots will arrive tomorrow. I am free after 7:30 tomorrow and likely any time on Friday as I should be off. I hope one of those 2 days you have some free time to stop by with your sound board.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

I just got a funhouse that was pretty cheap by today's standards, When I went to the guys house there were two things that he didn't let me know before I drove close to 3 hours to get there (probably wouldn't of stopped me anyway). The outhole coil wasn't working and the sound didn't turn down. he said hadn't turned it on in a while, and seemed pretty suprised that it was acting up (his kid said they had an electrical surge that blew out a few tv's in the house a month back/ not sure if it's related).
fixed the outhole coil by replacing a fried transistor. Had to do a little reading on the sound issue, all I could find was that it would be a good idea to recap the sound board. I ordered the correct cap's from digikey and newark, I'm hoping that will solve the issue. but since I've never dealt with anything like this before I was hoping someone else had some insight on what else to look at. I cleaned and reseated the sound roms. (guess I could re-burn them). to clarify the issue when you turn the game on the sound is on full blast and when you try to turn it down it stays at the same loud volume. Guessing the pot (wherever that is) could be bad.
really dirty also but plays great, just have to unplug the speakers from the sound board otherwise I risk blowing out my eardrums.

If it a sample game then the volume control is in the cabinet on the left. It is a little white knob You know if it is a sample game by the thicker metal side rails and the start button that sticks out from the cabinet rather than flush with the cabinet.

#20 6 years ago

yeah, I went ahead and ordered some the same day you all suggested it, since I needed to grab a few other items. I'm sure this won't be the last time I'll run into an issue like that. I think they came in on tuesday, replaced it and everything works like it should. I just added led's, there are a few ghosting ones, but I think that's because there are a few transistors that are leaking current which needed to be replaced. I have the same issue on my RFM, can't seem to get that one working correctly though.

thank you all for your help, very much appreciated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-wayyyy-to-loud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.