• 112 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is it redundant to have both FH and Tron in the same collection?”

• They both play and look completely different. You won't even notice that the layout is the same. 55 votes
    34%
  • You'll notice that the layout is the same, but the games are so different it won't matter. 41 votes
    25%
  • You screwed up, Boob! Now you essentially own two Funhouses. 8 votes
    5%
  • I like cheese. 59 votes
    36%

(163 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

congo_tron_(resized).png
tron_vs_funhouse_(resized).jpg
index_(resized).jpg
CheeseWhiz_(resized).jpg
13119854_1746538142231827_8891305890387704465_o_(resized).jpg
13131658_1746531585565816_4927011061410616839_o_(resized).jpg
kangarandy_(resized).jpg
rudolph_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
th_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image-4_(resized).jpg
Backglass_(resized).jpg

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

NOTE: Title changed so as not to offend those who just have WAY too much free time to think about stupid stuff like thread titles...

So, I bought a Tron, which I'm really excited about. But--for anybody paying attention here on Pinside--you also know that I restored a Funhouse last year, which I also enjoy playing a lot.

I just came across another thread where the layouts of FH and Tron are placed side-by-side and are nearly identical.

So here's my question to Pinside: For you guys with extensive experience on both machines (or perhaps you own both), how much do they feel like the same game due to the layouts? Or do you not even notice it when you're playing.

Excited for Tron either way...and who knows? I might have a FH for sale soon.

Thanks for your thoughts, kids!

#2 3 years ago

Never felt anything alike to me

#3 3 years ago

I own 4 games with nearly identical layouts. AC/DC, LOTR, TF and RFM. same cookie cutter fan pattern bullshit. all of them. Luckily the rules are so different from one another, that they do not play the same at all.

RFM mode based, story driven, awesome holograms.
AC/DC risk reward build up, fast piss you off action
TF chopping wood. Build yourself up, setup your multiballs, get ready to cash in on points or pissed off at the difficulty
LOTR long long games with a long journey through the rules. could today be the day to see valinor? Probably not. Maybe next year.

#4 3 years ago

Tron's layout is a lot closer to Congo's than it is to Funhouse's.

#5 3 years ago

The layouts are roughly similar when you overlay them on the net but I don't think they are the same at all, they absolutely play nothing alike at all.

I voted for I like cheese since it was the most accurate poll option for me.

#6 3 years ago

Don;t play alike. What you have is a pretty standard Lawlor layout, and a pretty standard Borg ripping off Lawlor layout.
Nothing new, none of any of them seems too alike to me.

#7 3 years ago

I had both. Tron moved on a few months ago. Never saw the similarity at all . Enjoy Tron. It got old for me and Funhouse will never be in that category.

By the way , How was the Summer Ale?

#8 3 years ago

The rules are different enough that I think it's fair to keep both, so long as you've got more than 2 games total.

I chose "I like cheese" in the poll, because I frankly care far more about cheese than I do about pretty much any pin.

#9 3 years ago

I prefer Fun House myself.

Backglass_(resized).jpg

#10 3 years ago

Go cheese!

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I prefer Fun House myself.

Ah!....I can always count on you to bring the slow, boring games into the discussion.

#12 3 years ago

Funhouse is a great game.
Tron is a game made by Stern.

#13 3 years ago

Fun House was made by both Williams and Stern.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

In that case, I'd like to offer you 2k for your TSPP.

Quoted from o-din:

Fun House was made by both Williams and Stern.

Stop it.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

In that case, I'd like to offer you 2k for your TSPP.

Offer rejected! TSPP is one of the best pinball games ever made. Not sure how that happened, but it did, and I'm OK with that.

#16 3 years ago

Fun House has a unique layout that is unlike the other two. It also has three trap doors as opposed to Funhouse's one.

image-4_(resized).jpg

#17 3 years ago

Cheese is really starting pull away with this one.

image_(resized).jpeg

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I can always count on you to bring the slow, boring games into the discussion.

I take it you've never played any 54 volt Williams games from the 50s.

You shouldn't have any discussion that mentions the sequel Funhouse without mentioning the original.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I own 4 games with nearly identical layouts. AC/DC, LOTR, TF and RFM. same cookie cutter fan pattern bullshit.

Just love this quote. Enjoy both boob, time to cut some cheese.

#20 3 years ago

tron is wayyyyyyyyy faster. funhouse has too much stop and go. it was fun for a while, theme is awesome but it's a goner. i dont see it happening with tron it's just too cool and immersive.

#21 3 years ago

Tron is like blue cheese.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Tron is like blue cheese.

I like Tron and blue cheese.

#23 3 years ago

I would never buy Tron. It stinks.

#24 3 years ago

I have a Tron and I've had a Funhouse. Similar layout, but they don't feel even remotely like the same game.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

You suck.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

My Tron smelled good! Like a brand new LE should.

Now this stuff is a different story.

th_(resized).jpg

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I totally disagree with what you're implying. But it did make me laugh. Nice jab! lol

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My Tron smelled good! Like a brand new LE should.

It still smells new by the way and still plays and looks new

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

It still smells new by the way and still plays and looks new

I'm glad! It was one sweet machine and I took good care of it. I just got a wild hair and inquired about another one close by. Dumping all my mutual funds last week left me with a little extra cash. But it's tentatively sold already.

#30 3 years ago

Tron LE is the game I am chasing right now. Really want one but damn it's gonna cost me some coin.

#31 3 years ago

There is a ban on Tron VS. threads while Centerflank is on Sabbatical.

#32 3 years ago

They are nothing alike when you are controlling the flippers. That was a crazy argument. It doesn't matter that the geometry is similar, they play nothing alike.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

There is a ban on Tron VS. threads while Centerflank is on Sabbatical.

I know. That's why I started it.

Quoted from DaveH:

They are nothing alike when you are controlling the flippers. That was a crazy argument. It doesn't matter that the geometry is similar, they play nothing alike.

It wasn't an argument. It was a valid question.

#34 3 years ago

They definitely don't play the same....cheese is my vote, you will enjoy TRON....I had to get the LE....never leaving...

#35 3 years ago

I own a TRON and would like to own a Funhouse. Layouts do not define how a pin plays. They are not the "same" game at all. Players who hate on either one have crappy taste. Does that help?

Edit: Cheese rules! I especially like aged gouda, aged cheeses in the parmesan family, and a good (cold or warm) brie from time to time.

#36 3 years ago

Both great games, dnt like tron that much tho and I prefer fun house, a great non dmd pin that set the standerd for today's games with lot of similar playfields

#37 3 years ago

I like Tron and really don't care for Funhouse.....but that's just me.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It wasn't an argument. It was a valid question.

I didn't mean you Boob, I meant back when Tron came out that was an argument against it. I'd never pick a fight with you so close to Pintastic

#39 3 years ago

Funhouse has better toys, better music and a much more coherent ruleset. I'd love to get one. No way I would consider buying Tron.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I didn't mean you Boob, I meant back when Tron came out that was an argument against it. I'd never pick a fight with you so close to Pintastic

I'd love you either way. Some of my biggest detractors are also my closest friends.

Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Funhouse has better toys, better music and a much more coherent ruleset. I'd love to get one. No way I would consider buying Tron.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Well he does have a point. Rudy is just iconic and ads a mood to the game you just don't get with most recent games.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'd love you either way. Some of my biggest detractors are also my closest friends.

dont fret beelzepud. giraffes, elephants and bears being beaten into "riding" bicycles dont really have a good sense for pinball outside of the funhouse

#43 3 years ago

The speed of Tron is nearly unmatched. There's no focus on toys or complicated rules. It's just a rush of speed with simple objectives. It's great.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The speed of Tron is nearly unmatched. There's no focus on toys or complicated rules. It's just a rush of speed with simple objectives. It's great.

right on man. rudy is lumpy stop and go and tron is like taking an ex-lax/prune juice elixir... if you like metaphors and stuff. I waxed my balls last night too. never done that before. the game is just absuolutely sick.

#46 3 years ago

I've had FH for years and although its a love of mine mainly because of nostalgia effect... I feel like Tron is just a better playing machine. If you love flow and speed... Tron is about as good as it gets. I've debated several times on getting rid of FH for Tron\Met\or ACDC. The sound track on any of these games is enough reason to own one so I feel like there are some better games out there for me right now. I just gotta get past ditching a classic for a new Stern which is hard to do sometimes....

#47 3 years ago

I don't like cheese, I LOVE IT!

so I'm no help here

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I waxed my balls last night too

Heck yeah!!

image_(resized).jpg

#49 3 years ago

Boob, I know what you are thinking. Please do not post a picture of them

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Boob, I know what you are thinking. Please do not post a picture of them

He'd still need to get permission from his wife to get them out of her purse for the photo op. We are safe for now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside