Linked Games

Topic poll

“Assuming cost and condition are very close, would you choose Funhouse or BSD?”

• Funhouse 36 votes
    47%
  • BSD 41 votes
    53%

(77 votes)

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hi All -

There is the possibility I will be able to pick up a pin in the next week or two if things play out well. Thinking positively I will proceed....

Experienced Pinsider's please give me your opinion on which machine you would choose.

Assuming cost and condition are very close to one another....would you select a Bram Stoker's Dracula or Funhouse?

Which one is more of a challenge and holds the players interest longer?

Which function or gimmick is the best between both games? Does either have a know mechanical issue that is sure to come up?

I will get to play them before buying. However I am sure I would miss many of the finer points of each game due to being in a trance by the flashing lights. I have heard both games are good but I do not recall playing either, yet.

Thanks very much in advance for your expertise!

#2 8 years ago

funhouse is comical but can be hard. BSD is can be downright brutal tough, especially with lightning flippers. Since you already have AC/DC, I'd go for funhouse.

#3 8 years ago

played both....never owned a BSD....currently own two Funhouse's.....

FH can be brutal as well...no ball save, and a missed shot can be fatal....but FH is one of my all time favorites...

Good luck with the purchase regardless of what direction you go....

#4 8 years ago

Well personally, I don't like Funhouse. And I do love BSD. So BSD for the win by a mile.

However, this one isn't simple because the two games are so different. Each one has it's fans, so we will all vote the one we like better. You might want to seek out the games and get some playing time on them. It will probably become clear as you do.

#5 8 years ago

Owned both. Sold both fast. Neither were close to being a keeper for me, although I can see the appeal of both. Just not great pins imo.

#6 8 years ago

That is a tough one.

#7 8 years ago

Bsd

#8 8 years ago

Ohmygod...Funhouse. There's a reason it's an iconic classic in pinball, and it's not just because of Rudy. This was the machine that Pat Lawlor based all his future classic machines on. (Crossover ramps, kickout, upper flipper, etc.)

But I agree...it seems like a happy machine, but it kicks your ass quick.

#9 8 years ago

I own both, I think people who like Funhouse like it for the nostalgia it brings them. Don't get me wrong it is a fantastic game but just doesn't do it for me like it does other people. BSD on the other hand is a bit newer and I really like the theme and it just clicks, it's amazing when you get all 3 multiballs stacked together and you get that "thiiirrrtttyyyy millliiiooonnn!" going. BSD over FH any day for me.

#10 8 years ago

funhouse

#11 8 years ago

Oh...just reread the OP. If cost and condition are about the same on these two machines, I think you're getting the better deal with a FH.

#12 8 years ago

Own bsd and have had it in my collection the longest for many reasons bc its just very good all around. Fun house is a cool pin but just doesn't keep my attention like alot of other pins .I think if it wld get the dmd treatment and new ruleset it wld be one of the best bc the theme is super cool.

#13 8 years ago

BSD all the way

#14 8 years ago

I say Funhouse for some reason.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Well personally, I don't like Funhouse. And I do love BSD.

Glad to know I am not the only one. Another vote for BSD. Fast, brutal, dark, unforgiving... yes. Cool animations.

#16 8 years ago

Own both and both are favorites.Do you enjoy verbal or physical abuse more.That may help with the decision.

#17 8 years ago

I have owned both and sold BSD. Funhouse is a classic and won't leave my collection. That said, I regret deeply selling BSD and am looking for one now to add back to the collection. If I could only keep one I think Dracula would get the win for replay value alone. Its one of the few "just one more game" pins out there.

#18 8 years ago

Funhouse. The first pinball I ever REALLY wanted, first one I bought, and will never leave. Rudy is one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) toy ever put on a PF, and I would dare say was the start of the toy on the PF craze. Before that it was spinning discs, drop targets, etc..Then here comes this game with a freakin HEAD in it. That follows the ball with its eyes, and comments on the game play. It was epic then, and is still epic.

#19 8 years ago

since you only own the one game i would go with funhouse. BSD is a great game to play and then play something else for a while while you heal up from the emotional scarring.

-c

#20 8 years ago

BSD for me. Both have tough gameplay, but the creepiness of BSD and the absolute bad ass animations makes it a keeper no to mention brutal like everyone has mentioned. I have had both, but kept BSD

#21 8 years ago

Funhouse is a good game. BSD is a great game

#22 8 years ago

Funhouse is cool, but BSD for me!

#23 8 years ago

I stated above I didn't like either, but Rudy is THE greatest toy in pinball, ever.

#24 8 years ago

OP, post a poll. I vote BSD. FH is a fun pin also, but BSD all the way!

#25 8 years ago

Tough call and a better question than many that ask essentially the same about some given pair of machines. Totally different machines that will both kick your butt when set up properly. BSD takes some really excellent shooting to get going but feels amazing to get going. Funhouse has lots to shoot at with the third flipper. The feel on these games is very different. End of Alphanumeric era with Funhouse and not too far into DMD era with BSD but similar depth (though a bit more stacking in BSD). Neither is really deep though. FH will challenge with no ball save and both games are really dangerous down low. Both games punish missed shots more than many games so from the standpoint of skill building both are strong.

Despite being a DMD, in similar shape I'd expect FH to be priced a decent bit higher. Though I haven't been the fondest of BSD (feel that it lacks a lots of shots - PF feels a bit bare to me though the shots that are there are all tough) it has grown on me lately. You can't go wrong with either of these in a collection but I think I'd rather have FH than BSD. FH is currently in my collection but I wouldn't mind a temp trade FH for BSD for a while. Saw Basler put up like 1.7 billion on it at SFGE (Atlanta Expo) this year during qualifying, talk about domination.

#26 8 years ago

BSD! BSD! BSD!
Funhouse is awesome too, but BSD is better in my opinion
They both come up, not all the time, but they do come up for sale......

#27 8 years ago

Get yourself a BSD! Lol

#28 8 years ago

Thank you everyone for the great insight! It seems to be really a close call so I have added a pole. I am still not sure which one I would select but I will continue to listen to the great advice before buying.

#29 8 years ago

BSD is the much better game. Having said that I do not think it is a good choice for a small collection.

#30 8 years ago

I'd go Funhouse. BSD is too stressful for me, spending all that effort to setting up triple multiball then having to not only pull it starting them all, but perform during the multiball itself. I'm a wimp who doesn't like difficult multiball modes though.

#31 8 years ago

You get MUCH much more value from a BSD. Before I get jumped on by feminists "It's a mans game"

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

You get MUCH much more value from a BSD. Before I get jumped on by feminists "It's a mans game"

That's awesome. You can keep it. Funhouse is a game for everybody.

#33 8 years ago

FH is magical, don't get me wrong but is one for the family yes.

#34 8 years ago

Well, if you pass on the BSD let me know as I am on the hunt

Obviously, that's what I voted for.

#35 8 years ago

You really need to play them both before you decide. For me, something as simple as the music that plays or certain sounds during game play, may make me hate the game. I don't care for MB because of this and I don't care for FH. Don't get me wrong, FH is a great game and the Rudy head is one of the best, but my ears start to bleed after playing it awhile.

BSD, on the other hand...I love the dark theme. I love the simple shots. I love mist multiball. I love the sounds, quotes and dots. I love most everything about it, especially stacking the multiballs.

So, before I say you can't go wrong with either one, you need to play them first.

#36 8 years ago

Do you like Lawlor games? If so, get FH. I think whirlwind is probably a better game, but that isn't meant to diminish funhouse. I'd love to own one someday.

BSD is badass... It almost has an EM feel to the lanes that drop to the pops. Tons of fun... Beat f-14 in my collection for my favorite (one more game pin). Currently, IM holds that spot... But I haven't sold BSD (did sell F-14). Game is pure evil! Really, really EVIL!!!

#37 8 years ago

Man, everyone hating on FH. This is like a TOTAN thread, one of the highest rated games ever and everyone hates it.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Currently, IM holds that spot... But I haven't sold BSD (did sell F-14). Game is pure evil! Really, really EVIL!!!

Hard to give upvote here because selling F-14 is a downvote, but throwing in IM into the mix is also an upvote . You know the score, hard pins FTW.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You really need to play them both before you decide. For me, something as simple as the music that plays or certain sounds during game play, may make me hate the game. I don't care for MB because of this and I don't care for FH. Don't get me wrong, FH is a great game and the Rudy head is one of the best, but my ears start to bleed after playing it awhile.
BSD, on the other hand...I love the dark theme. I love the simple shots. I love mist multiball. I love the sounds, quotes and dots. I love most everything about it, especially stacking the multiballs.
So, before I say you can't go wrong with either one, you need to play them first.

I agree with this completely. When I played FH at the PHOF for the first time the music was stuck on "very loud". I had to walk away from my game because the music was so grating to my ears....like Rudy but not the music.

#40 8 years ago

I own both... I give slight edge to FH.

I would sell BSD before FH. Plus FH is family friendly. I sold my 1st BSD back in the late 90's when my 3 sons were younger. Just wasn't right in the line up. Now they're in their late 20's, and moved out, BSD is back.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I agree with this completely. When I played FH at the PHOF for the first time the music was stuck on "very loud". I had to walk away from my game because the music was so grating to my ears....like Rudy but not the music.

I used to agree with you, but when you really get into the game, it grows on you. Promise.

#42 8 years ago

I too own both games, but FunHouse wins a very close race. For me it wins because it's just a better overall package.

But I also LOVE me some Dracula!!! Glad I own both.

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

#43 8 years ago

BSD is a Keeper!
FH is very fun on occasion.

#44 8 years ago

BSD is a good, fun pinball machine. Probably a somewhat deeper ruleset than Funhouse, and for that reason might hold your interest longer, if it's just you playing your games. Mist Multiball is really cool. The only bad thing i'll say about it is I personally hate those stupid lightning flippers (whose only purpose is to make the center drain gap larger). I suppose you could install standard Williams flippers, but then the purists will be on your case!

Funhouse, on the other hand, is a stone cold classic. not the deepest ruleset, but still super fun putting Rudy to sleep, then shooting a ball into his snoring mouth. Speaking of Rudy, he *is* the game, pretty much. best toy in a pinball machine, ever. love his trapdoor jackpot banshee wail, his shifty eyes that follow the ball around the playfield, his gradual growing aggression towards you as you progress to midnight, and everything else about him. put him to sleep, and his lower lip quivers in time to his snores. he ain't no bobblehead bash toy.

In terms of building a collection, i think Funhouse is a significant milestone game, moreso than BSD. From a standpoint of guest appeal, Funhouse can't be beat -- kids, women, and pinball novices are absolutely drawn to him, despite finding him creepy as hell.

the only category i'd give the nod to BSD in is long-term replayability. it's got a little more going on, i think, in terms of stacking multiballs and bats and rats and such. however, again, it's not as impressive a package visually or mechanically.

good luck!

#45 8 years ago

You all are making this a really tough call, lol.....initally I thought it would be BSD but I am really rethinking it now after seeing several videos, and then playing both games on the electronic versions on PS4. I will keep reading and listening to the experts.

thank you

#46 8 years ago

Get 'em both.

#47 8 years ago

I own both. Both have been here a long time. Neither is likely to leave soon. BSD is my go to game, and in my opinion has the edge due to the stackable multiballs, that's just genius. FH is awesome for the shots/theme/everything, but it doesn't compele me to play it every day. I'd sell half the games in my 15 game lineup before I came to either of these.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Then here comes this game with a freakin HEAD in it. That follows the ball with its eyes, and comments on the game play. It was epic then, and is still epic.

so awesome

#49 8 years ago

i have both now. both brutal games with way cool toys. both have in your face rebounds more-so than the other games I have/had. I'd probably get FH first. seems to be climbing in value more

#50 8 years ago

I own both, and love both. I would say my fh is more brutal than my bsd, and my bsd is pretty brutal.

I would give the nod to fh though, more to do, and fh is one of the pure classics of the ss era.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 29.95
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-vs-bram-stokers-dracula and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.