New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 274636)

Funhouse switch question

By yzfguy

84 days ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by Markharris2000
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 84 days ago

Ok, picked up my new funhouse and have an intermittent issue that I can't figure out.
It's a replacement playfield, so I'm not sure if the problem already existed or came up after the switch. Sometimes all works fine, sometimes, the jaw opto, hotdog ramp opto and Rudy's jaw do not work. All three either work or don't together... I physically checked the switches in same row/column to make sure no diodes were missing, or light tabs were touching brackets, etc. Ibreseated ribbon cables, connectors.
I don't know what I'm doing, but it seems that the jaw is controlled by a board under the playfield and the optos by a neighboring board. So these two boards must have some 12v in common that is intermittent, right?
I'm hoping some funhouse guy out there had this same issue and can save me some time so I can begin tormenting Rudy on a regular basis Love this game.
Also, when I power off the game it makes a horrendous screechy sound, not the typical "pop".
Thanks for any advice!

#2 84 days ago

Hesitant to say it's fixed, but I reseated some connectors and Rudy's jaw and the optos have been working great. Hopefully it was a loose wire in a connector, I just wish I knew which one in case it happens again
Ordered pinscore display to fix the display issue for good.
Thought I made some headway with the screech, but now I'm not sure. I did some reading about a bad capacitor on the speaker connection causing noise, so I disconnected the cab speaker and there was no screech when I turned the game off..... Then I realized that there is no sound at all with the cab speaker disconnected. .. I thought the speaker panel speakers would still work?
Tried hooking up a different cab speaker with no capacitor, and it works, but the screech is back on power down. I wish I hadn't skipped science class back in the day

#3 84 days ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Hesitant to say it's fixed, but I reseated some connectors and Rudy's jaw and the optos have been working great. Hopefully it was a loose wire in a connector, I just wish I knew which one in case it happens again
Ordered pinscore display to fix the display issue for good.
Thought I made some headway with the screech, but now I'm not sure. I did some reading about a bad capacitor on the speaker connection causing noise, so I disconnected the cab speaker and there was no screech when I turned the game off..... Then I realized that there is no sound at all with the cab speaker disconnected. .. I thought the speaker panel speakers would still work?
Tried hooking up a different cab speaker with no capacitor, and it works, but the screech is back on power down. I wish I hadn't skipped science class back in the day

It's a 12v issue. See if the 12v cap on the driver board (c2) is leaking or the top is bulging. (This is for the optos)

As for the sound...mines done that for 17 years since I first bought it.

#4 84 days ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

It's a 12v issue. See if the 12v cap on the driver board (c2) is leaking or the top is bulging. (This is for the optos)
As for the sound...mines done that for 17 years since I first bought it.

Yeah, the caps all look perfect... If it starts up again my buddy is going to check the boards out.
Yours makes a loud noice thru the speakers? It's not the normal popping, it's a little longer and horrible sounding. I've never heard this noise out of a pin before. It just doesn't seem normal. If I knew it wasn't a bad thing, I guess I could learn to live with it.
Thanks for your response.

#5 84 days ago

Most likely the switch connector to the CPU board, the one with all the green wires. Examine header and connector carefully: past corrosion could easily affect those pins. Also just loose wires to that IDC: wouldn't hurt to redo that connector.

Looked it up: J206/J207 and/or J208/209.

#6 84 days ago

Thank you, that's where I will check first if it acts up again.

#7 84 days ago

Regarding your speaker issue, it may be annoying, but not a problem in normal use. You'll find ALL of the speakers are basically wired in series,
even if they use J504 and J505 separately. WPC games appear to use independent connections, but they are really just using two pins: J504-pin3 and J505-pin2.

See http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html#newwiring for schematic of how WMS machines were wired.

#8 84 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Regarding your speaker issue, it may be annoying, but not a problem in normal use. You'll find ALL of the speakers are basically wired in series,
even if they use J504 and J505 separately. WPC games appear to use independent connections, but they are really just using two pins: J504-pin3 and J505-pin2.
See http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html#newwiring for schematic of how WMS machines were wired.

I get the in series part, but how does that contribute to this noise? It can be heard thru my house and everyone says "Holy Crap...."
Looks like the switch issues are all good, new display on the way.... That speaker noise is the only thing I don't care for but this game is all good

#9 83 days ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I get the in series part, but how does that contribute to this noise? It can be heard thru my house and everyone says "Holy Crap...."
Looks like the switch issues are all good, new display on the way.... That speaker noise is the only thing I don't care for but this game is all good

The series thing simply helps understand WHY disconnecting ANY speaker in the machine (the two in the backbox or the woofer in the cabinet) will yield NO sound at all. As for the screeching and pops, that is a variation of a litany of similiar issues everyone has with the early WPC FH machines. If the capacitors all check out, and the power supply is at the right levels, then I think you'll just need to live with it or add a mod. (In 2005 I had purchased one of the power pop modification boards which basically disconnected the speakers during power-up AND power down, essentially camophalging the design issue. Ironiclly I just sold it a month or so ago... but there are others with similiar mods floating around.).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside