• Latest reply 2 years ago by PinRetail
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2F3780E2-10AF-4379-94E6-6FBA345AA418 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hello everybody, been having a switch issue with my Funhouse for months. Half of column 2 and all of column 3 in the switch matrix do not work at all. When this issue first started these switches were intermittent. When the ball would land in the hidden hallway for example it wouldn’t register right away, but after a good 5 or 10 seconds would register it was there, but then stop working again. After that a ton of other switches stopped working all over the game, but those quickly corrected themselves and haven’t had problems since.

I’m not overly great with electronic repairs in the machines but I did poke around in the cabinet a lot checking for broken wires on the green-red (column 2) and green orange (column 3) wires. I also checked the connectors on the board and nothing appears burnt or loose. I finally got my hands on a new CPU for Funhouse that was sold to me by a professional 100% tested and working. From what I understand the switch matrix is on the bottom of the CPU right where all those wires plug in. I put that board in last night and nothing changed. All I know for sure now is that the issue has to be somewhere in the cabinet and it’s not in the board. (Hope it’s not something in the cabinet that is messing up the boards either).

It would be a lot easier to diagnose if it was just one column that wasn’t working but since it’s one and a half columns that is bad I’m not sure where to start. Could a diode cause this? Is there a good way to test with a multi meter for this kind of problem? Just looking for tips on where to go from here. I’ve tried looking online and haven’t really come across anything similar to this in terms of loosing one and a half columns on the matrix. I’ll attach a picture of Funhouse’s switch matrix chart with the affected switches circled in red. Thanks for any help you guys can give. Really want to get this thing playing again. It’s been a while since I’ve got to have some fun with Rudy.

2F3780E2-10AF-4379-94E6-6FBA345AA418 (resized).jpeg2F3780E2-10AF-4379-94E6-6FBA345AA418 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

My guess is you have a couple loose wires under your playfield. Try tracing the green-red wire first… bet it’s loose on one of the switches in that column.

#3 2 years ago

As a fellow pinhead who is not electrically inclined, I feel your pain. These types of issues can be a real pain. I found this article to be very helpful. It’s a lot to read through but worth while.

https://www.flippers.be/basics/101_switch_matrix.html

#4 2 years ago

Any Funhouse pinball might have had acid damage on a previous CPU.

Now you've got a known good CPU, that's great! But...

The connectors to the green wires of the switch matrix may be saturated with battery acid, and not making connection.

So the first thing I'd be looking at is the green wired plug on J206 or J207 on the CPU board (doesn't matter which it is plugged into, they are wired identically).

Does this look fuzzy? Like white-ish green dust on it anywhere? If so, you'll need to replace that connector.

The reason I suspect this is that the things that are working on the green-red switch column are the things not connected to J206 (or J207). So if you had bad connections in the plug at J206 and the green-red and green-orange wires aren't actually making connection, this could do exactly what you say your problem is.

But let's say that you have never had battery acid damage.

The next job is hard, but it's something every pinball tech is accustomed to.

Pinballs break wires. You could have really badly pinched wires right where the head box folds up. So check that nothing looks mashed right where the wiring bundle goes down from the headbox into the bottom cabinet.

The next place to look for a broken wire is the first physical switch that the suspect wire (green-red or green-orange) connects to. The first place the green-red wire goes probably isn't (21) Lock Mech Right, but somewhere else on the playfield, usually whatever switch is closest to the top of the playfield.

It would be weird to have both the green-red and green-orange wires broken right at their first connection on the bottom of the playfield, but it's more than possible. (Get's glassy eyed stare...) (Mumbles to himself...) "I've seen things..."

(Shakes himself...)

Anyway, this is likely a connection problem. Get back with us about what you find, and we'll help you troubleshoot further.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Meridian Charter Township, MI
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
$ 138.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Phoenix, AZ
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.