Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Mtg381
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FHps (resized).JPG

#1 4 days ago

I need to replace/upgrade the speakers in my Funhouse. Normally what I would do is replace the existing set with reasonably priced speakers that are similar to what came in the game originally, and supplement that with a 10" powered sub under the machine. For this restoration I am considering Flipper Fidelity or Pinball pro, and am looking for any feedback or tips from those who have done this. I have read older threads where some were disappointed with the results in this title, I have had other pinsiders tell me they are happy with the results.
What has your experience been?

#2 4 days ago

I put Flipper Fidelity in mine - sound is just ok but I think it is due to the output of the sound board itself. Definitely an upgrade to the stock but it didnt give me the quality I was hoping for.

#3 4 days ago

I installed the PinWoofer kit, and it sounds great. Contact pinwoofer as he had to send a different speaker then what's included in the kit to accommodate one of the backbox speakers.

#4 4 days ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

the output of the sound board itself.

This is my concern, I understand it wont be as robust as some titles but some users were complaining of muddy sound with the upgraded speaker sets.

#5 4 days ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

didnt give me the quality I was hoping for.

I feel like Im going to be dissapointed if I go this route.

Quoted from Mtg381:

I installed the PinWoofer kit, and it sounds great. Contact pinwoofer as he had to send a different speaker then what's included in the kit to accommodate one of the backbox speakers.

I will look into it...is the pinwoofer set that much different than the others mentioned?

#6 4 days ago
Quoted from Mtg381:

Hey mtg381 ! Are you using the stock sound board? Thanks

#7 4 days ago

FF and PP speakers are a rip off. Just do what you've been doing.

#8 3 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

FF and PP speakers are a rip off. Just do what you've been doing.

I’m gonna disagree, I put the Flipper Fidelity Meaty Beaty Big and Bassy 10" 3-way Speaker System for Sam and Whitestar Machines in my Iron Man and Spiderman. I got them both on sale at about $84 plus shipping. I immediately noticed an improvement in sound. Clarity and Bass are so much better now.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-friday-deals-at-flipper-fidelity

#9 3 days ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I’m gonna disagree, I put the Flipper Fidelity Meaty Beaty Big and Bassy 10" 3-way Speaker System for Sam and Whitestar Machines in my Iron Man and Spiderman. I got them both on sale at about $84 plus shipping. I immediately noticed an improvement in sound. Clarity and Bass are so much better now.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-friday-deals-at-flipper-fidelity

An improvement? I'm sure you did, I have zero doubt about that. You could get the same improvement from cheap speakers. The main issue is that the source audio is pretty bad, so you could put the worlds finest speakers in your machine, but your audio quality is only ever going to be as good as the source. Its worth noting that the sam and whitestar systems have a far higher quality source than WPC. Still, for $84 dollars its not a bad deal, and its certainly nice that crossovers and level controllers are included. At standard price of what, around $150 though? Its a pass for me.

#10 2 days ago

Went with a Pinsound board and went ahead and just got their speaker kit for convenience so I could upgrade to the most current L 9.05H rom as I have a Sample machine that had a Sys 11 sound board vs. WPC which limits what rom version you can go to.

Overall very happy, there’s just one call out that Pinsound needs to fix.

Agree with others as the key is the output source, and not so much the speakers. The Pinsound board is the key and does a great job and I like being able to customize the sounds and music to whatever I want really, although I don’t mess with it much. I also got their Shaker motor and that works really well as you can set so many different types of rumbles\vibrations to whatever sound or music event.

I have a Metallica LED too and went the Pinwoofer route and it’s amazing as their amplifier is what shines. I got the Flipper Fidelity speakers first and then added Pinwoofer’s amp kit, otherwise I would have gotten everything from Pinwoofer.

#11 1 day ago
Quoted from ED-209:

Went with a Pinsound board and went ahead and just got their speaker kit for convenience so I could upgrade to the most current L 9.05H rom as I have a Sample machine that had a Sys 11 sound board vs. WPC which limits what rom version you can go to.
Overall very happy, there’s just one call out that Pinsound needs to fix.
Agree with others as the key is the output source, and not so much the speakers. The Pinsound board is the key and does a great job and I like being able to customize the sounds and music to whatever I want really, although I don’t mess with it much. I also got their Shaker motor and that works really well as you can set so many different types of rumbles\vibrations to whatever sound or music event.
I have a Metallica LED too and went the Pinwoofer route and it’s amazing as their amplifier is what shines. I got the Flipper Fidelity speakers first and then added Pinwoofer’s amp kit, otherwise I would have gotten everything from Pinwoofer.

If you have a pinsound board I'm all for putting kick ass speakers into your game!

#12 1 day ago

Pinsound has SIX available soundtracks for Funhouse, the original raw download from the game itself, and then five variants contributed by users. (Once you have Pinsound, the soundtracks are available at no additional cost). What that means is someone in the user community took the time to clean-up, improve, edit, modify the list of original audio clips into 'something better'. Everyone has different tastes, so you'll get one or more new soundtracks. (For Funhouse you get SIX choices, but for some titles, like TOTAN the only available soundtrack is the original!) For Funhouse, most the new available soundtracks are very true to the original, but cleaned up in quality, added stereo effect, reduced mid-range muddy sounds, etc. mr_tantrum did one that seems to be a great quality-first update if you go the Pinsound route (check with him). (There is also a christmas theme if you feel the holidays approaching). Or if you are an audio engineer, you could re-theme the soundtrack entirely yourself to be Marlon Brando or Sean Connery or CP3O! LOL. Lastly, you can swap soundtracks easily, so you aren't committing to a christmas-themed Santa Rudy forever!

Bottom line: For the $350 plus the cost of new speakers, you can take the sound so much farther, and you could even uniquely go further by adding your own customized audio clips on top of the community's soundtracks available, since every clip is still editable regardless of source!

FHps (resized).JPG

#13 1 day ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

Hey mtg381 ! Are you using the stock sound board? Thanks

Yes, FH has the stock board. CFTBL has a Pinsound board and Pinwoofer upgrade.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside