6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zr11990
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    DSC12158.JPG

#1 6 years ago

Hello; Mike Chestnut here. I am looking into getting the Sector gear for Rudy's jaw motor made from aluminum gear stock so that it will never break again. I know that there is the guy on Ebay who sells the other gear which is part of the drive assembly, but in all of my years I have never seen that particular gear break. It has always been the Sector gear. The ones that are currently for sale are junk and only last for what seems like 20 - 30 games, and then they break again. A friend needs one right now for his game, and all of the suppliers are out of stock because they just keep breaking. I checked into getting them made from aircraft grade aluminum gear stock, and the cost is 150 each for one, or 2. If I can get 10 made, then I can get the price down to 100 each which is more reasonable. How many people out there would be interested in this gear at 100? How many people are sick of changing them, and want a gear that will never break? Also, I want to find out if anybody else is in the process of this, as there is no reason for me to bother with it if someone else has already started. Please post up. Thanks. Mike.

#2 6 years ago

Mike,

I have seen both break/lose teeth.

Why not use delrin? Should be much cheaper to make I would assume, and bring the price down. I personally would have to pass at 100 bucks a pop for gears.

#3 6 years ago

Actually Delrin really would not make it much cheaper. It's not the material that causes the cost. It is the complexity of the gear. We decided to go with the Aluminum as then it would definately last forever. The ones available right now are only 8 bucks I think, which is cheap, but you figure in constantly replacing them, shipping, and the work involved with replacing it, and it starts to add up. I'm not planning on selling them. I just think it's a part that needs to be made right finally and I would like one for my game, and my friends game. I'm just checking to see if there is demand to get the price down, and also help the pinball community out with a solution for the problem. I have plenty of work with plating to keep me busy. Thanks. Mike.

#4 6 years ago

How about a 3D printer?

#5 6 years ago

I had the other gear loose teeth the(14&56 gear) but so far the sector gear has lasted fine. If you go to metal on the sector gear than you probably should go to metal on the other one also, shouldn't you? I think you need both metal or both plastic otherwise the plastic one will get chewed up by the metal one.

#6 6 years ago

Problem with 3d printing would likely be durability, it would be likely to break quicker than the ones currently available.

#7 6 years ago

Isn't this guy already offering what you're looking to do?

ebay.com link » Funhouse Roadshow Pinball Machine Sector Gear

It may not be worth the effort to produce?

DSC12158.JPG

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

Isn't this guy already offering what you're looking to do?
    Ebay link
    It may not be worth the effort to produce?

No, this is the 14 & 56 gear that the sector gear meshes up with.

#9 6 years ago

Whatever you figure out, remake the square holed gear used for both MB gear units, and MB. They seem to be the most problematic gear IMO.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from 880Turbo:

I know that there is the guy on Ebay who sells the other gear which is part of the drive assembly, but in all of my years I have never seen that particular gear break.

I've seen the round gear break a TON of times. Bought one of Al's (he hadn't gotten all the tooling together at the time so I paid a LOT more than he's asking on Ebay..but I got that ball rolling).

Since I installed the delrin/bass gear never broke a tooth again.

#11 6 years ago

i replaced mine 4x with the junk one from marco (not marco's fault). i got the one from ebay 8 months ago and it hasnt failed me yet (knock on wood)

#12 6 years ago

Has anyone tried the one’s Terry sells at PBL? He’s selling the black ones: jaw link, sector, and dual gear. I need a dual and while not afraid to pony up for the brass/delrin one, there’s been a complaint that this gear had issues for someone too so really hard to know. Wish there was just one complete and permanent solution!

#13 6 years ago

This is the post about that one having an issue. This is the only negative I've heard about them though.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/warning-funhouseroadshow-gear-problem

#14 6 years ago

I'd like to hear more about the black gears PBL sells (both sector and circular). After hearing that the white remakes were junk, I bought one of the circular gears off eBay to have just in case. If the black gears are an improvement, that would be great news.

I'm on the fence regarding the aluminum sector gear. My Funhouse is on location and I'd hate for the sector gear to take it out of operation. But I've already spent $100 for a circular gear and shelling out another $100 for an aluminum sector gear makes me start to question my sanity. Plus Rudy's eyelids broke last week and that is another $27 + shipping to keep a dummy working whose main job is to piss you off. He's certainly good at what he does.

#15 6 years ago

Can the gear be cobbled together from just normal SDP/SI stuff?

I can almost always find every part there, and their prices are very reasonable.

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/CoverPg/Gears.htm

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Can the gear be cobbled together from just normal SDP/SI stuff?

The circular gear, yes. The sector gear (which this thread is really about), I really doubt it. It is this part:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3030

#17 6 years ago

I am a new Funhouse owner and in the same boat as you. I put in both the new round gear and sector gear purchased from Marco. Played the machine 1 hour and heard noise. Checked and at least 8-9 teeth broken off the 90 degree sector gear! My guess is the plastic used by the supplier to Marco is just total crap. That, or the plastic is really old and brittle. Age and/or a really hot warehouse can make plastic brittle. I am thrilled to learn the PBL sells the black ones. I'm guessing the black ones are a tougher material and I will try them. It sounds like the inherent design flaw that breaks the teeth off is made worse by bad crappy gear replacements. If someone makes high quality metal sector and round gears for Rudy, I will GLADLY pay $100 each to fix it and forget it. Otherwise, what's the point of just keep buying cheap ones? Of course having metal gears might just push the problem over to damaging the servo motor and creating a new problem. Still - I can't believe that the sector gear isn't already an off the shelf industrial product that some supplier on the web would offer. Why would Williams use one-of-a-kind gears when standard motors and gears are available in all types and sizes.

#18 6 years ago

Another thought is to replace the jaw link when you also replace the broken gears. It is only $5.95 at PBL. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3032 My guess is few people replace this part.

I noticed when I put in new Marco gears that the link part (white plastic) connecting the gear force to the jaw was apparently stock from 22 years ago and very bent out of shape, very flimsy. It could be that all the abrupt force from dead stopping the jaw on the gears is worsened by a bent link. I know the tranfer of force required to move any assembly becomes greater when one of the links is bent.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

The sector gear (which this thread is really about), I really doubt it

LOL, yeah those arms on the ends really make it an oddball part.

#20 6 years ago

I'm sorry but I think it's wrong for a seller like Marco or anyone else to sell a part that they know is defective and will break. We need to get them all off the market and in the garbage. Someone needs to make these gears. In my experience it's the round gear that goes bad the most. The one I got made of Delrin is still going strong but it was a prototype and not being sold. $100 is too much for either one of these gears, if they were made with the proper material there is no reason they shouldn't last much longer.

#21 6 years ago

I emailed Terry about the sector and circular gears asking if they were better quality than the white replacements that others have sold. He replied and said "they are the correct gears" and that he didn't have very many. I ordered some and hopefully they are good quality. I don't know if I'll be able to tell by comparing them to the junk white gears that I have. Hopefully I'll be able to see the differences in the type of plastic and hardness. Fingers crossed.

#22 6 years ago

The stock we have we pulled out of Illinois Pin Ball several years ago when the bulk of their parts were being sold. We just purchased a little storage space and we were moving some boxes into that space and unearthed a few items I had completely forgotten we had.

We don't have very many of these; 50 or so of each part.

Terry.
    www.pinballlife.com

#23 6 years ago

When will someone figure out why those gears even break in the first place? It's gotta be a design flaw. Perhaps an added resistor could calm down the jaw motor.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

When will someone figure out why those gears even break in the first place? It's gotta be a design flaw. Perhaps an added resistor could calm down the jaw motor.

NOS ones will break over time, no matter what. You are talking about 20+ year old plastic that dries out and gets brittle.

The new repro ones were just made with garbage materials.

FWIW, my repro ones I bought years ago broke within a month. Stuck my NOS ones back in and they have been going strong since.

Delrin or metal is the answer, but @ 100 bucks a pop, I simply cannot justify the price right now.

#25 6 years ago

Why hasn't somebody come out with some sort of servo motor replacement that removes the original motor and gears?

#26 6 years ago

I'm worried now, haven't finished my full shop of my RS yet (waiting on some LEDs), but installed a new round gear in Red... I guess I'm to expect this won't last now.

#27 6 years ago

Just had issues on my circular gear. Brand new assembly and motor and I stripped teeth within 10 plays. Not cool. I had a new gear put in and we noticed that the spline on the motor would stick out just enough to cause resistance and the extra torque would eat the gear. So far the solution of putting a washer buy the sector gear has worked. Here's a pic. Quite a few plays on it so far...

#30 6 years ago

Pic

image.jpg

#33 6 years ago

Where is the washer? I am not seeing it.

#34 6 years ago

I went through 5 of the Marco round gears in 2 months. So once I did the math I paid Al OVER 100.00 for just one of the delrin/brass.

Expensive yes but it never broke again. And he has them for less than I paid now that the tooling is up and running.

#35 6 years ago

I'd pay that for ones that will last.

1 week later
    #36 6 years ago

I ordered a new set from PBL on black and bought all three to replace Ted's set up. I figured I'd replace all three and see how it goes. They seem better than the sector gear that I had from LSOG. That looks bad (molded poorly) but could be fine.

Here's some pictures. They're in Ted and working fine. I only have 10 games on it so far.

image.jpg image.jpg

#37 6 years ago

And the originals. Note the smaller dual gear with a broken tooth but it was still working ok. They look like originals but can't confirm.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#38 6 years ago

Ill buy one.

James Lewis

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 249.00
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 4.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 9.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 334.95
    $ 39.50
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside