Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by fossmin
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 25 days ago

Hello my fellow pinsiders, it’s been a while but I’m still here\lurking and of course playing my pins.

Reason for this thread is sort of an update from a previous thread I started over 3 years ago regarding my Funhouse Sample machine but I wanted to create a new one with a better title to help others if they run into a similar situation, see here for my initial thread: (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-couple-of-funhouse-sample-machine-specific-questions).

My first pin that I got was my grail, a Funhouse, but after purchasing I found out it was a Sample machine which is great being rarer but not so great in terms of the gameplay was a lot different in terms of rules, sounds, awards and some modes from the production machines that were in arcades. I came to realize that Sample machines used their own specific roms (earlier than the first production rom) and one of my favorite awards\callouts “The Sausage Bonus” was not present. So I reached out and researched if there was anything I could do and some said you can use production roms but couldn’t confirm 100% which ones and some said you could but not everything would work (sounds, etc.) and some said you couldn’t mix the production roms with a sample machine due to the sample machine uses a different audio board (Sys11), so my only option without modifying my machine was to see if someone wanted to trade, which I really didn’t want to at the time, so I just let it go and moved on.

Well 3 years later and I started up again and thought maybe I could just add the updated WPC audio board and it would be a simple swap, but from what I could find online, it seems the Sys 11 audio board uses different voltages than the WPC audio boards that were in production machines so that was a no go without doing a lot of modifictations which is another thing that I did not want to do. Another option was possibly a Pinsound board but that was another beast entirely and I didn’t want to mess with all that, fearing I would really mess up something. So I once again started searching online and found a promising thread where someone said that sample machines CAN use production roms but could only go up to an L-5 (there are 2 versions that are more current, L-9 and L9.05H). I started to get excited as that meant by using an L-5, there were 3 earlier roms before this L-5 so surely my Sausage Bonus would work, yeah I know I got issues. Anyway I figured it wouldn’t hurt to just try it as I already confirmed if I installed a non-compatible rom that it wouldn’t mess up anything and I could just easily re-install my sample rom and revert back to my original setup. So I placed an order for the L-5 and the LA-4 (just in case the L-5 didn’t work) with a company that sells roms and put a note on the order these were for my sample Funhouse. After placing the order they immediately messaged me saying that these roms would not work and asked if I wanted to cancel my order. I thought, oh well, I guess they don’t actually work and that info from the thread wasn’t accurate but then something inside me said, what’s the harm and it’s not that much money so I confirmed that I did want to proceed with the order and that brings me to today....

IT WORKS!!!!!!! I installed the L-5, turned it on and figured if it booted, I would just try to manually get the Sausage Bonus. So it booted and I proceeded with the test manually triggering the Rudy hits, got up to 7 and then after the 8th, he did it, he said...”You Big SSSSausage” and it did the same booming sound effects and awarded me the million points....I was ECSTATIC, finally my machine plays like the one I grew up playing for hours on end in the mall Arcade.

So far I’ve noticed the following gameplay differences below:

-Frenzy is entirely different, the sound effects and even the music, it pops more and a more extravagant light show and the Super Frenzy is even better.
-Gangway lanes now light up if your ball goes through one that isn’t lit, previously the only way to light them was from the in-lanes.
-Quick Multi-Ball is a little different, the sound effects and music are better
-I can now setup a Custom Message, before it was in the test menu but would not go into Edit mode when selecting.

The only other thing that I haven’t yet tried that I think is different is the Hidden Hallway Multi-Ball. It is when you start the Midnight Multi-Ball and don’t even score one jackpot and you lose 2 of your 3 balls, it gives you 20 seconds to make the Hidden Hallway shot.

Apologies for the lengthy post but I just wanted to document my journey and while I know there are not a lot of sample machines out there, hopefullly this might help someone who gets one and wants to know if they too can obtain a Sausage Bonus . I can finally have closure with this and just continue to enjoy this amazing game.

Take care everyone.

#2 25 days ago

Very cool. You should video record those differences and upload to youtube. It would be fun to see.

#3 24 days ago

Well now, that's very interesting. I thought someone had already tested this. Which ROM did you have originally? You haven't found anything that DOESN'T work? And if I ready correctly you are still using Sys-11?

#4 24 days ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Very cool. You should video record those differences and upload to youtube. It would be fun to see.

Haven’t ever done a YouTube before but perhaps I should start for these types of things.

Quoted from Zablon:

Well now, that's very interesting. I thought someone had already tested this. Which ROM did you have originally? You haven't found anything that DOESN'T work? And if I ready correctly you are still using Sys-11?

It was P-6 which precedes the L rom, the test menu before I switched roms had “SY 0.90 11-15-90 and 50003 REV. P-6”, and the actual rom chip’s label was missing but assumed it was the earliest sample version but who knows?

So far I haven’t noticed anything that doesn’t work and no errors but only got to play a few games, will continue to test/play.

Yes, I still have the Sys 11 audio board and that is what’s being used, the separate dial knob on the inside of the cabinet still adjusts the sound.

I am curious if the L-9 chip would work as that doesn’t require any jumpers nor does it require a specific sound rom set from the documentation I’ve read online. I might eventually try it but I’m not really needing those extras and fixes from versions L-5 to L-9.

#5 24 days ago

Thanks for posting this, now i have to go look at my sample FH, I believe I am running L4 (mine does have the sausage bonus)

#6 24 days ago

I might need to mess around with mine. Didn't seem like enough changes to really make much difference though.

1 week later
#7 12 days ago

Thanks for posting Ed, Very informative. Dan

#8 12 days ago

Sweet.I might have to try this on mine.

1 week later
#9 5 days ago

Me as well. Mine is currently torn apart for a restoration, but will try it when I get it back together.

Thanks Ed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rochester, NY
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside