(Topic ID: 233169)

Funhouse - replacement driver board?

By Calipindave

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Calipindave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi guys.

My Funhouse has been through various states of restoration for a few years and is sporting a nice new PF. It was a project game when I got it.

I played it for a while but the gameroom went quiet. Now the kids are teenagers and are having friends playing again. (yeah).

Funhouse had some intermittent resets which I didn't address so now I am getting back to it. A few things I have noticed are that it isn't a warm up thing. It can be a bit random. I have had it happen with heavy play multiball and just normal game play. Sometimes it will be OK for a while and then it will restart and then do it again shortly after.

Voltage on the usual connectors is withing range. (J104 etc). I am seeing about 4.82v on TP2 at start up and about 4.9 after warm up. I know that this is a bit low. Is that voltage low enough to start the usual array of restart tests?

Here is the real question/observation. The driver board is a kludge of previous repairs, new solder joints a few wire jumpers etc. Do I run myself around working through all the usual stuff. I checked the solder joints on connectors and the like and reflowed some of them. The LM3232 looks like its been either replaced or resoldered and doesn't look that good. All in all I am not confident in the quality of the work.

At the same time, I am not keen on spending $ 300 on a new board. I am not averse to replacing it with a known good used board either.

Suggestions are invited.

Thanks

Dave

#3 5 years ago

Good points Lloyd. I enjoy some tinkering no doubt but I prefer playing. I suspect I will be tinkering with the existing board endlessly.

Is the 4.9 volts low enough to be the start point in saying it’s in the board and it’s various components.?

If that’s the case then I may not want to spend much more time on this board. I am willing to try a few hey try this ideas.

If I could find a decent working used board out of a game maybe being parted out I would consider it as long as it looks clean and unhacked.

In the end I will spend the $300 if need be, would just like to kick that can down the road if possible,

Thanks

Dave

#8 5 years ago

Thanks guys for the direction.

I hadn’t seen the kahr board previously and is definitely interesting:

http://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html Correct?

Slochar I don’t mind working on it but don’t want to make a career out of this board. Clearly there have been brs and caps worked in but I’m not certain they have been replaced. There are large blobs of solder where there might have been attempts to deal with lifted traces and at least one cap had a wire soldered to a keg to get around what must be a bad trace.

Everything is working fine though aside from the resets. TP2 is stable at around 4.9 volts. Perhaps the Kahr board at a relatively inexpensive price would keep things going for now

Mollyspub: I wouldn’t mind sending it out for repair assuming that it won’t be seen as too far gone. I have seen some posts about ineffective repair done so I will dig around the forum to see who is getting the best feedback.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 29.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Calipindave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-replacement-driver-board?tu=Calipindave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.