• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2021-02-20 09.22.23 (resized).jpg
2015-09-13_17.17.59.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm restoring a Funhouse and going way over budget. I cleaned up what I was sure I would be replacing of Rudy and he looks great. No cracks at all. The only questionable part is the paint loss on his lower lip. I'd just buy a new one if I thought it would match the head. I figure it's a gamble if anything matches so I wan to to either go all new or original. My budget says original. I'm guessing if I repaint any red I may need to do all of it. The lips have pretty solid lines, but the nose and cheeks have some overspray. Any painting (makeup) tips?

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I'm restoring a Funhouse and going way over budget. I cleaned up what I was sure I would be replacing of Rudy and he looks great. No cracks at all. The only questionable part is the paint loss on his lower lip. I'd just buy a new one if I thought it would match the head. I figure it's a gamble if anything matches so I wan to to either go all new or original. My budget says original. I'm guessing if I repaint any red I may need to do all of it. The lips have pretty solid lines, but the nose and cheeks have some overspray. Any painting (makeup) tips?

Yes. Have my wife do it for you. She did mine and it looks terrific. Used Testor's paint and matched the color very well. She's got a steady hand, so I'm glad she did it...if I did it it would have looked like I was having a grand mal seizure. But you're making the right decision to just repaint; the plastic color on replacement parts doesn't match at all. The jaw is too dark, and you'll never get the face to match the back of the head. A royal pain in the ass.

Why do you need to repaint the cheeks/nose? It's usually only the lower lip that takes a beating.

#3 8 years ago

I don't really need to paint anything other than the lower lip. I was just concerned that the paint wouldn't match. Did you clear after the paint? How has it held up?

#4 8 years ago

I gave it a shot with a brush and Createx paint. I probably should have waited for the wife for color matching. I also should have sprayed it. I'm more confident with a brush than an airbrush. I need to get over that. The paint looked pretty dull when it was done. I brushed on a little clear. Hopefully it will add a little protection too. I'm curious to see how it holds up.

2015-09-13_17.17.59.jpg2015-09-13_17.17.59.jpg

#5 8 years ago

I never noticed Rudy had lips, just those eyes...watching me...everywhere....

Your paint job looks good.

5 years later
#6 3 years ago

How did Rudy’s lips hold up?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Nez02:

How did Rudy’s lips hold up?

I was going to say perfect, but it you zoom in you can see a tiny paint chip on the top. It's been 5 years, but it's only had 411 plays since the restore. I'm not sure it would hold up on location, but fine for home.

2021-02-20 09.22.23 (resized).jpg2021-02-20 09.22.23 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-painting-rudy?hl=nez02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.