Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pahuffman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

My FunHouse isn't saving any settings. I have put new batteries in and made sure the contacts are clean on the battery holders. The default language is German because it's a reimport, but the more annoying thing is being unable to save high scores and extra ball settings. Any ideas about where else to look?

#2 6 years ago

bad battery holder?

#3 6 years ago

http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_wpc_country_settings.html This may help set to USA.

I'd put a meter on the cpu and see if battery power is getting to it. If not check for battery damage or broken ends that grip the ends of the batteries.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

I just ran into this problem on my Shadow pinball machine. Some things to look out for:

1) Are your batteries installed correctly? If they're in backwards, the game won't save settings. Make sure that the positive terminals are all facing up.
2) Are you 100% certain your battery holder is in decent shape? William's used honestly garbage battery holders. They might look alright, but aren't making connection. You can see if power is getting to the RAM to see if it's good.

Stick you multimeter in DC voltage test mode, stick the black lead on ground (I just stuck it on one of the screws that holds the board in the backbox, and touch the red lead to the last pin on the RAM (easily identified, since it usually has the big "Warranty Void if Removed" sticker on it). The last pin (pin 28, I think) should be the very last pin to the right of the "notch" on the chip. See if you're getting voltage there. You should see around 4 or more volts.

Also check for power at Diode 2 (D2) (its a small glassy looking diode to the right of the board, it'll be labelled). With the black lead still grounded, one side of the diode should be 4 or more volts, and the other side should be around 3.6 or so volts. Anything else, and the diode has failed.

After all is said and done, I=ideally, you should install a satellite mounted battery pack (or NVRAM) to keep the MPU safe from future corrosion, but if you're super lazy like me, you can sub the standard alkaline batteries for some fancy lithium AA batteries. They won't leak.

Good luck. I'm betting the issue is simple, but you shouldn't have an issue testing everything else "downstream."

#5 6 years ago

Thank you! I have memorized how to set everything to English now that I've done it so many times, but mostly I just play in German since I know the game so well. I will check these when I get home this evening.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks! This will solve at least one problem!

#7 6 years ago

I'm not getting any voltage from the RAM (U8) to the ground. I from left to right going from battery to ground I'm getting 1.6, 3.6, and .09 volts. Does this mean it's just a bad battery connector?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I from left to right going from battery to ground I'm getting 1.6, 3.6, and .09 volts. Does this mean it's just a bad battery connector?

Yea, sounds like you have a bad battery holder. You should see the batteries "adding" in power each time. So the first battery should be 1.5 volts, the second around 3.0, and the third 4.5 volts (ideally, of course, since each battery is approximately 1.5 volts (x3). That 0.09 volts on the third battery might as well be zero.

I'd go ahead and replace the battery holder.

#9 6 years ago

Ok I will look into doing that. Thanks!!

#10 6 years ago

Got 'er to 100%! I just cleaned the contacts as well as I could with alcohol and it the voltages normalized!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-not-saving-settings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.