(Topic ID: 181486)

Funhouse lamp ghosting after playfield swap (SOLVED!)

By Shredso

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shredso.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

After a playfield swap I'm getting terrible ghosting of the LEDs. Worse than I've seen in any game. 2 or 3 lamps blinking full brightness on the mystery mirror. Minute hand impossible to read because 4 are lit. I don't recall seeing any ghosting before the swap but if I remember correctly there were only a handful of LEDs. These are all Cointaker supers now. I'm running 9.06H code, which I thought included the no ghosting fix. I swapped the mystery mirror back to incandescent and it works properly. I still can't help but think something isn't right. Any suggestions?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Dopes214tx:

You should try their premium non ghosting bulbs, if that doesn't fix it, I had to install an OCD LED board in my STTNG to get them to stop ghosting. Hope that helps

I've used the premiums in every Stern I've had. I just find it odd that it's so extreme in this game. I think I will be purchasing an LED OCD.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

LED OCD is the way to go. I have it on my FH and all my B/W machines. One of the top 5 mods in pinball that's necessary (IMO) for all machines.

I have 2 of them in Sterns. I always felt like the Sterns really needed them. I've never seen significant ghosting in a WPC game. Maybe I'm lucky. I did order a WPC LED OCD. Hopefully it solves the problem.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Of course we talked via email, but I just wanted to reiterate, both for you and for other readers. If those lamps are lighting full brightness, it sounds like a wiring issue more than typical ghosting, and I would be somewhat surprised if the LED OCD fixes it.
I meant to mention, this lamp matrix tester is a quick way to narrow these kinds of issues.
http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=11&controller=product&id_lang=1
It all but eliminates any possible lamp matrix wiring, diode, LED bulb issues, so if you see the ghosting on it, you can say for certain that it's coming from the power driver board, not the stuff under the playfield.
My guess in your case is that you would not see the "ghosting" with the tester.

I forgot I bought one of those! I did not see any ghosting with the tester. Any suggestions where to look next? I'll start looking for obvious things and see if I can come up with a pattern of which lights stay lit.

1 week later
#13 7 years ago

I tried to find some patterns in the lamps that stay lit. I realized I didn't have a diode in the pop bumper lamps. I'm used to pops being GI. I disconnected all 3 pop lamp wires and problems persist.

Everything in row 8 is always at least partially lit, except for Start button.

Lamp 53 lit when any lamp in row 3 is tested
Lamp 54 lit when any lamp in row 4 is tested
Lamp 55 lit when any lamp in row 5 is tested
Lamp 56 lit when any lamp in row 6 is tested
Lamp 57 lit when any lamp in row 7 is tested

I'll do some more digging later. Any suggestions in the meantime are appreciated.

#14 7 years ago

Printing out the lamp matrix chart in large print that I could mark out made this a lot easier. It became pretty obvious that all lamps in row 8 were stuck on, and all lamps in column 5 were problematic. Those intersect at the overhead gangway lamp. It looked like one of the tabs was touching the bracket. Readjusted and problems persisted. Luckily this lamp has a quick connect under the playfield. Disconnected that and all issues went away. Now I'm only troubleshooting one lamp, shouldn't be too bad.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Make sure the Gangway light is wired properly with the diode.
To do this, compare the wiring to the left ramp overhead light.

The light was improperly wired. I just need to rewire my Pop bumpers (with diodes this time) and I should be 100%!

1 month later
#18 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

9.06H? Where did you get that?

I don't recall if I burned it or if it came with the machine. A quick search showed it available from VPforums. I couldn't tell you what the difference is. Now I'm really curious.

#19 7 years ago

It may be that 9.05 is a home only ROM and 9.06 offers the option of coin play with the updates of 9.05?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shredso.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-lamp-ghosting-after-playfield-swap?tu=shredso and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.