• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by sb33334
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

$_12.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sb33334.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hi, new to pinball and just bought a Funhouse-- my first machine. I purchased one the metal gears for the jaw (the 1/4 gear with the gearstops) on e-bay (see pic). However, the range on it seems a little different from the original. In short, the gear stop (the long ends) is controlling the range of motion on one end, but not the other. Where it is controlling the range, the mouth has room to close more (it used to close just a little more). Where it is not, the mouth fully opens, but the mouth/jaw linkage, and not the gear stop, is doing the stopping.

It functions, but I am worried that the strain on the jaw linkage (because the linkage is doing the stopping) will cause the part to break at some point. I am sure that the install is correct. Also I seem to have confirmed that the arm angle on the old gear is a little different when the gears are same position.

Can anyone provide me with guidance on this? Thanks!

$_12.JPG$_12.JPG
#6 10 years ago

Thanks for all of your input. I do agree it is likely overkill and the price is too high. Perhaps I am being too careful, much like a first time parent.

Wolf- how would you "index the gear one tooth"? Probably a newbie question. Thanks again.

#8 10 years ago

Ok, makes sense. Thanks.

#12 10 years ago

There is no way to re index it. It is hard to explain, but the lever, which works off of the back of the gear, is restricted by the linkage in a way that limits the movement. Either the linkage would need to be longer/different, or the motor mount with gears moved (new holes on the underside of the board). Otherwise, the position can't be adjusted or changed.

The mouth closes nearly all of the way. I am thinking of fashioning my own gear stop and putting it on the gear, or just letting it go and see what happens. I am not sure how much torque/force comes off the motor to determine whether it will break or strain the linkage. Thanks for following up. Pinball seems like a great online community.

#13 10 years ago

Mollyspub- Did you have any issues along the lines of what I described?

#15 10 years ago

Just a quick update. I put a rubber drawer-stop type sticky on the inside of the gear stop. Now that touches the other gear and should be doing the stopping.

I tried to contact the Ebay seller twice and have been ignored. I am pretty surprised as I spoke to him on the phone before the purchase and he seemed like a pretty nice guy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sb33334.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-jaw-gear-with-gearstops?tu=sb33334 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.