Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by sb33334
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

$_12.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Hi, new to pinball and just bought a Funhouse-- my first machine. I purchased one the metal gears for the jaw (the 1/4 gear with the gearstops) on e-bay (see pic). However, the range on it seems a little different from the original. In short, the gear stop (the long ends) is controlling the range of motion on one end, but not the other. Where it is controlling the range, the mouth has room to close more (it used to close just a little more). Where it is not, the mouth fully opens, but the mouth/jaw linkage, and not the gear stop, is doing the stopping.

It functions, but I am worried that the strain on the jaw linkage (because the linkage is doing the stopping) will cause the part to break at some point. I am sure that the install is correct. Also I seem to have confirmed that the arm angle on the old gear is a little different when the gears are same position.

Can anyone provide me with guidance on this? Thanks!

$_12.JPG
#2 5 years ago

Congratulations on purchasing Funhouse, it's a classic. I have seen this metal gear for sometime on Ebay, and noticed quite a few people purchasing. That's fine, but I think it's overkill. You might be better off just buying the regular plastic replacement parts. I have played close to 200 games on my Funhouse, and the gears have not broken yet. My point is for home use you might not need, unless it's on route.

#3 5 years ago

I second that. I have never had any issues with the plastic jaw gear.

#4 5 years ago

I've seen a plastic jaw gear break, but unless that metal one is comparably-priced, I'd say it's not worth it. The nylon gear is plenty strong.

#5 5 years ago

If you are going to use the steel gear and are concerned about the over-travel when the jaw is opened, try indexing the gear one tooth in one direction or the other so the gear and jaw linkage are in time. This may correct the jaw closing also.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for all of your input. I do agree it is likely overkill and the price is too high. Perhaps I am being too careful, much like a first time parent.

Wolf- how would you "index the gear one tooth"? Probably a newbie question. Thanks again.

#7 5 years ago

With the jaw in the open position and the linkage at maximum travel, slide the metal gear into position. Just prior to the meshing and the metal gear in the position that the stop would hit, let the jaw down just until the next tooth lines up to mesh, then slide the gear into resting position. At this point, the metal gear stop should be against oposing stop, and jaw should be open without linkage maxed out.

#8 5 years ago

Ok, makes sense. Thanks.

#9 5 years ago

let us know how you make out.

#10 5 years ago

ive had problems with the round jaw gear as a replacment only lasted months before a few teeth broke off again. i purchased the delrin/brass replacement from ebay. yes... the price was too much but, i know i will never have to worry about it again. rudy is very happy about that !

#11 5 years ago

So it is working properly now?

#12 5 years ago

There is no way to re index it. It is hard to explain, but the lever, which works off of the back of the gear, is restricted by the linkage in a way that limits the movement. Either the linkage would need to be longer/different, or the motor mount with gears moved (new holes on the underside of the board). Otherwise, the position can't be adjusted or changed.

The mouth closes nearly all of the way. I am thinking of fashioning my own gear stop and putting it on the gear, or just letting it go and see what happens. I am not sure how much torque/force comes off the motor to determine whether it will break or strain the linkage. Thanks for following up. Pinball seems like a great online community.

#13 5 years ago

Mollyspub- Did you have any issues along the lines of what I described?

#14 5 years ago

Mollyspub- Did you have any issues along the lines of what I described?

no i didnt, left the stock sector gear in and just replaced the round jaw gear.

#15 5 years ago

Just a quick update. I put a rubber drawer-stop type sticky on the inside of the gear stop. Now that touches the other gear and should be doing the stopping.

I tried to contact the Ebay seller twice and have been ignored. I am pretty surprised as I spoke to him on the phone before the purchase and he seemed like a pretty nice guy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside