Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by kvan99
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've got a Funhouse that I maintain that is on location. I recently installed a new replacement gear and sector (from Marco Specialties). After less than a month back on location and around 300 plays, the gear already has two broken teeth, which causes the gear to get stuck on the motor, etc.

I found this replacement gear on eBay and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it:

ebay.com link: Funhouse Roadshow Pinball Mouth Gear Made in Metal to replace faulty Plastic

It's a bit pricey but I'm thinking it might be the way to go since this machine gets quite a bit of play.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

I've HEARD that it works great, however, I have no personal experience with it. I'm sure someone here has used it. I have the black, plastic derelin version of the sector gear and the mouth link. Both have been fine for about a year (which for me on that machine has been around 500 or so plays).

#3 9 years ago

I'm with parkway, have the black plastic version and works great

#4 9 years ago

I have the black, plastic derelin version of the sector and that is holding up fine. Does anyone make a black derelin version of the big gear? I'm afraid if I purchase another white plastic gear it's just going to break again.

#5 9 years ago

I see Pinball Life has a version of the gear and it's black.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3031

Anyone know if it's better quality than the white one that Marco Specialties sells?

#6 9 years ago

Who sells the black sector gear? I've tried the white sector gear and it jams up with the main gear. Un-jamming it causes the last two teeth to break, which makes a loud whirring noise any time the motor gets to the end of the gear.

#7 9 years ago

I have 553 games in on the black one from Pinball Life. Just looked at it Tuesday up close. Looks just like it did when i put it in...

#8 9 years ago

FWIW, I read somewhere on klov I think that you have to adjust the sector gear and jaw gear so there isn't a lot of stress on the gear...also someone suggested to boiling the gear in hot water would significantly extend the life of the teeth.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from debaser:

I've got a Funhouse that I maintain that is on location. I recently installed a new replacement gear and sector (from Marco Specialties). After less than a month back on location and around 300 plays, the gear already has two broken teeth, which causes the gear to get stuck on the motor, etc.
I found this replacement gear on eBay and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it:
ebay.com link » Funhouse roadshow Pinball Mouth Gear Made In Metal To Replace Faulty Plastic
It's a bit pricey but I'm thinking it might be the way to go since this machine gets quite a bit of play.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

go ahead and purchase the one on ebay. although pricey its far better than anything out there ! i went ahead and got one as like you, i replaced mine with a cheapy one only to last a few months.

#10 9 years ago

Delrin is the best. if you can find that one I would buy that. Just like metal only better. I use those delrin bits where ever I can on my road show and funhouse.

#11 9 years ago

i got one from ebay listing shown. no issues since putting it in, and that was many months ago. replaced the original with the one from marco 3 times, and they would break quickly.

#12 9 years ago

fyi ... we are running these gears in original Nylon in the next few weeks hopefully, as replacement gears have been in something as good as they can but not quite the same, but was all that could be done as it takes more of a injection setup to run Nylon. As soon as the Nylon gears are in we will let people know.

#13 9 years ago

I do have that gear from ebay. After about 800 games I see no signs of wear.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

FWIW, I read somewhere on klov I think that you have to adjust the sector gear and jaw gear so there isn't a lot of stress on the gear...also someone suggested to boiling the gear in hot water would significantly extend the life of the teeth.

I was wondering about that. I replaced a broken sector gear and just put the new one in wherever it happened to meet the jaw gear. I couldn't find any documentation on how to set them correctly. Would you or anybody else know the correct position to mate the jaw and sector gear?

#15 9 years ago

When I replaced mine, I did not see any way to adjust the range of motion where the two meet, and that is the only way I could see being able to adjust where the stress is placed on the parts.

Strangely, when I put in both the sector gear and other gear from that ebay seller (the metal sector and part-metal other gear), the range of motion was off such that the end of the sector gear was not what caused the movement to stop (it stopped a tooth or two away before hitting the end of the sector gear). I was afraid that the strain on the jaw/bar that pulls the jaw down, which was then doing the stopping, would cause the jaw to break. What I did was put a cabinet stop (the little rubber adhesive piece that makes a drawer or cabinet close quietly) on the inside of the sector gear on one end, and that now hits the other gear and makes the action stop.

If there is an adjustment for where the 2 gears meet, I could eliminate that "fix".

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

I was wondering about that. I replaced a broken sector gear and just put the new one in wherever it happened to meet the jaw gear. I couldn't find any documentation on how to set them correctly. Would you or anybody else know the correct position to mate the jaw and sector gear?

Sorry my FH was sold a few months back so I can't recall how they mated when I rebuilt Rudy's head, but I can tell you the soft white gears are junk, look for the black ones, they last longer. I had one in FH for 3 years with no issues. Btw, the originals were milky white, I read that the remakes were from Germany and they were bright white, but they used the wrong plastic and the they were using a mold which introduced a lot of bubbles in the pour, so it was weak.
Looks like someone made some from Nylon Great price considering he gives you one year warranty:

ebay.com link: Funhouse Roadshow mouth gear pair 03 8470 03 8471

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-jaw-gear-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.