IMG_7483-191.jpg
IMG_7482.jpg
IMG_7477.jpg
IMG_7297.jpg
IMG_7293.jpg
IMG_7296.jpg
IMG_7292.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hey guys and gals. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I was contacted by a friend who has a moving company. He just got done moving a Funhouse machine for a client. The client told him that it has issues and was looking for someone to fix it. My friend gave them my info and they reached out to me. Let me start by saying that I've never worked on or even played Funhouse. Just never had the opportunity but I am familiar with the machine. I also don't have quick access to the machine. It's on the completely other side of town from me.

I went over and took a look.

The first thing I noticed was that roughly 90% of the lights were out. Those all turned out to just be bad/burned out bulbs. I fixed/replaced all those and then went on to the next issue.

The owner told me that it used to be on free play but after they changed the batteries out, it wasn't on free play anymore. "That's easy," I told them. I opened the coin door and pressed the menu switch....nothing. So much for it being easy. I metered the switch and it was shorted closed. I shot it down to a problem with the board that has the batteries on it. Someone had done the mod where you remove the battery holder and attach wires so the batteries won't corrode the board...but it was too late. The board had some pretty good corrosion damage. I remove it, cleaned it up and in the process, found a shorted diode (D14) and some corrosion under one of the connectors that was shorting pins 3 and 4 (3 was the input for the Menu switch and 4 was a ground). So after replacing the diode and removing the corrosion that was causing the short, the Menu switch worked just fine and I was able to get the machine setup the way the owner had it before.

Now it was time to test everything else out.

Problem #1 - Rudy's eyes don't close all the way. They open and close, but when they are supposed to close all the way at midnight, they never go all the way closed.

Problem #2 - The left flipper bumper doesn't work. The switches have continuity when manually activated, but the machine doesn't register them. There are no broken or cut wires that I can see/find. The diodes on the switches test good.

Problem #3 - The two left drain switches don't work. The switches have continuity when manually activated, but the machine doesn't register them. There are no broken or cut wires that I can see/find. The diodes on the switches test good.

Problem #4 - The right flipper sticks sometimes like the solenoid is staying energized.

The rest of the machine is fully operational. It's playable now, but it has the 4 aforementioned issues. The owner would really like to get these issues resolved as would I. If anyone can offer any help, or knows what to do from running into these issues before, your help would be immensely appreciated. Many thanks.

-Mike

#2 9 years ago

For Rudy issues, check out the Youtube Ruday repair videos. They will give you a primer on how he functions and should help you track down the eye problems. He is not too hard to take off and repair once you see the videos.

#3 9 years ago

on number 4....when that happens, cut the power to the game and see if the flipper drops back down. If thats the case, its electrical...if not, its mechanical and may be adjustable.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll check out the Rudy videos and do the suggestion with the flipper. There must be something in common with the drain lanes and bumper not working. I was dreading digging in the wiring diagrams to try and shoot it but it looks like I'll have to.

#5 9 years ago

The left slingshot, left return lane and left outlane are all on column 4 in the switch matrix (grn-yel wire). So you've most likely got a broken connection in the chain. Most of the time this will happen at a switch so make sure all of the column 4 switches (except the last one in the chain) have two grn-yel wires attached.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks Terryb!

1 week later
#7 9 years ago

It looks like most of the switch issues are being caused by the bad WPC board. There's just so much corrosion and acid damage that it just needs to be replaced. I'll be getting a new one and proceed from there. I fixed the flipper issue. The solenoid was a bit cock-eyed and the rod wasn't freely moving in and out of the solenoid. I adjusted it and it's all good now. As for the Rudy issue of his eyes not closing is because the plastic piece attached to the solenoid arm is broken off the arm (See pictures below). Are these parts replaceable? Are they available anywhere? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_7292.jpgIMG_7292.jpg
IMG_7293.jpgIMG_7293.jpg
IMG_7296.jpgIMG_7296.jpg
IMG_7297.jpgIMG_7297.jpg

#11 9 years ago

If you need a MPU board I have a few and so does John Wart. PM me.

#12 9 years ago

Wow! Thanks guys! Much appreciated. I'll purchase the items are report back with how it all goes.

#13 9 years ago

DocRotCod, I already purchased this...(got the last one in stock)

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PC-WPC089-TH

1 week later
#14 9 years ago

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I just got done working on the machine after all the parts came in and I'm happy to say it's back up and running at 100%!

I installed the new link assembly for Rudy's eyes not closing and that fixed him right up. That roll pin was a real pain to get out as well as the broken plastic stuck inside the rod.

The drain switches and bumper not working ended up being caused by the MPU board that had all the acid damage on it. The new MPU arrived, I installed it and that fixed all three issues. Both drain switches and the bumper work perfectly now.

Only remaining issue was the right flipper sticking. That turned out to be an easy fix. The solenoid was tightened down at an angle, causing the arm to rub on the housing when it was being energized. I simply loosened the solenoid, aligned it properly and that fixed the issue. The right flipper works perfectly now.

I also installed a full LED kit and some aftermarket spotlights (at the owner's request). The machine is now 100% working with no known issues. It looks and plays great! I just wanted to share all this because it took a lot more work than I made it sound like. All in all, it was a fun experience, if not time consuming and daunting. Thanks for reading all this. Here are some pics and a final rundown of the work...

Problem #1 - Solved by replacing the bad link assembly.

Problem #2 - Solved by replacing the MPU board.

Problem #3 - Solved by replacing the MPU board.

Problem #4 - Solved by re-aligning the flipper solenoid.

Problem #5 - (I found a number of switches that were inop because of misalignment or bent actuator arms) Solved by fixing/readjusting them all as I went along.

IMG_7477.jpgIMG_7477.jpg
IMG_7482.jpgIMG_7482.jpg
IMG_7483-191.jpgIMG_7483-191.jpg
IMG_7470.jpgIMG_7470.jpg
IMG_7456.jpgIMG_7456.jpg
IMG_7471.jpgIMG_7471.jpg
IMG_7475.jpgIMG_7475.jpg
IMG_7472.jpgIMG_7472.jpg
IMG_7474.jpgIMG_7474.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-help-needed-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.