(Topic ID: 49181)

Funhouse Ground Shorts

By ShawnandLacy

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have a Funhouse that was working great, until suddenly you couldn't start a game. The error report say there is a ground short on row 2, 4, and 8. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what could be done to fix this it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#2 10 years ago

check the lockdown bar release handle. does it have rubber on it? if not, it may be shorting against the backside of the coindoor when closed. wrap that rascal in electrical tape.

#3 10 years ago

It does not have rubber on it so I wrapped it in electrical tape. Unfortunately no change. Thanks for the tip though . When the game comes on the trap door opens and closes repeatedly, not sure if that is part of my problem or if it is suppose to do that.

#4 10 years ago

It is not supposed to do that. Wish I could help you more.

#5 10 years ago

Remove row and column connectors. Test from rows 2, 4 and 8 to ground with DMM in diode/continuity mode and game off. You should not see any continuity from ground to those wires. If you do then the wires are shorted under the playfield, if you don't then there's a problem with the board.

Have you done any work to the game recently?

#6 10 years ago

I checked the connectors and there was no continuity on any of them. If anyone has a copy of the schematics for the wiring that they could email to me that would be a great help. I downloaded the manual from the internet pinball database but the wiring pages are completely unreadable. Thanks

#7 10 years ago

Remove the row and column connectors at the circuit board and see if the ground short goes away in test mode.
If the problem goes away, then the trouble is in the playfield (wiring, diodes, etc)
If the problem is still there, then the trouble is in the board.
The trapdoor pops open because the game thinks a ball is in the hole due to the ground short so the trap door is not the problem, only a symptom.
Hope this helps you narrow down your problem.

#8 10 years ago

As mrjamma suggested that test should confirm what you found when testing to ground, which indicated a board problem. Are you up to soldering components on the board?

#9 10 years ago

more likely the row drive LM 323 is fried if with the switch matrix connectors removed from cpu you have same message ground short on row 2, 4, and 8

#10 10 years ago

It was the LM323 chip on U18. Replaced it and Funhouse is working 100% again. Thanks for every ones help on this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-ground-shorts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.