Topic Stats

• 218 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mot
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 128 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6bc0c70a08138c0bee95215cad8f83ac359cc5bd06b332b10e09479691e2b2c8[1].jpg
DSCN2937.JPG
DSCN2939.JPG
DSCN2936.JPG
DSCN2938.JPG
DSCN2935.JPG
DSCN2933.JPG
DSCN2934.JPG
DSCN2931.JPG
DSCN2932.JPG
DSCN2929.JPG
DSCN2927.JPG
DSCN2926.JPG
DSCN2924.JPG
DSCN2925.JPG
DSCN2909.JPG

There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 5 years ago

Now THIS deserves some talking about! Good luck, Evan! Very impressed and looking forward to your work. Have fun!

#52 5 years ago

As I said in another post. It is these threads that make pinside a great place. We need more pinball and less rumor and controversy around here.
Keep up the great Funhouse work.

#53 5 years ago

I got a lot done today as I finished stripping down the playfield. I had quite a bit of mechs to remove as well as all of those little posts that were really annoying.

DSCN2141.JPG DSCN2148.JPG DSCN2149.JPG DSCN2164.JPG
#54 5 years ago

This is what the playfield looks like after all the posts and bumpers and mechs are all off.

DSCN2173.JPG DSCN2174.JPG
#55 5 years ago

This is what the playfield looks like now. We wiped down the playfield, waxed it, wiped it down again, and then final cut it. This is what the playfield will look like for the rest of its life as I am just going to get a brand new playfield.

DSCN2175.JPG DSCN2176.JPG DSCN2177.JPG
#56 5 years ago

It's looking so much better already. Thank you for sharing with us!

I can't imaging undertaking this when I was 13. I just started a EM pitch and bat project at age 45, and I'm wondering if I'm old enough to be doing that...

#57 5 years ago

Wall art! (aka: a trophy from and for your work)

#58 5 years ago

Nice work so far. Curious how you label wires knowing you have desoldered solenoids, etc... Looking for future tips on how to do a full playfield swap.

- Rich

#59 5 years ago

Great job, as I and some others may learn something from your experience.

#60 5 years ago

Great work! I have a funhouse I'm starting soon. If you guys decide to sell that playfield I may be interested.

#61 5 years ago

This is fascinating. A brand new playfield is a good way to make sure you're happy at the end. Smart move.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Nice work so far. Curious how you label wires knowing you have desoldered solenoids, etc... Looking for future tips on how to do a full playfield swap.
- Rich

You tell them apart with lots and lots of pictures any wire you remove take a picture of it then you can go off of the pictures later and you won't get lost.

#63 5 years ago

Great job, man! Keep the pics coming. You are fearless. I'm in my late twenties and still get nervous about removing the harness and stripping the playfield.

#64 5 years ago

So I am starting to clean as I put a box of screws in the tumbler and they will be done in 2 days. Also I am starting to clean everything as in scrubbing the harnesses, rebuilding mechs, cleaning boards etc. Everything is really dirty a good example are these boards that were cleaned before they were really dirty and now they are squeaky clean.

DSCN2180.JPG DSCN2181.JPG DSCN2182.JPG
#65 5 years ago

Nice work, Evan. I was wondering what method and cleaner you use for the boards. They look great!

#66 5 years ago

This has potential for "thread of the year" keep up the good work.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinder:

Nice work, Evan. I was wondering what method and cleaner you use for the boards. They look great!

I use purple power and the method is soak whatever your cleaning in water and then soak it in purple power and let it sit for about 20 seconds then scrub it with a brush and dry it off and it will look great.

#68 5 years ago

This really shows you how much work it is to taking one of these games apart. Nice job

#69 5 years ago

I just put this on my fav's
what a good site this is

#70 5 years ago

Bolts came out of the tumbler and they look great! Also I am starting to scrub the wire harnesses and they are a pain. I have one done at the moment and it makes such fantastic difference.

DSCN2184.JPG DSCN2186.JPG DSCN2187.JPG DSCN2188.JPG
#71 5 years ago

Looking good Evan. Keep up the good work.

#72 5 years ago

Super impressive, Evan. This is some great stuff - we're totally cheering you on!

#73 5 years ago

Inspiration to all new guys to the hobby who haven't tackled this type of thing yet.

#74 5 years ago

Awesome!! Keep up the great work!

#75 5 years ago

I wouldn't drink from that bottle of water on the counter

#76 5 years ago

Removing and cleaning the wire harness is the part that scares me the most. How hard was it?

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from mot:

Removing and cleaning the wire harness is the part that scares me the most. How hard was it?

It wasn't bad you just have to remember to take lots of pictures and scrubbing them is a pain in the butt. But I cannot stress the importance of pictures so take lots of them.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from evanshane237:

It wasn't bad you just have to remember to take lots of pictures and scrubbing them is a pain in the butt. But I cannot stress the importance of pictures so take lots of them.

I've thoroughly shopped at least four machines, and I've always taken almost enough pictures. Even though the top of the playfield is always pretty bare, there's always still a TON of stuff on the bottom, including the wire harness. It looks super intimidating to keep removing stuff at that point. Every switch? Every lamp!? Ahhh!

#79 5 years ago

Excellent work...there is nothing quite like playing a clean, tuned, machine... especially when you're the one that did all of the work!

Keep the pics coming!!

#80 5 years ago

I have all the pics from my FH restore along with other peoples. You always need more pics as you never take enough. If you have a repro playfield and want to sell your original I will buy it from you. LMK.

Regardless, good luck. FH is a hard one. Don't worry about the screws breaking off, they always do on FH. I broke more than I didn't. OH, if you have a IPB repro PF be careful. The ink chips off easily.

#81 5 years ago

I have been doing a lot of cleaning on the machine as another set of screws came out of the tumbler and I rebuilt the pop bumper coil assemblies. I have had all my springs and coil parts come in so I replaced coil sleeves, springs and fibers. I also scrubbed all the parts we kept with a brush and purple power.

DSCN2190.JPG DSCN2192.JPG DSCN2195.JPG DSCN2196.JPG
#82 5 years ago

man those coils look great.

#83 5 years ago

Just wait until you put it all back together and there is like 10 screws left over. "Hmmm - maybe it really didn't need these - seems to play ok... whoa! What's that noise?"

1 week later
#84 5 years ago

Today I tackled the hard task of rebuilding the entire head. This was a very complicated task to do and was very hard to get back together. It was very dirty before we rebuilt it and we replaced springs, plungers, coil wrappers, etc. It looks very good rebuilt but first I must show you the before pictures.

DSCN2197.JPG DSCN2202.JPG DSCN2204.JPG
#85 5 years ago

I know very dirty but trust me when it was cleaned it looks much better than before. Here are the after pictures and now I am done for the day.

DSCN2207.JPG DSCN2209.JPG
#86 5 years ago

Looks great. Where do you get the coil wrappers? I know I have seen some before but cannot remember.

#87 5 years ago

Get them from Bay area amusements they have them for almost every machine.

#88 5 years ago

have you heard the news ..... funhouse 2.0 with dmd !!!

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Use frosted for GI where visibile and a clear cap where you can put behind a plastic. That game just pops with LEDs. Lots of cool options to do. CAn't see it in pic, but that back right plastic glows really well with pinks/purples or blue LEDs

funhouse_pf.JPG 345 KB

You need to draw a diagram of what LEDs were used where. That Funhouse finally convinced me to go out and get my own and do what you did with the LEDs.

1 week later
#90 5 years ago

And when I get my first game, I need to remember that you inspired me. Great work!

2 weeks later
#91 5 years ago

I hope you're using the "gentle" cycle when cleaning those parts!

#92 5 years ago

Keep it up, like someone said, this has potential to be Thread of the Year.

#93 5 years ago

How are you doing right now? Anything to report at all?

3 weeks later
#94 5 years ago

Sorry for not posting I have been waiting for the play field to come out and my cabinet is almost done.

#95 5 years ago

Take your time Evan, but do post when it's back

#96 5 years ago

Congrats on taking on this daunting task. I did my 1st playfield swap on an AFM recently, without a rotisserie. Not for the faint of heart! Good luck in your adventure.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from evanshane237:

Sorry for not posting I have been waiting for the play field to come out and my cabinet is almost done.

Not your fault! Not a problem at all! Hope this thread picks up more steam soon.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Congrats on taking on this daunting task. I did my 1st playfield swap on an AFM recently, without a rotisserie. Not for the faint of heart! Good luck in your adventure.

How did you manage to do this without rotisserie? I am planning on replacing my TAF's playfield, but I am pretty scared of starting to do it, as this would be my first full restore job, so all tips are very helpful!

#99 5 years ago

I just removed all of the topside with it still in the cabinet. Then I removed most of the bottom side with it standing upright in the cabinet. Then removed it and laid it face down on a table to remove the rest. Basically same thing to populate the new playfield although a few things were done with it leaning against a wall.

#100 5 years ago

Whoa...I just found this thread. I, too, just started restoring my Funhouse. Also a lot of your pics are truly helpful because mine came pre-disassembled and I have no idea how it all goes back together. Nice work, high five man.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Sale Pending!
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside