DSCN2931.JPG
DSCN2932.JPG
DSCN2929.JPG
DSCN2927.JPG
DSCN2926.JPG
DSCN2924.JPG
DSCN2925.JPG
DSCN2909.JPG
There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 10 years ago

I received a Funhouse as a birthday present and I am going to restore it. Here what I am planning to do new reproduction playful new plastics and ramps as well as new switches, LEDs (etc.) My dad is stephenshane237 on pinside and he does many restorations such as IJ TZ and RS he is currently doing a Corvette machine. This is my first pinball restoration so I am very nervous as I don't want to mess anything up on this machine. This is my favorite machine and I was so excited when I saw that he got me one.
These are the pictures of the cabinet linked below.

DSCN1961.JPGDSCN1961.JPG
DSCN1963.JPGDSCN1963.JPG
DSCN1964.JPGDSCN1964.JPG
DSCN1965.JPGDSCN1965.JPG

#2 10 years ago

ngoett's been doing them since he was around 13. I'm sure the old man will help you where you need it and it will be awesome when you're done.
It's a GREAT father/son hobby that teaches you ALL KINDS of skills and troubleshooting knowledge for other avenues in life.
Good luck and keep us posted with pics!

#3 10 years ago

Awesome and congrats! You'll definitely have good guidance from your dad, based on his restorations.

Please post pics as you go along, I'll be looking for them!

Now I just wish my 13yr. old son would have the same interest as you do.

#4 10 years ago

The playfield is really beat up there is mylar was cut into pieces on the playfield, Rudy's head is broken, it is dirty and neglected the rubbers look like they were never replaced as well as the light bulbs, when I fire up the machine three of the light bulbs light up and the GI's are out which shows that the machine was never cleaned.

DSCN1967.JPGDSCN1967.JPG
DSCN1968.JPGDSCN1968.JPG
DSCN1969.JPGDSCN1969.JPG
DSCN1970.JPGDSCN1970.JPG
DSCN1971.JPGDSCN1971.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Wow. Good going! My oldest is almost 12 and I couldn't get him to do something like this if his life depended on it. Thank your dad for teaching you so well!

#6 10 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the progress along the way. Good luck!

#7 10 years ago

He is on his own with this one making him source parts, order parts, make lists, decide on scheme, only there for guidance but I have a TOTAN and A Corvette custom machine to do myself, just wish I had more room 3 machines tore down might be a bit much.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

ngoett's been doing them since he was around 13. I'm sure the old man will help you where you need it and it will be awesome when you're done.
It's a GREAT father/son hobby that teaches you ALL KINDS of skills and troubleshooting knowledge for other avenues in life.
Good luck and keep us posted with pics!

Thanks I will be sure to keep everyone updated.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

Looking forward to seeing the progress along the way. Good luck!

Thanks!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Wow. Good going! My oldest is almost 12 and I couldn't get him to do something like this if his life depended on it. Thank your dad for teaching you so well!

Thanks! I just find the concept to be really interesting.

#11 10 years ago

Holy cow..dirtiest subway ramp ever! Rudy looks like a maniac with his eyes stuck wide open. Enjoy the project...getting there is half the fun

#12 10 years ago

Evan,
Good luck on your restoration. Here's a link to one I did a year ago. there may be some useful information in it.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-restoration

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

dirtiest subway ramp ever!

My TZ subways were about like that when I got it -- no idea how they get that bad, but they do. Evan, awesome to hear someone your age is getting into restoring games! Good luck with it and keep us posted on this thread. On a side note, can someone please buy me a Funhouse for my birthday??

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Now I just wish my 13yr. old son would have the same interest as you do.

So my dad would have said the same thing when I was 13. All I wanted to do was play with our IBM PS/2 computer instead of play ball or work on the house like my dad did. I ended up becoming a computer programmer. I think the world would be pretty boring if everyone's kids were just carbon copies of their dad's interests! Having said that its totally cool that at a young age this kid is tinkering.

#15 10 years ago

How cool is it that a 13 year old is digging in and doing this? Good on you! Keep us updated!

#16 10 years ago

Evan, very cool buddy. I look forward to watching your progress.
-Kyros

#17 10 years ago

Awesome! Looking forward to following this thread..

#18 10 years ago

Evan,

Lucky you. I look forward to following your progress.

Mike O.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Evan,
Good luck on your restoration. Here's a link to one I did a year ago. there may be some useful information in it.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-restoration

Yeah, my dad showed me your restoration on Funhouse. Good Job on it it looks great!

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Kyrosfear:

Evan, very cool buddy. I look forward to watching your progress.
-Kyros

Thanks

#22 10 years ago

I'm the same age as you. I don't even know how to restore pinball, but good luck!

#23 10 years ago

Evan,

When I was your age, I also took on projects that were "beyond my years"(usually meant for older people). Trust me when I tell you:

You will learn a great deal more than you expect, doing this restoration.
You won't realize until many years down the road that you learned certain things as a result of this process.
You will learn great techniques that will apply to more than just pinball.
You will learn the value and reap the benefits of hard work, determination, and artistry.
You will want to take on larger or more in-depth tasks as you get older and more experienced.
It won't always be super-fun and there will be speed-bumps, but finding the proper solution is all part of the process.

It's a great thing you're doing and a great journey you're embarking on. I've been down that road and, looking back, I am so glad I did that stuff and I don't regret ANY of it!

Have a blast doing this resto and keep us updated! (Don't forget to take a lot of pictures along the way!)

#24 10 years ago

love seeing funhouse restorations ! when the time comes... go with the delrin/brass jaw gear and replace the lock disc as a whole assembly ( that has the rod already attached ). the cheap jaw gears out there are terrible and the lock disc wears and can cause locking ball issues. good luck and will be watching this one closely !

#25 10 years ago

Nice to see someone so young getting to pinball

#26 10 years ago

Stripping down the machine I found it to be EXTREMELY filthy. Everything is just caked with dirt and screws are breaking off everywhere. Rudy is very sad at us destroying his home.

DSCN1987.JPGDSCN1987.JPG DSCN1980.JPGDSCN1980.JPG DSCN1983.JPGDSCN1983.JPG DSCN1984.JPGDSCN1984.JPG
#27 10 years ago

More dirt filled pictures...

DSCN1986.JPGDSCN1986.JPG DSCN1992.JPGDSCN1992.JPG DSCN2005.JPGDSCN2005.JPG DSCN2009.JPGDSCN2009.JPG
#28 10 years ago

Here is all the progress that was made today as well.

DSCN2010.JPGDSCN2010.JPG DSCN2011.JPGDSCN2011.JPG DSCN2012.JPGDSCN2012.JPG
#29 10 years ago

I have a NOS Fun House Translite 4 sale if anyone needs one

Art Fun House.jpgArt Fun House.jpg

#30 10 years ago

Evan... you inspire us "Old" guys. Great project, awesome game too.

#31 10 years ago

nice going, can't wait to see the final result.

#32 10 years ago

Good job bro! That game will clean up nicely! A good player's game is under all that dirt.

#33 10 years ago

Great project. Are you going to go with LEDs or incandescent?

#34 10 years ago

Good game to restore - I'm currently on my second FH restoration.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

Great project. Are you going to go with LEDs or incandescent?

Super bright LEDs is what I'm planning to do.

#36 10 years ago

I love the really dirty pictures! I've never done a restoration like this, but I have shopped a few machines. Cleaning up those layers of dirt is one of the most satisfying parts!

Good luck! I hope you can teach your dad a thing or two!

#37 10 years ago

wow, you have your work cut out for you with that one! can't wait to see the finished product. what an amazing project. don't give up - take it one step at a time. good luck!

#38 10 years ago

Great work, you are the most well spoken 13 year old that I have ever had the pleasure of reading, and you also show that you have a knack for electronics and pins, keep up the amazing job. Stay focused and you will see that you will get out of it what you put in, and all your hard work will pay-off in the end with an amazing machine that you can enjoy for years. I would like to meet your dad just to shake his hand, he is obviously doing it right.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from evanshane237:

Super bright LEDs is what I'm planning to do.

Use frosted for GI where visibile and a clear cap where you can put behind a plastic. That game just pops with LEDs. Lots of cool options to do. CAn't see it in pic, but that back right plastic glows really well with pinks/purples or blue LEDs

funhouse_pf.JPGfunhouse_pf.JPG
#40 10 years ago

Congrats on the Funhouse, looking forward to seeing the finished product. I’m sure it will turnout great

#41 10 years ago

Evan, great project you are doing

As said before, keep us posted on your progress, love to see it transform in your personal gem

(My 18 year old son, comes in the living room after some games and tells me "One switch on TZ not registering, and CftBL has two lamps out ..... Good luck". )

#42 10 years ago

anyone know where i can get some funhouse bumper caps/decals besides mad amusements ? while the price of $15 is good, the shipping of just as much just doesnt seem right !

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

anyone know where i can get some Funhouse bumper caps/decals besides mad amusements ? while the price of $15 is good, the shipping of just as much just doesnt seem right !

My experience is that actual shipping is charged and the balance refunded.

#44 10 years ago

Okay so today I took of all of the harnesses off of the machine. This truly showed me how dirty this machine really was and I was amazed. So here is what the playfield looks like after the first harness came off.

DSCN2036.JPGDSCN2036.JPG
#45 10 years ago

Okay, so it really doesn't look like anything happened but really a lot did. The second one is a lot more promising to show how simple it actually is. Here is pictures of me working with my dad, and also what the playfield looks like after the second harness off.

DSCN2060.JPGDSCN2060.JPG DSCN2074.JPGDSCN2074.JPG DSCN2089.JPGDSCN2089.JPG
#46 10 years ago

looks like fun.....oh, and you look exactly like your dad

#47 10 years ago

So it now looks like a lot more is done now and it looks much less complex. This harness takes up most if the space and without it the playfield looks almost empty.

DSCN2123.JPGDSCN2123.JPG DSCN2121.JPGDSCN2121.JPG DSCN2127.JPGDSCN2127.JPG
#48 10 years ago

Sorry about the last two pictures there they meant to go here on how dirty the machine was, whoops. Here is a picture of all the mechs and bolts that were taken off as well as what the playfield looks like now.

DSCN2130.JPGDSCN2130.JPG DSCN2131.JPGDSCN2131.JPG DSCN2129.JPGDSCN2129.JPG
#49 10 years ago

bravo bravo

#50 10 years ago

Very nice. Good work. This is motivating me to give a restore a shot sometime. Keep the good pics coming. Love it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
$ 29.95
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-full-restoration-by-a-13-year-old and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.