• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

742C5DF4-3290-489D-AFBB-53582D658266 (resized).jpeg
95235481-684F-4B41-B594-E61E36D97062 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

So I am rebuilding a funhouse. Currently rebuilding the flippers. This is the oldest game I have ever worked on, so first time I’ve run into the capacitor attached to the the leaf switch. I understand this is to reduce sparking. Has anyone ever upgraded the flippers to the WPC style that doesn’t need the capacitor? Is that even possible? Can you add a flip tropics board? Any other options? Thx

742C5DF4-3290-489D-AFBB-53582D658266 (resized).jpeg742C5DF4-3290-489D-AFBB-53582D658266 (resized).jpeg95235481-684F-4B41-B594-E61E36D97062 (resized).jpeg95235481-684F-4B41-B594-E61E36D97062 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

I’ve added WPC mechs to my games all the way back to firepower. All I’ve had to do is get this setup and make sure the coil and eos is right.

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williamsbally-machines-from-021992-to-101998.html

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

So I am rebuilding a funhouse. Currently rebuilding the flippers. This is the oldest game I have ever worked on, so first time I’ve run into the capacitor attached to the the leaf switch. I understand this is to reduce sparking. Has anyone ever upgraded the flippers to the WPC style that doesn’t need the capacitor? Is that even possible? Can you add a flip tropics board? Any other options? Thx[quoted image][quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-funhouse-playfield-swap-3/page/3#post-5619810

#4 3 years ago

You can upgrade the mech to 'fliptronics' style with extension springs, but that won't remove the need for a high voltage eos and the capacitor. Not really feasible to add a fliptronics board

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve added WPC mechs to my games all the way back to firepower. All I’ve had to do is get this setup and make sure the coil and eos is right.
https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williamsbally-machines-from-021992-to-101998.html

What eos and coil stop would be needed?

#6 3 years ago

You would need the normally closed EOS here. It doesn't mention whether that also includes the capacitor or not..

Coil and coil stop should match the diagram in your manual, same as with the current mech

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

What eos and coil stop would be needed?

The coil stop that comes with the mech if you’re replacing everything.

Make sure the eos is normally closed for this game and that the coil is proper per the manual. These are all options on pinball life to make the mech proper for your game.

#8 3 years ago

Sounds like my best bet is to rebuild to factory specifications and include the capacitor.

#9 3 years ago

the only other real difference with the fliptronic style mech is the extension spring. It's pretty easy to convert your existing mechs to use it too.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

the only other real difference with the fliptronic style mech is the extension spring. It's pretty easy to convert your existing mechs to use it too.

Now I'm getting confused ... I can just convert the spring and it's now the same? No need to buy the pinball life kit?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

Now I'm getting confused ... I can just convert the spring and it's now the same? No need to buy the pinball life kit?

No need to buy the kit if you have everything else. The older the game you’re converting, the more parts that will be different and it would make more sense to get the full assembly.

#12 3 years ago

Funhouse is the start of WPC so the mech is almost the same outside of the pawl and spring.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

The only difference between early 90s style mechs like funhouse has and the later style is that early use a conical compression spring and the later style uses an extension spring. The extension spring requires extra bits to mount it to, but you already seem to have those in your pic (the plate sticking out of the crank, and the holes on the EOS mounting bracket).

The other differences between the older and newer units are that they use a normally open EOS (without capacitor) and a taller coil stop, but you need the normally closed EOS and capacitor to work with funhouse since it doesn't have a fliptronics board, and you'd want to keep the same coil stop so that the flipper still acts the same as before

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

No need to buy the kit if you have everything else. The older the game you’re converting, the more parts that will be different and it would make more sense to get the full assembly.

It's the factory flipper set up. Do I need the kit ? Will I need a capacitor or can I just transfer over my old one? Thanks to all for the help !

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

It's the factory flipper set up. Do I need the kit ? Will I need a capacitor or can I just transfer over my old one? Thanks to all for the help !

Are you doing funhouse too? If your mech looks like the one pictured by the op above, all you need to do is replace the spring. And yes on capacitor. If the old one works, use it.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Are you doing funhouse too? If your mech looks like the one pictured by the op above, all you need to do is replace the spring. And yes on capacitor. If the old one works, use it.

Rudy and I thank you !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-flippers?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.