20121223_121207.jpg
20121223_002211.jpg
20121222_232823.jpg
20121222_191526.jpg
20121222_191324.jpg
20121222_191241.jpg
20121222_191206.jpg
#1 11 years ago

After fixing the GI issue in another thread, I decided to finally rerubber my FH. After getting halfway through, I realized it would be a waste of time since the ramps (and who knows what's beneath them were disgusting). So disgusting that I had added another thread a couple weeks ago asking if the ramps were supposed to be smoked (like TAF).

Anyways, I'm just about done removing them (pretty easy actually), but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the diverter out. I'm sure it's simple, but I'm missing the obvious here.

Here are some pictures as to just how downright nasty this game is. I actually wiped down the left gangway path before taking them (it was almost dark red/black). This is going to look AMAZING afterwards I imagine -- trying that Purple Power stuff, especially looking forward to being able to actually see the plastics, GI and flashers! I think it spent the previous 20 years in a bar or something.

20121222_191206.jpg20121222_191206.jpg 20121222_191241.jpg20121222_191241.jpg 20121222_191324.jpg20121222_191324.jpg 20121222_191526.jpg20121222_191526.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Purple Power on ramps? Never tried it.

You should clean them real good then flame polish! It's mildly risky, but fun!

Good luck. Post some after pics!

#3 11 years ago

yes, I should have mentioned that as well. Once I get them cleaned of surface grime, I do plan on using my plumbing torch per the amazing videos I've seen on here.

Anyone know how to get the ramp diverter rod out easily?

#4 11 years ago

WOW!!! I am in total disbelief. I completely disassembled the steps ramp and cleaned everything (ramp, wiring harnesses, switches, rubber switch covers, metal) with Purple Power. Gave it a rinse of water. Did some additional spot cleaning with PP and then another rinse. Used the torch to refurb the ramp and then lastly some NOVUS 2 to try to get rid of any remaining ball skid marks.

Look at the results! It looks like brand spanking new! The dirt and grime literally just ran off, including the metal and the orange switch covers.

Now for the problem, to remove the other ramp I am still stuck on the diverter. There appears to be a allen set key under the playfield, however I cannot back it out. Does anyone know what size key it takes? I tried both my English and Metric sets and cannot get it to budge

20121222_232823.jpg20121222_232823.jpg 20121223_002211.jpg20121223_002211.jpg

#5 11 years ago

i got the same result on a few pins. total shame when people dont maintain their pins. one pin i got had new ramps installed on it, but everything else was that black!!!! insane

#6 11 years ago

Be very careful flaming the steps ramp. Plastic is super thin around the steps.

#7 11 years ago

if you are doing all of that, take the underside ramp out and clean it too or the dirt will come right back

#8 11 years ago

Yep, subway is getting a bath as well (and I'm not referring to Hurricane Sandy).

OK, looking back through the RGP archives I'm definitely not the only one with the problem removing the diverter rod. Sonuva. Not sure if they used Lock Tite on these set screws or what, but my 3/32 allen wrench does nothing, and seems like the screw might even be stripped. Going to try to hit this thing with the torch in the morning because I resort to trying to cut a groove with the Dremel to get it out w/ a flat head.

#9 11 years ago

use a screw extractor for it. did you get a manual with the machine? should show the correct set screw size in it... so you can replace it. look at internet pinball database for the manual if not

#10 11 years ago

That's awesome. That FH will look soo different when all cleaned up. Wish I had a project like that. It's fun when you get huge results from before to after. Great job.

#11 11 years ago

Not sure if you got that screw out for the diverted yet but it looks like you've found out that they don't come out to easy. When I restored my FH I ended up having to drill it out and replacing it, it wasnt budging at all, maybe locktited in? Best of luck!

#12 11 years ago

I am restoring my FH and mine was in worse condition that yours is.

For the diverter, that allen screw does strip real easy and the pressue on it when I removed mine was unbelievable. I heated my with flame and then it came out a little easier but I had to purchase a new screw for it. The diverter assembly itself can be purchased if you have damage that as well.

#13 11 years ago

Great photos - Before n after.

#14 11 years ago

What an improvement and nice work! I guess FH when played out on location with all the ramps, the ops never bothered to waste time cleaning as long as it worked enough to draw money. Seems like most of these are beyond filthy.

#15 11 years ago

The story behind this FH is interesting. I picked it up almost a year ago from a wonderful couple outside Springfield, MO on a CL deal. The price was sub $1000. I was lucky enough to serendipitously see the ad less than a minute after it was posted and called the lady who put it up for sale. I figured I was in trouble since I had to leave a message and wouldn't be able to pick it up for 3 days (it's a 2.5 hour drive each way to where she was). I got a call back some 30 minutes later and we chatted for a bit. She said "since you seem so genuine and friendly, it's yours and I will hold it for you". I even offered her a downpayment via PayPal and she wanted nothing of it. FH was always one of my grail games. They had one at the boardwalk beach arcade when I was a kid and I knew it would be a fun, family-friendly addition to mine.

Long story long, my friend and I drove down there and find that the FH, although filthy, is actually in amazing condition (I only had to fix Rudy's eye linkage). She begins to tell me of what ensued in the mere hour before she pulled the CL ad after returning my call. It's not surprising that she had over 50 calls/emails on the machine, but to my amazement there were more than a handful of people who threatened her because she sold the game too cheaply and that she should have sold locally for 2-3x the price. I'll never forget her words just before Xmas -- "I know I made the right decision here. That was my price. I'd rather see this game go to a good family home and see enjoyment then it end up in the hands of someone just looking to make a quick buck". She had a point and I've returned the favor this year selling a couple games to friends at well below the current price surge.

After thanking her about 10 times for being so kind and holding the game for me over a simple phone call, we got to chatting about whatever. I mentioned that we used to live in Springfield where I had worked at the Nat'l Weather Service. And wouldn't ya know, the husband was a recently retired air traffic controller at the adjacent airport, and someone that I had spoken with on a nearly daily basis for 6 years requesting air clearance to launch our weather balloons. Crazy small world we live in.

Alright, back to my set screw and hopefully ramp/PF cleaning.

Have a nice Sunday all.

#16 11 years ago

Awesome story and really small world. Thanks for sharing!

#17 11 years ago

I am guessing most of us have great stories like yours. I have met some great people in the year I've been in the hobby. Sure - there are always a few charcters without scruples, but most folks are good people.

#18 11 years ago

Well, looks like FH is out of commission for a while. Grrrrr. After several failed attempts, I had no choice but to dremel the drive shaft assembly. It surely didn't help that the set screw faces the cabinet giving you very little room to work with as it is.

I found the drive arm assembly that I had to cut through (and set screw) here:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14185

But I am having trouble locating a new drive shaft assembly. Anyone? Bueler?

#19 11 years ago

Main ramp before and after. Also cleaned up incredibly well, as did all the wires/metal, with my treatment of Purple Power, rinse, flame, Novus 2.

The one negative is that both top cover plates (this ramp and the steps) are yellowed and I don't think it's factory. Is there a technique to remove that or am I hosed?

Also, look at the nastiness under the ramps that have likely never seen the light of day. I didn't even know there was a Whirlwind easter egg back there! The photo flash really doesn't illustrate just how nasty this looks.

Now onto the subway.

20121223_121207.jpg20121223_121207.jpg 20121223_121323.jpg20121223_121323.jpg 20121223_133201.jpg20121223_133201.jpg

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Well, looks like FH is out of commission for a while. Grrrrr. After several failed attempts, I had no choice but to dremel the drive shaft assembly. It surely didn't help that the set screw faces the cabinet giving you very little room to work with as it is.
I found the drive arm assembly that I had to cut through (and set screw) here:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14185
But I am having trouble locating a new drive shaft assembly. Anyone? Bueler?

How did you damage the drive shaft assembly? You referencing the actual arm with the "flag" attached to it?

#21 11 years ago

Damage is an understatement. I had to saw through it with a Dremel carbide cutting blade to get it out. The blue compound they apparently put on the original set screw had become one with the drive shaft and the drive arm. I tried cutting a notch into the screw, but that didn't help any. I should have taken video as I cut into it, trying to initially preserve the shaft, You can't even tell where the screw was.

So yes, in addition to the drive arm, I need the actual shaft with the "flag" attached to it.

7 years later
#22 3 years ago

A lot of heat will do it. Take a scrap Allen wrench of the correct size put it in the bolt. Heat the wrench with a small torch. The heat will transfer to the bolt and will break the locktite. Go slow and take care not to strip the head. It will come lose if you are patient. I’ve done it many times.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 29.95
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-filth-and-ramp-removal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.