(Topic ID: 256494)

Funhouse diagnostic buttons issues - are they part of switch matrix?

By EvanDickson

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8808685195fe4a870d94d740965a0c369a98212e.png (resized).jpg
2019-11-28 17_32_50-Williams_1990_Funhouse_Operations_Manual_November_1990_includes_low_res_schemati (resized).png
2019-11-28 16_44_29-Funhouse diagnostic buttons issues - are they part of switch matrix_ _ Tech_ Alp (resized).png
WPC wiring with battery corrosion (resized).png
IMG_20191128_121115102 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

The diagnostic buttons on my Funhouse started acting up. The service credits / back button is acting as the volume / down button, and activates repeatedly after being pressed. The volume / down button doesn't seem to function.

No visible shorts or loose wires at the button or the coin door board. Diodes at the coin door board are good.

I'm thinking since two switches seem to have failed / combined at the same time, there's probably a board issue. When I look at the manual the diagnostic buttons are on the switch matrix chart for Funhouse, but they're off to the side as "dedicated ground switches" rather than having a column and row. Manual is a little sketchy.

Do the diagnostic switches get routed through an IC on the MPU?

------

Update (in case anyone ever comes back to this with the same question):
The diagnostic buttons are not really part of the switch matrix. But they connect to the MPU on J205, and are controlled by transistor U16 on the MPU. The issue is likely a failure at U16, but it is not proven because in the end corrosion damage was demonstrated so I just replaced the whole MPU.
Page 3-16 of the manual notes wire colors.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

At J212. Please post a picture of the CPU board.

IMG_20191128_121115102 (resized).jpgIMG_20191128_121115102 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

Looks like trace actually is fading in spots. I might replace the mpu instead.

#9 4 years ago

Fading? That actually is battery corrosion in all areas I blocked off in yellow. Also, you have 2 wires soldered directly to the board, bypassing the J207 connector. So you'll need to crimp a new connector as well since I see it is even missing part of the connector housing there too.
[quoted image]
You also need to check all 4 connectors at the bottom at of the MPU board for any corrosion on the connector pins as well since they will need to be repinned to mate with a repaired/new board.
[quoted image]

I'm definitely going to swap mpu with my new addams. I don't think the connectors need to be repinned to match, the aftermarket MPU I have says it's compatible, but I'll double check. I honestly didn't notice the board jumpers before. They were sort of bundled with the remote battery pack and I thought they were one and the same. I bet there's a relationship between the misbehaving switches and those, they'll belong to J207 I'm sure.

#12 4 years ago

Page 3-16 from the manual shows the wire colors and pin locations. Looks like diagnostic switches go to J205. I was remembering that wrong, but appears you are missing 1 wire for sure out of J212. Make you check J212, J205, J207 and J209 for battery corrosion on the pins.
[quoted image]

That's perfect, thank you! I missed that page.

Diagnostic switches do go to "Transistor" u16, which is an IC, and behaviour does seem like a failing IC.

One of the wire bypasses isn't used. Mystery to me why it's there. Only 7 of the 8 columns seem to be used in the game.

I think any corrosion on the board was halted with vinegar long ago, up close there's really no green stuff, it's all coppery. But I still think I'll repin J207 back to stock and swap in my new Addams MPU. I've already made a deal for the game and don't want any potential failures in the near future, would rather a happy pinball friend with a solid machine.

#14 4 years ago

Nope. Some of the parts have white fuzzy crystallization, which is also battery corrosion that comes from the batteries outgassing. All marked in yellow as I mentioned, is all battery corrosion, including that dark black spots within the traces. It will continue to migrate through the traces unless the parts are replaced and the traces sanded down, then neutralized. Just pouring vinegar on the board will not do the job.

A project for some other day (year). I'll probably throw the board in my to-do box and order a new one to replace the one I'm plundering.

I appreciate all this help, thank you very much!

#16 4 years ago

*** Everything is gold after MPU swap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EvanDickson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-diagnostic-buttons-issues-are-they-part-of-switch-matrix?tu=EvanDickson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.