Quoted from HarrieD:
Say what???? Is that how you see the hobby? You must nutralize the acid (technically it's a base, not an acid) with vinegar and give it a good scrub. I usually let it stay for an hour or so and wash it of with some alcohol.
Then all the affected parts will be desoldered and thrown away. After that the board will be sanded down and the parts can be replaced after a first optical check. Then comes the moment of thruth, the test. Wirebridges will be added and as last a silicium battery.
You left out one important step - sealing the board once the repair is done. That will greatly increase the odds of the alkaline damage not returning.
But still, not all are repairable. If you're a hobbyist and your time costs you nothing, the parts for the repair are certainly not expensive. But, if you're doing rework for hire, the amount of time one of these repairs take is the limiting factor.
It's usually worse than the pics make it out to be, and that one looks kinda iffy already.
I wouldn't throw the old board away - someone on eBay will buy it and have a good time fixing it - but I don't think it's gonna be cost effective to repair professionally.